I have an Xperia mini pro, it was my first and only smart phone (up till now). The reason I chose it was because of the keyboard and Android. I use many google service (mail, calendar, map, contact...) so Android seemed to be the best.

My phone has been acting up for a while (well, it's old) and I need to find a new one soon. But I want a physical keyboard, for no real reason rather than it's my preference. Plus that I have small hands (one reason I bought mini pro), and nowsaday smartphones are just too big.

I notice Q10 lately and really love the design, the size is still big for me, but at least it's still among the small size of those new smartphone. And I'm wondering if it would be able to replce my android. I'm not saying which one is better, mini pro is the only smartphone I ever use. But Android OS has been fulllfilling my needs, so I'd like to know if Q10 could do what my mini pro currently could (and smoothly):

Connect to all google service (mail, search calendar....especcially authentica)
    Block number, call, message...
    Fake call
    Automatically turn on and off notification, 3G, wifi...This is the most important thing to me cause I'm rather forgetful
    I use tasker on my mini pro and had to play with it for a while to set up the profile, but it works wonder. i.e: open browser and 3g automatically turned on, close browser it'll turn off. Notification sounds automatically turned off at 11pm at night and turned on next morning...

Also, how is battery life? If I just leave my minipro there, it'll run out 1% per hour.

Can anyone give me some advice?
    09-26-14 07:52 AM
    Only you can decide which is best for you, BUT I can offer my opinion having used (still use) both Android and BB devices. I currently have a Z30 and a One Plus One, BUT I used to have a Q10, plus I have owned many MANY keyboard BBs in the past (9930, 9780, 9650, 8700, etc) First off NOTHING compares to the BB keyboard and the Q10 is no exception. The keyboard is simply brilliant best in class. Additionally yes you can run all of the google services you mentioned except for Google Maps, but BB Maps will suit your needs just fine, plus there ARE some 3rd party navigation solutions. Most Android apps will work just fine on the Q10, except for those that depend on google services. You can install the Amazon store and then easily install android apps. Additionally you can install other stores such as 1Market and Snap which also work. But the next version of the BB OS with include the Amazon store in the OS. In all honesty yes you WILL have to make a few compromises as you will encounter some apps that just won't work, and there IS a little bit of a learning curve. It's worth it! Many pick up the OS UI in hours, some take a few days, after you master it you will love it. The BB HUB the central inbox (similar to the notification area in Android) is VERY useful and functional, you you learn to love that!
    Only you can decide which is best for you, BUT I can offer my opinion having used (still use) both Android and BB devices. I currently have a Z30 and a One Plus One, BUT I used to have a Q10, plus I have owned many MANY keyboard BBs in the past (9930, 9780, 9650, 8700, etc) First off NOTHING compares to the BB keyboard and the Q10 is no exception. The keyboard is simply brilliant best in class. Additionally yes you can run all of the google services you mentioned except for Google Maps, but BB Maps will suit your needs just fine, plus there ARE some 3rd party navigation solutions. Most Android apps will work just fine on the Q10, except for those that depend on google services. You can install the Amazon store and then easily install android apps. Additionally you can install other stores such as 1Market and Snap which also work. But the next version of the BB OS with include the Amazon store in the OS. In all honesty yes you WILL have to make a few compromises as you will encounter some apps that just won't work, and there IS a little bit of a learning curve. It's worth it! Many pick up the OS UI in hours, some take a few days, after you master it you will love it. The BB HUB the central inbox (similar to the notification area in Android) is VERY useful and functional, you you learn to love that!
    laketrout73 likes this.
    09-26-14 08:19 AM
    Are you sure Google maps won't work for him? It works on my z30 just fine.

Posted via CB10
    pkcable likes this.
    09-26-14 08:22 AM
    As an Android User Should I Consider the Q10???? yes absolutely!

Android... = Games fun massive applications.... but not as secure..
    BlackBerry OS10 = Business Secure BBM (good range of apps and growing now) - give them time...

At the end of the day security is more important to me hence i love BlackBerry.
    09-26-14 08:24 AM
    Are you sure Google maps won't work for him? It works on my z30 just fine.

Posted via CB10
    Yes it might, and there are 3rd party solutions too. Do you get the turn by turn?
    09-26-14 08:38 AM
    I would say no.

Your list of apps is large and doesn't seem to have any particular priority. Tasker gets a mention as important, and that in particular has no direct analog in BlackBerry

I took a while running a Q10 in the simulator to see if I the compromises worked for me, they seemed to, and no regrets AFAIC but I made certain.

I also had a Mini Pro and really rated it (a bit thick perhaps). A good hardware keyboard was very high on my list, and the Q10 excels.

You've got my sympathy - very slim pickings for people wanting a modern Android handset with a hardware KB
    miasao likes this.
    09-26-14 08:57 AM
    Thank you for all the answer.

My priority probably is to let the phone automate everything. I don't mind learning the OS or a certain app, I did take a while for me to understand tasker.

Is there anyway to automatically turns off the mobile data when the screen is sleep and turns it backs on when you turn the screen again?
    I found Ringscheduler that control notification, not sure if it'll work with BB10 though...
    09-26-14 09:50 AM
    Quit your considering and do it!

Posted with X10 via CB10
    09-26-14 09:52 AM
    A little while back, there was discussion of Action Trigger in Beta:

BlackBerry App Roundup for June 27, 2014 | CrackBerry.com

if you're happy scripting things (and you probably are if you're a big Tasker fan) there's BRON for timed execution of scripts:

BRON - BlackBerry World

but if you definitely want the sort of fine control that Tasker offers, you can't get it yet and as far as I know, nobody's promising it.

If most of the things you want to do with Tasker are related to preserving battery life, the Q10 does have excellent battery life anyway and seems to sip power when you aren't doing anything with it.

There might be other things you want to do with Tasker that aren't necessary because of the way the Q10 works.
    miasao likes this.
    09-26-14 11:10 AM
    One other thing, the Q10 has nfc, which means you can trigger certain actions using smart tags

How to use NFC tags with your BlackBerry 10 phone | CrackBerry.com

I bought these off Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...UvbUpU10892025

and stuck a few to a couple of bluetooth speakers and some cheap BT headphones, the idea being that I could just tap my Android phone against them and have bluetooth streaming switch over. In practice, the NFC tags were detected, but the bluetooth switch often just didn't work (Motorola XT890, admittedly a bit of an oddball Android phone).

Nothing to stop you using them to trigger other things - might cover some more of what you want.
    09-26-14 11:17 AM
    Yes it might, and there are 3rd party solutions too. Do you get the turn by turn?
    The navigator works for me if that is what you are referring to. I only have it on here because it us more up to date than BlackBerry maps. They really need to get it up to snuff.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 11:24 AM
    No doubts, just do it. As an experienced Android user I have no regrets switching to my Q10. Before that I had BlackBerry 9780 and BB9900. Had Moto Droid3 after 9780 and then got myself 9900. Had also Moto Milestone before 9780. I can assure you that BB10 is fast and so smooth comparing even to new Android devices.
    So don't even think about it just buy yourself a good BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 12:52 PM
    Ilmizi,

I had the same experience but had already decided that very smooth and very stable performance was high on my list compared to a wide range of specific apps, and that if I couldn't find a native version on something, it wouldn't be a hardship to live without it.

Not sure if the OP is in that position. Pity he can't test drive one for a while, I'd be surprised if he wasn't convinced.
    09-27-14 02:28 AM
    I had the all the big android handsets (Note 3, Xperia Z1, I even rocked the colossal Z Ultra for a while) and honestly the Q10 is my favourite phone ever!! I've had mine for about a week now but I reckon I managed to pick up handling BB10 in about an hour or so.

Note on battery life, my Q10 has been sitting on my desk, unplugged all day. It was 37% when I woke up this morning (didn't charge it last night because I wanted to see how it would fair) and with 3G off all day and WiFi turned on and off intermittently it's now on 32%. That's not bad for 9+ hours
    09-27-14 04:38 AM
    If you xperia to Q10 you would bee very surprised. You will ask yourself when this BlackBerry was all my life. Just one thing make difference that is apps, I was on android have 7-8 apps don't know I used but on BlackBerry I have just viber, ebay,tune in radio and crack berry app, now I realise that I don't need them. Q10 is very good phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 06:24 AM
    Is there anyway to automatically turns off the mobile data when the screen is sleep and turns it backs on when you turn the screen again?
    You can use the Bedside Mode in BB10, which gives you an option to turn off all wireless connections when you enter the mode. The connections will re-connect when you turn on the phone and get out of the Bedside Mode.

Posted via Z10
    09-27-14 11:38 AM
    OP. As stated, whatever works best for you. I've used all platforms. Currently utilizing a Q10 as my main device and I just bought another Q10 and I already have a Z10. Anyway, no regrets.

Posted via my ultra-sexy White Q10 on 10.3.1.632 (*_~)
    10-07-14 06:09 PM
    You will love the Q10 I had a note2 and made the switch. There are ways to make it work for you! The fit in my hand is nice and it's a classy looking phone.

Posted via CB10
    HighFlight88 likes this.
    10-07-14 07:55 PM
    You will love the Q10 I had a note2 and made the switch. There are ways to make it work for you! The fit in my hand is nice and it's a classy looking phone.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. Glad I switched from my Z for awhile.

Posted via 10.3.1.634 /632 apps and a few more .bars
    10-09-14 01:15 AM