BlackBerry�s oddball Passport smartphone is actually selling out

BlackBerry never intended for the Passport to be a phone that everyone would want to buy, but it�s clearly got a lot of people excited. It�s already sold out at two online stores and has taken the number one spot in Amazon�s unlocked phones listing.

According to BlackBerry CEO John Chen, more than 200,000 Passports have been ordered since the device launched on Wednesday. That figure isn�t in the same ballpark as the iPhone 6, but it�s undeniably impressive for a device from a company that appeared to be crashing and burning. And it�s already sold better than the Amazon Fire phone.

The chunky, awkward-looking Passport is also sold out not just on BlackBerry�s own store, but also over at Amazon. Early orders shot it past all other unlocked phones, and that�s amazing to see for a couple of reasons. For one, it�s a BlackBerry. On top of that, it�s a $600 phone. While that�s not necessarily expensive for an unlocked flagship device, it�s a lot more than Amazon shoppers normally spend.

Other phones in the top ten include the $80 Blu Advance 4.0 and the $170 Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini � which is more than a year and a half old. Top-shelf phones don�t generally sell that well in this particular category on Amazon, but the Passport is for some reason.

What is it that�s convincing people to buy the Passport? Is it the fact that BlackBerry sweet talked Amazon into letting them ship the phones with their App Store pre-installed? Is it the massive battery and crazy endurance it provides? The QWERTY keyboard?

Maybe it really is that weird square screen. Reviewers have been saying how good desktop websites look on it and how awesome the extra space is for productivity apps. BlackBerry was aiming the Passport at hard-working business types, and so far it looks like the hit the mark.

BlackBerry?s oddball Passport smartphone is actually selling out | Mobile | Geek.com
    09-28-14 10:27 PM
    Nice read; thanks for sharing....
    09-28-14 10:32 PM
    Cool indeed!
    09-28-14 10:35 PM
    Dude selling out means very little. They can buy 100 phones and say they sold out. Everyone calm down....

Q10 Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 10:37 PM
    No that's 200000 phones just on amazon and shop blackberry. That doesn't include all the other carriers. So I think some excitement is justified.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 10:43 PM
    Dude selling out means very little. They can buy 100 phones and say they sold out. Everyone calm down....
    Except it wasn't 100 phones.
    09-28-14 10:56 PM
    The only ones that seem to be getting overly excited are the people in denial over BlackBerry's successful launch of the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 11:22 PM
    I hope that BlackBerry made 200,000 white Passports!!
    09-28-14 11:29 PM
    I think even us hard core BlackBerry fans are surprised. I mean, it took many of us around here months to get past the "it must be a joke" when it first leaked, to... Okayy guess it's for real,.. I guess it looks neat,.. to WOOO TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 11:35 PM
    Good start. Hopefully all the bashers will re-review the phone after using it for a period of time and give an unbiased fair review.
    09-28-14 11:36 PM
    It's one thing for BlackBerry to beat expectations, but it's another for a websites to actually be reporting it. So great to read.

It's good to see BlackBerry's new plan start to pay off... about time people start taking notice.
    Acumenight likes this.
    09-28-14 11:57 PM
    great news..............hope it keeps getting better for them
    09-29-14 01:02 AM

Q10 Posted via CB10
    So you only read the title (not the article), yet you post. Ok.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 01:10 AM
    Mr. Apple Mr Sammy Sung and Mr Chen Blackberry all sitting at the poker table table. Apple shows it has a pair of 6's
    Sammy Shows is has a Flush ....Blackberry raises the bet knowing it has a Passport and another phone to be launched later.

Who's hand would you bank....Apple doesn't have a new set of devices until late 2015 to combat the Passport and Classic....

LOOK OUT !!!!!! Royal Flush.....
    zocster likes this.
    09-29-14 02:06 AM
    Mr. Apple Mr Sammy Sung and Mr Chen Blackberry all sitting at the poker table table. Apple shows it has a pair of 6's
    Sammy Shows is has a Flush ....Blackberry raises the bet knowing it has a Passport and another phone to be launched later.

Who's hand would you bank....Apple doesn't have a new set of devices until late 2015 to combat the Passport and Classic....

Bingo, you hit the bullseye. Apple blew it's brains out on the bendable iPhone 6. I think the word "Vanillia" best describes it. And guess what, next year your guaranteed a minor tweak (iPhone 6s). BlackBerry has two more launches in the next year with the one in March likely a high end touch screen with new services/ BB10 developments. Coming out of September, it is ironic to realize that eyes have shifted to BlackBerry and Apple fans are the ones grumbling. Let's face it, BlackBerry t exudes innovation whereas Apple is as exciting as geritol.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 02:32 AM
    Except it wasn't 100 phones.
    Nah good for them you're right whether it was 100 or 1000

Q10 Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 09:30 AM

Lolllllll apple doesn't have to combat the passport or classic, that's the last thing they are worried about. I'm sure they sell more phones per day a year after a device launcher then BlackBerry does in 6 months.

Q10 Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 09:31 AM
    The new iPhone 6S thicker, heavier, not made out of aluminum foil. Talk about innovation.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 09:49 AM
    The new iPhone 6S thicker, heavier, not made out of aluminum foil. Talk about innovation.

Posted via CB10
    It'll have a structural I-beam, which they invented, obviously.

Posted via CB10
    Nayalm and bbmtna like this.
    09-29-14 10:34 AM
    Lolllllll apple doesn't have to combat the passport or classic, that's the last thing they are worried about. I'm sure they sell more phones per day a year after a device launcher then BlackBerry does in 6 months.

Q10 Posted via CB10
    Wow how insightful!

I will lol you for numerous unintelligible comments.

First off 100 and 1000 are not the same as 200,000.

Secondly 200,000 high end smartphones sold in 24 hours (in only 2 stores reporting numbers not including carriers) means a lot of things. It means that there are 200,000 of your latest product offering in the hands of your customers. It means that likely large percentage wi not be buying your competitors products for a while. It means that gamble on the design payed off. It means that you sold more than you thought you would sell.

Apple does have to worry when they, as well as they are doing today, have been losing market share all over the world (mostly to android) and now have another popular device to compete with.

Anyone who says 200,000 in sales in only 2 stores that are selling them (more from all the global carriers) is no big deal has to have some brain damage. Do you know what $600 US times 200,0000 is? So if you launched a product (with a risky design gamble too) and sold $120 million in one day of online sales you wouldn't be ecstatic?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by zocster; 09-29-14 at 10:55 AM.
    Nayalm and Smitty13 like this.
    09-29-14 10:38 AM
    It has been a nice week for everyone here, positive sales, OK earnings call, etc etc, don't spoil the mood eh.

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    09-29-14 11:04 AM

Q10 Posted via CB10
    100 hundred and 200 THOUSAND.... slight difference there.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    09-29-14 11:30 AM
    I suspect that some of those sales were from folks that are on Rogers or other carriers. Great news but it could mean there will be a softer launch when it does come to those carriers/markets.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 06:08 PM
    I hope that BlackBerry made 200,000 white Passports!!
    I second that. I never got a white 9900, Z10 or Z30. I want a white passport no exceptions lol

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-29-14 06:26 PM
    A red Passport would look very nice indeed
    09-29-14 08:42 PM
29 12