What will happen if future touch screen devices make use of this "deformable touch screen" technology? No more blackberry keyboard exclusive experience :'(

I think they must buy this company and research further on this before is too late...

Source:
    Technology

Best wallpaper channel: C002103C3 Wall Paper Wednesday
    A_Aviator_A likes this.
    09-27-14 08:38 AM
    Very astute suggestion!
    09-27-14 08:41 AM
    What will happen if future touch screen devices make use of this "deformable touch screen" technology? No more blackberry keyboard exclusive experience :'(

I think they must by this company and research further on this before is too late...

Source:
    Technology

Nice Catch!

Posted Pantlessly via My Kick @ss BlackBerry Passport!!!
    09-27-14 08:45 AM
    Either purchase them or align with them.

Z10 (STL 100-3) with vitamin 10.2.1.3337
    09-27-14 08:50 AM
    Saw the concept video a few years ago, good to see it's progressing. Someone should post this on BlackBerry's icanmakeitbetter forum

Posted via CB10
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    09-27-14 08:52 AM
    Yup, the next big thing is here. RIM has got to buy them but can they afford them, I wonder? Their prototype kinda looks like the Passport
    09-27-14 08:57 AM
    It's a gimmick. The lumps that (slowly) appear are no substitute for a proper keyboard. All it really is is a lumpy touchscreen. An actual touch screen keyboard would be better than a lumpy one. It's the worst of both worlds.....
    RyanGermann and BroncoVAL like this.
    09-27-14 10:00 AM
    I read an article about this last year and there was similar conversation about it then. I think the technology is interesting but I worry that it would be compared to "Sure Press" available. On those first BlackBerry Storm phones. We all know how horrible that went.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 10:45 AM
    Betcha if today , another company were to release devices with Sure Press , it would be considered an " innovation " !!!
    09-27-14 11:20 AM
    Betcha if today , another company were to release devices with Sure Press , it would be considered an " innovation " !!!
    SurePress was a workaround for the BBOS 5 selection / activation UX paradigm. It's not needed any more and would not be particularly helpful... Pressure sensitivity would be the logical successor to SurePress, and I think or at least assume that Samsung is already doing research with it.
    09-27-14 12:18 PM
    That's some future ship right there. I agree with OP as long as it's not all hype.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    09-27-14 12:31 PM
    Well, I'm not a virtual keyboard fan, all my phones were blackberries with physical keyboards on it, but I have to say that with the Z10 blackberry make some real improvement and I tested other virtual keyboards and no one compares to the one on BB10, I even feel strange when I try to use a keyboard phone again.

I think that #1 reason of people hating virtual keyboard is the lack of accuracy and precision cause you don't actually "feel" the key being pressed, so, just think about a combination of BB10 virtual keyboard + deformable screen technology, who will care about a slider or qwerty phone again?

09-27-14 01:01 PM
    09-27-14 02:28 PM
    Interesting concept.

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    09-27-14 06:44 PM
    Interesting..I would think so too.

From my ? phone.
    09-27-14 06:48 PM
    This came up a few years ago too and nothing ever came of it
    09-27-14 06:53 PM
    Agree with Greenberry666.
    What would make more sense imho would be a Lebedev like technology applied to Passport's keyboard:
    Keys made of led that can show different letters/numbers depending on the situation.
    That would allow to get rid of the on-screen virtual rows and propose a very polyvalent keyboard: one keyboard that could switch from european language to Hindi and arabic in a glance.
    It could also show emoticons or punctuation with a swipe down, and even allow personal mapping of the keys!

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 08:01 PM
    Very interesting. Worth a look by BlackBerry.
    09-27-14 08:13 PM
    What would make more sense imho would be a Lebedev like technology applied to Passport's keyboard:
    Keys made of led that can show different letters/numbers depending on the situation.
    That would allow to get rid of the on-screen virtual rows and propose a very polyvalent keyboard: one keyboard that could switch from european language to Hindi and arabic in a glance.
    It could also show emoticons or punctuation with a swipe down, and even allow personal mapping of the keys!

Posted via CB10
    Expensive as heck, though.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 09:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah right, you're talking about a phone that will cost the same as a porche design without the porsche design... In fact, this technology give the fell of buttons over the touch screen, no printed letters on it, it can do what you're talking about cause is a deformable touch screen.

09-27-14 10:48 PM
    Expensive as heck, though.

Posted via CB10
    Well maybe expensive but at least for a good reason (unlike the porsche design)
    After all I don't know how much it would cost to BlackBerry (even in the case they'd buy a licence from Lebedev)

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 03:27 AM
    Yeah right, you're talking about a phone that will cost the same as a porche design without the porsche design... In fact, this technology give the fell of buttons over the touch screen, no printed letters on it, it can do what you're talking about cause is a deformable touch screen.

It's not what i'm talking about : Lebedev keyboard is still a mechanical keyboard that sports leds instead of printed letters on the keys. (and lately Lebedev adopted another technology: Instead of putting indivdual OLED screens inside the cap of every key, Lebedev overlaid transparent keys atop a single OLED display)
    On a pc keyboard it looks like that but I can't see why this couldn't be applied to a smaller keyboard and on a smartphone.
    Your technology doesn't provide the mechanical feedback (even with a vibrating response that you could add) and you couldn't type without looking the screen because it remains an evolution of a full touch keyboard.
    That's why i'd rather have a mechanical keyboard with Lebedev Tech, you'd have the same hardware as we have now -with trackpad ability too- but only implemented with LED keys (with the possibility of mapping them, swipe down to change languages, symbols etc.)

A BlackBerry phone with that sort of technology would be worth some bucks imho (and if you also avoid Porsche Design then it's a win-win imho)

edit: http://store.artlebedev.com/electron...mus-popularis/

As seen on Lebedev's website a full keyboard with more than 80 keys (and sometimes large keys that looks like little screens) costs to the public 1176$.
    So on a larger scale of production (as Lebedev is clearly a very narrow niche market at that price), and with less keys (about less than half of the 80 keys model as the passport only got 3 rows, and i think about the tenth of this keyboard's surface) i think Blackberry could make that kind of keyboard a reality at a reasonable price.
    Another possibility is a license (if Lebedev's keyboard is patented?) or altogether "buy the idea"?
    I really find those LED keyboards like a perfect combination with BB10 gesture and its keyboard's trackpad ability!
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BroncoVAL; 09-28-14 at 05:30 AM.
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    09-28-14 03:32 AM
    Nah this is too gimmicky...maybe Samsung will buy them? Hehehe

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 04:13 AM
    Yea Apple for example. LOL! Those guys can attach an "i" to a piece of dung (iDung) and people will camp out for days to buy it. LOL!

I love it when a coworker of mines started bragging about how great his new iPhone update is. "They've invented this technology now called NFC. I love Apple!" he said. Fool!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 11:21 AM
    Yea Apple for example. LOL! Those guys can attach an "i" to a piece of dung (iDung) and people will camp out for days to buy it. LOL!

I love it when a coworker of mines started bragging about how great his new iPhone update is. "They've invented this technology now called NFC. I love Apple!" he said. Fool!

Posted via CB10
    Yeah , but isn't their app called iNFC ?!
    09-28-14 11:27 AM