Dear all,

As much as I was excited to see the official release of the phone, I am now confused, the Passport is REALLY big :-(

I'm even considering the Classic at this stage, but the specs are really nothing to be excited coming from a Q10...
    dont know what to do...

Who is feeling the same way? and what are you going to do?
    09-25-14 07:49 AM
    It does look big. But seeing in person might be different...I'm hoping I can see one at ATT soon and know for sure.
    Jamie Wooten likes this.
    09-25-14 08:08 AM
    I keep thinking that a 4inch model would have been a lot better, and still have enough real estate for productivity

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 08:11 AM
    It does look big. But seeing in person might be different...I'm hoping I can see one at ATT soon and know for sure.
    I'm hoping the same thing but I'm not holding my breath. The AT&T stores here in my area weren't to keen on Blackberry.
    Looked at it person yesterday for the first time. Thought it was large but very manageable. No where near at large looking as a note. I really think this device exudes premium quality.

Posted via CB10
    Most ever review I've seem (outside of BlackBerry fan sites) have called it awkward to use.

Really think a Z30 with a slide out keyboard (up-sized Torch) would have been a more appealing and easier to use form factor. But I'm sure BlackBerry went to a number of focuses groups and studies to come up with the Passport and made sure it would appeal to their target audience.... which I guess you and I aren't.
    09-25-14 08:15 AM
    I think people are too hung up on the lack of one-handed use. Once you accept that this is meant for two-handed input, one-handed viewing and navigation, the giant screen is better from a reading and editing content perspective when compared with the competition. For a Galaxy Note type of phone to have the width of the Passport, it would be pants-escapingly long (double entendre not intended), and no one would be reading vertical content at its entire length. The big square makes sense for the use-case and user profile BlackBerry is looking to serve.
    09-25-14 08:23 AM
    There is no AT&T store that is keen on BB. I am here in Atlanta, Ga and I have been to many stores and I get the same song and dance. they do not like the BB and always trying to get you to buy something else

I'm hoping the same thing but I'm not holding my breath. The AT&T stores here in my area weren't to keen on Blackberry.
    09-25-14 08:28 AM
    The thing about this phone is it is completely different than everything on the market.
    Unless you are a BlackBerry fan, the Z10, Z30 and Z3 just blend in with all of the other touchscreen phones. The Q5 and Q10 can be mistaken for an old legacy BlackBerry that every puts down for being behind the times.
    BUT the Passport will attract attention, everyone will want to know what it is. This will lead to a impromptu demo of some of its amazing features and will get people talking about the "new" BlackBerry.
    "I saw this weird looking phone today from BlackBerry it had a giant screen and a touch sensitive physical keyboard, the guy who has it showed me some really cool features. I thought BlackBerry was out of business, but this phone was kinda cool. "

Posted via CB10
    tuxedo323 likes this.
    09-25-14 08:33 AM
    Most ever review I've seem (outside of BlackBerry fan sites) have called it awkward to use.

Really think a Z30 with a slide out keyboard (up-sized Torch) would have been a more appealing and easier to use form factor. But I'm sure BlackBerry went to a number of focuses groups and studies to come up with the Passport and made sure it would appeal to their target audience.... which I guess you and I aren't.
    I am a qwerty fan, always been, never got a touch screen, i'm wondering what i'm going to buy next?
    as I mentioned, there's no need for a "classic" same specs+trakpad, but the size looks a bit more decent
    (i'll ended up buying the passport, i know it already anyway)
    09-25-14 08:49 AM
    tried a demo unit yesterday, its awkwardly big... but fits in the hand well feels good... but still not sold i need more time before i decide.
    tomsobon likes this.
    09-25-14 09:07 AM
    I went to the Telus store downtown by ACC yesterday and played with the passport for about 10 minutes. Note, I am a big fan of BB fan and a supporter and at first I was not sure about the Passport but it has grown on me in the past few weeks.

My first impression of the passport in person was "wow" the screen does look a beautiful and seems better than the iphone screen. After handling the passport (though had the security strap on it), I did find it a bit too wide. I also read some prior comments around the space bar, slower to type on the keyboard and a fourth row of keys would have been a good idea and I agree with all of them. I type very fast on the 9900. On the passport, I was very slow and made many typos and I found the spacebar quite small and odd where it was positioned. I even felt if the phone was slightly smaller, and had 4 rows like the 9900, this would be the right phone for me. I will still give the passport a chance, and like to handle it without the security strap, but part of me is leaning towards the Classic as it might be a better fit for me. I also spoke with a person who was testing out the passport and classic and he preferred the classic over passport and will be getting a Classic.

Those are my two cents, but I do think its a beautiful phone and I do like how blackberry came out with a unique/bold phone, however might not be for me as I did find it a bit too wide.
    09-25-14 09:24 AM
    I feel that the Passport is too big for one handed use and it reminds me of the earlier BlackBerry from the 90's the blue one with the track wheel on the side those were meant for two handed use and to me it's a matter of getting used to it..for me using two hands will mean I won't be using my phone as much which is a good thing according to my wife and kids ;-)

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 09:28 AM
    I just wish to debunk the inability to use the Passport one-handed because I just tried one at a Telus store. Even with the super bulky cage, it was possible for me to type. Yes, it was uncomfortable, but then again I hate typing one-handed on my Z10.

And get this: I have small hands, where my fingertips don't quite reach the ends of size M gloves!

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    09-25-14 09:35 AM
    I think people are too hung up on the lack of one-handed use. Once you accept that this is meant for two-handed input, one-handed viewing and navigation, the giant screen is better from a reading and editing content perspective when compared with the competition. For a Galaxy Note type of phone to have the width of the Passport, it would be pants-escapingly long (double entendre not intended), and no one would be reading vertical content at its entire length. The big square makes sense for the use-case and user profile BlackBerry is looking to serve.
    Yep definitely. This phone was never meant for one handed use yet here are the knockers going on about like it's blasphemy.

Posted via CB10
    gokulesh likes this.
    09-25-14 09:37 AM
    I think that the size is completely relative to the user. smaller people will hold this thing and feel like they are palming an ipad and others will hold it naturally and will likely be able to even pull off some one handed operations. Glad to see people are at least going to test it out, Its going to be completely relative to the users size. Same reason i have a petite girlfriend....
    09-25-14 09:40 AM

To be honest, I too thought that the phone will be huge and unwieldy. However, when you get to physically hold it and use it, it's not nearly as large as its made out to be. I had an opportunity to try it yesterday at Telus because I wanted to compare it to an iPhone 6 Plus which I'm thinking to get.

For starters, there are nearly as wide or wider phones out there, but the Passport is one of the widest, no doubt. What makes it seem unwieldy when compared to say iPhone 6 Plus or a Note 3/4, is the fact that it is stubby, short and wide. The square-like appearance creates an illusion that the device is too bulky to use. Realistically though, it's a two handed phablet, just like every other actual phablet out there with a screen larger than 5.2" approximately. It's no more wieldy or usable than an iPhone 6 Plus or the Note series. These are all really big phones. Aesthetics are a personal taste, and just like every other phablet, this one is not for everyone. For instance, the iPhone 6 Plus is an extremely tall phone, only taller device is the Galaxy Mega, which is both wider and taller than any other device in the market, including the Passport and the upcoming Note 4.

Unlike the iPhone 6 Plus, the phone feels extremely well built and the keyboard is really neat. The iPhone 6 Plus feels well built as well, don't get me wrong, but it is obvious that the length is a problem even when you first see it, and this is starting to show in the reports of the phone bending slightly under pressure when pocketed. In all, BlackBerry Passport is a good device from a physical build and appearance standpoint, but the appearance will not appeal to everyone, just like all other phablets.

The big minus for the Passport is still the ecosystem. Even with Amazon, it's weak. Nothing more to say about that piece.

Overall, I'm still on the fence between buying an iPhone 6 Plus or the Passport. It's a tough choice that I think comes down primarily to ecosystem vs. communication efficiency.

Posted via CB10
    Joao Oliveira and hnguyen like this.
    09-25-14 09:41 AM
    indeed i saw many reviewers saying the same thing for passport but never said it for big devices like the note series or even new iphone or other big 5.2+" devices.
    09-25-14 09:42 AM
    I just got mine and haven't unboxed it yet I'm on the way home but the devices on the BlackBerry Store looked so big! I was shocked as it was the first time seeing it in person but has its advantages! The phone was never meant for one handed use apart from just picking it up and holding it to your ear while in phone call. It's not for everyone.

P.S. Web browsing is orgasmic on the Passport

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 09:50 AM
    the one hand use is really not an issue, who cares, i type on my Q10 with two hands anyway!

my problem is, coming from a Q10, the Classic is not appealing!!!! it's just a Q10 with a slighly larger battery!
    or am I wrong and the classic has upgraded specs? from the leak infos I still see a dual core 1.5gh and 2gb of ram....

so unless you're on BBOS, i dont see the point exchanging a Q10 for a Classic!
    09-25-14 10:10 AM
    The thing about this phone is it is completely different than everything on the market.
    Unless you are a BlackBerry fan, the Z10, Z30 and Z3 just blend in with all of the other touchscreen phones. The Q5 and Q10 can be mistaken for an old legacy BlackBerry that every puts down for being behind the times.
    BUT the Passport will attract attention, everyone will want to know what it is. This will lead to a impromptu demo of some of its amazing features and will get people talking about the "new" BlackBerry.
    "I saw this weird looking phone today from BlackBerry it had a giant screen and a touch sensitive physical keyboard, the guy who has it showed me some really cool features. I thought BlackBerry was out of business, but this phone was kinda cool. "

Posted via CB10
    I agree. The best marketing tactic is the phone itself and how it sparks curiosity.

From the days of yore, when 'Black'Berrys were Blue.
    09-25-14 10:38 AM
    I keep thinking that a 4inch model would have been a lot better, and still have enough real estate for productivity

Posted via CB10
    It may be Passport Mini..

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 11:01 AM
    When I saw the Passport in person yesterday I was actually shocked how big it is. My initial reaction was that I no longer wanted it. After I walked away, I started to feel like, I really could find a use for a phone that size. If not for my current financial situation, I might have went back and bought it.

I'm actually kind of glad I'm temporarily broke, because what I really want is the white one. Adding to my debt is pretty much all that's keeping me from ordering it right now. Maybe by the time I have paid for my new fridge, the white one will be available and the waiting will have been worth it.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 11:07 AM
    I just saw it in person. It really is quite wide, wider then I made it out to be in the pictures. No, that's not what she said lol. The keyboard feels like it will be easy to get used to though.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 11:15 AM
    Finally got to try it out again but a proper live unit and gotta say with my typing questions answered I'm now 70% sold on this and very well will be my next buy.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-25-14 06:04 PM
28 12