As the post is titled: why can't I Swipe backward from within and out of the hub settings section of the hub? Is this by design? Is the hub settings section build outside of the hub in something other than cascades? What's the deal?

BB10 shouldn't have these sorts of frustrating inconsistencies at this point, especially after such a big update (10.3 on the Passport).

Posted with Passport via CB10
    09-28-14 11:51 AM
    you need to use the backward arrow. That's the way it's been since BB10 and still is in 10.3
    09-28-14 12:25 PM
    you need to use the backward arrow. That's the way it's been since BB10 and still is in 10.3
    Umm...I know that. It doesn't make sense, though. It's an issue.

09-28-14 02:56 PM
    Actually it does make some sense. The gesture you're talking about is the peek gesture. It can be disabled by applications on a per screen basis. I do this in some applications when the peek gesture could be confused with another gesture used in an application. An example you may be familiar with is swiping between pictures is the picture view card.

The other reason to disable peek is when it is not possible or practical to keep the previous screens up to date. It is easy to just allow the user to peek at the way the screen looked when they left, but that probably isn't what you expect either. Since you are in the settings page you may be changing the way the hub behaves and therefore how it should look. Rather than wasting resources computing how the hub should work for each change, it is appropriate to disable the peek gesture.

The full application level peek still works by sliding the back arrow right to view the stack all the way back to the tab menu.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 05:02 PM
    Oh that makes the most sense, as you're updating the settings which would likely adjust whatever would be peeked at that. Though there are no toggles in the first settings page.

Still, it's annoying to find elements in BB10 that don't behave as one might expect them to.

How do you explain the inclusion of peek in the the regular settings app?

09-30-14 02:28 PM

How do you explain the inclusion of peek in the the regular settings app?

Easy. You're peeking back to a static list. About the only thing that might change is the order of the list.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 04:11 PM
    Easy. You're peeking back to a static list. About the only thing that might change is the order of the list.

Posted via CB10

Why Can't I Swipe in Hub Settings?-img_20140930_164527.png

Static list you say? Try again. Why can't I swipe backward to this screen? And there are no toggles or options on the main hub settings page, so how does it matter?

09-30-14 04:45 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140930_164527.png 
Views:	662 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	301948

Static list you say? Try again. Why can't I swipe backward to this screen? And there are no toggles or options on the main hub settings page, so how does it matter?

The main settings screen you asked about is static.

This on has toggles and options below it. I suppose the developer could have let you peek from here if you hadn't made any changes, but not if you have. But how confusing would that be? Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.

In any case supporting peek back to the previous level is an option the programmer has. Supporting peek comes with certain requirements. Sometimes the requirements are easy to meet, sometimes hard or impossible.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 08:33 PM
    It's been a huge annoyance. It's these little things that still make BlackBerry 10 inconsistent. Remember back in 10.0-10.1 when we had AIR applications (e.g. Settings). Well they finally went native in 10.2 and you can swipe back. The last and final place to get that fixed seems to be the settings in the Hub. It is quite frustrating that it hasn't been fixed to take on this feature.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 08:49 PM
    It's been a huge annoyance. It's these little things that still make BlackBerry 10 inconsistent. Remember back in 10.0-10.1 when we had AIR applications (e.g. Settings). Well they finally went native in 10.2 and you can swipe back. The last and final place to get that fixed seems to be the settings in the Hub. It is quite frustrating that it hasn't been fixed to take on this feature.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for understanding what I'm trying to say. Definitely reminds me of the old settings Air app.

10-01-14 12:18 AM
    You can. Swipe on the back arrow.

Why Can't I Swipe in Hub Settings?-img_20140930_224446.png

Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.1154 CB10
    10-01-14 12:45 AM
    You can. Swipe on the back arrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140930_224446.png 
Views:	401 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	302029

Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.1154 CB10
    Wow, you're right. Amazing. Wtf? How does this make any sense NOW? Even more frustrated now that I know BlackBerry just hasn't gotten around to fixing this yet.

10-01-14 01:07 AM
    Wow, you're right. Amazing. Wtf? How does this make any sense NOW? Even more frustrated now that I know BlackBerry just hasn't gotten around to fixing this yet.

Wow is right. I told you this in my first reply.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 03:49 AM
    If you want an extreme example go into the main settings to Display and change the language. You can't do anything until it finishes changing but you can peek before and after.

All aspects of the UI could be made to operate exactly the same way, peek enabled everywhere. But you may run into a lot of these pauses. You wouldn't be able to swipe back to a previous picture, or scroll a map view to see what is West.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 04:36 AM
    If you want an extreme example go into the main settings to Display and change the language. You can't do anything until it finishes changing but you can peek before and after.

All aspects of the UI could be made to operate exactly the same way, peek enabled everywhere. But you may run into a lot of these pauses. You wouldn't be able to swipe back to a previous picture, or scroll a map view to see what is West.

Posted via CB10
    But I still see no reason to not allow swiping in hub settings. There are no toggles on the page before returning to the hub.

10-01-14 07:22 AM
    But I still see no reason to not allow swiping in hub settings. There are no toggles on the page before returning to the hub.

That's fine. But just because you don't see a reason for it doesn't mean there isn't one. You could always suggest a change to BlackBerry. Maybe I'm wrong and they just left peek turned off for no reason at all.
    10-01-14 11:46 AM
    That's fine. But just because you don't see a reason for it doesn't mean there isn't one. You could always suggest a change to BlackBerry. Maybe I'm wrong and they just left peek turned off for no reason at all.
    Nobody has told me a reason yet. There are no toggles on the main hub settings page. You keep telling me it's because you can't peek when updating settings...but there is no actual setting to change on the page before you'd swipe back into the hub. And the fact that you CAN swipe back by swiping from the back button (odd) means that there is literally no technical reason why you shouldn't be able to swipe backward normally.

Also, there is the weird bug where when you do swipe from the back arrow, it opens a mini hub selection pane when it wasn't open before. And you can't swipe it closed once you're back in the hub, as that'll only take you to the active frame screen. You have to tap one of the hub icons to fix the issue.

Look, it's just messed up.

Attachment 302231
    10-01-14 01:55 PM
    Nobody has told me a reason yet. There are no toggles on the main hub settings page. You keep telling me it's because you can't peek when updating settings...but there is no actual setting to change on the page before you'd swipe back into the hub.
    Software is a pursuit of precision. It is executed by a computer after all. So you need to think precicely when trying to understand the underlying reasons of how things work.

Some UI behaviours are recommended, some are enforced by the software. The programmer has to decide to allow or disable peeking from a page when that page is created. If peeking is allowed, and the previous page may change before or while it is peeked, the programmer must arrange to handle events telling the program when a peek starts and ends. And probably a mirriad of other things if the program is complex.This obviously comes before the user first sees that page or any that may come after. So the programmer has to decide whether to allow peek, and therefore maintain the previous page, before any of the options are seen by the user, let alone changed.

What I actually said was:
    • when implementing the peek gesture the software is obligated to keep the page peeked at (in this case the hub) up to date, otherwise what is the point of the peek?
    • I believe that the programmer(s) who wrote this part of the code decided that maintaining the hub display while the user was in the optiions area was not the best option so turned peek off. I can't read their minds so I could be wrong. But given my experience writing programs for Cascades I am confident I'm pretty close.

And the fact that you CAN swipe back by swiping from the back button (odd) means that there is literally no technical reason why you shouldn't be able to swipe backward normally.
    This is a different gesture that has different meaning.

Also, there is the weird bug where when you do swipe from the back arrow, it opens a mini hub selection pane when it wasn't open before. And you can't swipe it closed once you're back in the hub, as that'll only take you to the active frame screen. You have to tap one of the hub icons to fix the issue.
    Not a bug, actually the way it is designed. When you drag the back button what you see happen is what is supposed to happen. It happens the same for all other applications that have a tab menu. You will notice that when you drag on the back button, what ever tab button is active at the time, the Hub for example, is covered by the three bars that are normally almost, but not quite, off screen to the left. Pressing there takes you back to the currently selected tab. And the three bars retract again.

Look, it's just messed up.

Attachment 302231
    Or you just haven't figured out how to drive it yet.
    10-01-14 03:57 PM