Does anybody remember the Game Gripper? It was a rubber gamepad which fit over keyboards for various phones, giving a console-like controller for games. Unfortunately it looks like the company disappeared last year, but I was thinking how amazing the Passport would be with one of these, and emulators (NES, GBA, etc..) would fit the square screen nicely. I might try making one!

Has anybody tried any emulators on their Passports? How well do they run, and can the keyboard keys be mapped to controls?
    09-28-14 01:12 PM
    Sounds good Haven't thought about that yet. Unfortunately I'm not a Passport owner..

Awesome = Z30
    09-28-14 01:15 PM
    I belive you can map hardware keys to emulators like "my boy!" I've seen it done on a Q10. Should be the same for the passport.

Heh, I just noticed this is my post #4000
    pin:2B7CAF06
    Last edited by FrankIAm; 09-28-14 at 05:03 PM.
    09-28-14 01:20 PM
    Excellent, so it could work then. I haven't got a passport yet either.
    09-28-14 03:23 PM
    I haven't heard about the Game Gripper until now. I find that the guy did a bluetooth version that is using the interface of a bluetooth keyboard.

The bluetooth version is a great idea because I believe the interface is supported by many phones (I hope the Passport is one) and on the other hand it protects the physical keyboard (which may be damaged by intensive game use).

09-28-14 03:31 PM
    I planned to build my own Game Gripper for my Blackberry Q5. It should cover the keyboard with just the right buttons to play the GBA emulator (the only one which is currently working for me).

My current requirements is that it has to be solid, with little plots to correctly push the keyboard below it, it should be non-slippery for the Q5 and for your hands, with something that can handle the moisture from the hands (so no paint, I think). Maybe I'll begin with a very simple prototype with cardboard. Something I don't know how to do is making buttons that can be pushed, but won't fall apart from the gripper. I refuse to use soft plastic, as it is very uncomfortable to push through. It should remain clicky.

So am I. I thought about it, then the realization will be far more complex than what I though (as always). If I begin something concrete I'll let them know.
    11-19-14 07:10 PM
    For anyone interested in game emulation, see retroarch. Look for libretro in google, and get the bar file. You'll have to side load, but then you are all go. Several bluetooth or USB controllers work including the wiimote. My favourites are the old arcade games, and the playstation emulator. Works brilliantly. The PS3 controller doesn't work (thanks sony) but you can buy a generic controller that is compatible for only $20ish. Miracast or HDMI and you have a console.

PS. you can also install the android version, however it is slightly slower, and you have to use the on screen overlays for controllers (no bluetooth).
    11-19-14 09:16 PM