Ok so i am curious, i know the att phone will probably come with alot of bloatware, and locked, but if i asked them to unlock it for me, I know people are abit confused with this new mobile unlock act that was recently pass, but I do feel i can use this to my advantage, so heres my two q's

1. will it be the same as an unlocked phone.

2. will i be able to stay with att if i have them to the above mentioned process?
    09-28-14 08:34 PM
    1. Aside from any bloatware, you will have to wait for AT&T to release updates (unlike with factory unlocked phones, where BB pushes out updates, and all you have to do at most is take your SIM card out and check for updates over WiFi.)

2. Yes. Locked phones don't stop working on the locking carrier if you get them unlocked.
    09-28-14 08:40 PM
    thats another q, if i get it unlocked by att i'll have to wait for them to send me updates still? tbh thats what i want to avvoid lol
    09-28-14 08:41 PM
    thats another q, if i get it unlocked by att i'll have to wait for them to send me updates still? tbh thats what i want to avvoid lol
    Based on the behavior of previous branded but unlocked devices, yes.
    09-28-14 08:43 PM
    aww, damn it, lol so theres no getting away from the carrier even if they do unlock the phone lol unless i wind up flashing it to default bb10 OS
    09-28-14 08:44 PM
    aww, damn it, lol so theres no getting away from the carrier even if they do unlock the phone lol unless i wind up flashing it to default bb10 OS
    You can always get new OSes from a tool called Sachesi, which helps you pull down official (i.e. carrier) OSes anytime any carrier in the world releases one. For the Q10 and Z30, it didn't even matter if you had a CDMA phone and the OS had been released by a GSM carrier. Then there are other ways too: getting another carrier's dead or alive SIM, autoloaders, etc.
    09-28-14 08:50 PM
    Well what i was hoping for is if att did unlock the phone for me that i could get updates from bbry instead of att which is why i brought up flashing stock bbry10.3 or am i thinking like an android user? Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    09-28-14 08:52 PM
    I'm not sure if the SIM lock status has any bearing on OS updates even on Android. If I'm not mistaken, you're talking about a bootloader unlock. I have a non-rooted, bootloader locked, SIM unlocked Android phone with a stock ROM and I don't get any updates because on Android the update path is Google--OEM--carrier, and the carrier seems to have given up.

If your carrier doesn't push OSes out, there are still ways to get new, official OSes for almost all BB10 devices, thanks to Sachesi et al. Obviously, they're not all as easy as doing a check for updates with your carrier SIM in, but they range from as easy as putting in another carrier's SIM to a complete wipe and load (autoloader.)
    09-28-14 09:00 PM
    I'm not sure if the SIM lock status has any bearing on OS updates even on Android. If I'm not mistaken, you're talking about a bootloader unlock. I have a non-rooted, bootloader locked, SIM unlocked Android phone with a stock ROM and I don't get any updates because on Android the update path is Google--OEM--carrier, and the carrier seems to have given up.

If your carrier doesn't push OSes out, there are still ways to get new, official OSes for almost all BB10 devices, thanks to Sachesi et al.
    wait you have an unlocked boatloader non-rooted device with a custom rom,. how can you do that, as far as i know except for android L you can't have a custom ROM w/o root access..and if you do have a custom rom unless you did it yourself most likely it is rooted and that is why you won't get updates because rooting removes a special command file that google looks for, or some jazz,

my thing is if I unlock a carrier locked phone i,.e the passport, if i flashed it with stock bbry software will it be fine and recieve updates from BBRY normally as the phone is no longer tied to ATT, yet still function on ATT networks

In short i'm trying to get a GSM unlocked phone discounted on a 2 year plan, so ya think of me as a cheapskate but if what i am questioning can be done, why not?
    09-28-14 09:11 PM
    my thing is if I unlock a carrier locked phone i,.e the passport, if i flashed it with stock bbry software will it be fine and recieve updates from BBRY normally as the phone is no longer tied to ATT, yet still function on ATT networks

In short i'm trying to get a GSM unlocked phone discounted on a 2 year plan, so ya think of me as a cheapskate but if what i am questioning can be done, why not?
    Just do what you're thinking, you won't lose anything over anyone else. No matter what, OS updates seem to be tied to the carrier that the phone is on with a valid SIM card UNLESS, it's a phone variant designed for that specific carrier (i.e. like Verizon devices). You seem techno-savvy enough so you'll probably just end up learning about Sachesi and upgrading that way as soon as the earliest carrier releases an update.
    09-28-14 09:21 PM
    I'm not to sure on LTE bands and such. Will the unlocked BlackBerry passport available on the BlackBerry site get LTE on AT&T if I purchase it from there rather than waiting on AT&T?

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 10:01 PM
    wait you have an unlocked locked boatloader non-rooted device with a custom stock rom,. how can you do that, as far as i know except for android L you can't have a custom ROM w/o root access..and if you do have a custom rom unless you did it yourself most likely it is rooted and that is why you won't get updates because rooting removes a special command file that google looks for, or some jazz,
    FIFY

And I agree with Animal. You seem like someone who should have no issues using Sachesi. Here is how easy it is to use it: http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...update-957892/

I'm not to sure on LTE bands and such. Will the unlocked BlackBerry passport available on the BlackBerry site get LTE on AT&T if I purchase it from there rather than waiting on AT&T?
    Yes. Some people have been reporting some issues getting LTE running, but I really believe those are all provisioning issues as in behind the scenes stuff that isn't getting taken care of when people activate the phone. Fixable stuff, and the phone is AT&T LTE capable.
    Jamie Wooten likes this.
    09-28-14 10:11 PM
    FIFY

And I agree with Animal. You seem like someone who should have no issues using Sachesi. Here is how easy it is to use it: http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...update-957892/

Yes. Some people have been reporting some issues getting LTE running, but I really believe those are all provisioning issues as in behind the scenes stuff that isn't getting taken care of when people activate the phone. Fixable stuff, and the phone is AT&T LTE capable.
    Thanks for the help Raino

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 10:12 PM
    Ok so i am curious, i know the att phone will probably come with alot of bloatware, and locked, but if i asked them to unlock it for me, I know people are abit confused with this new mobile unlock act that was recently pass, but I do feel i can use this to my advantage, so heres my two q's

1. will it be the same as an unlocked phone.

2. will i be able to stay with att if i have them to the above mentioned process?
    If you buy the phone on contract with AT&T they will not unlock the phone until your 2 yrs are up. You would have to buy it full price to try and get them to unlock it. On my Z10 they refused to unlock it till my 2 yrs were up or I would have to pay the early termination price. So I found a third party website to unlock it.
    09-28-14 11:28 PM
    As Raino has said, ita probably stuff not being taken care of setting up the phone.(when bought from shopbb or amazon). I was in the same situation. Leaning on getting from one of those two outlets.(tired of looking at a carrier logo on my phone).

So I'll be grabbing it once avail again. Unless of course, ATT releases first. Then I'll just deal with it. Either way, will be buying outright. If from ATT, maybe a back door could be ordered to remove any logo from ATT.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.1154 - CB10
    09-29-14 05:00 AM