My friend also got his UNLOCKED BB Z30 from a local GSM Shop in Europe and wants to visit the US.
    He has a T-Mobile SIM card in it.
    Since I read here, that T-Mobile does NOT support or even carry BBs, will his Z30 still work like using a local WIFI, emails, web surfing and phone calls?
    Now for phone or voice service, can he get a SIM card from T-Mobile even though they do not support BlackBerrys?
    If he can use a SIM card offered in the US, I explained to him that the only difference will be is he will be having a US number.

09-24-14 12:08 AM
    WiFi based data usage is independent of a carrier SIM/data plan. So other than finding WiFi networks, he won't have any issues with data on WiFi.

I'm assuming your friend has the STA100-2 model of the Z30. If this is so, the best data speeds he would see with a T-Mobile USA SIM would be HSPA+, and that too only in some places called the 're-farmed cities.' If he isn't in one of these refarmed areas, his phone will be on 2G.

T-Mobile USA not supporting or carrying BB devices doesn't mean phones won't work on their network. It just means they don't sell them any more, or don't support devices they didn't sell.
    JJStripes likes this.
    09-24-14 12:16 AM
    I have a unlocked Z30 and use it on T-Mobile here in the a states and I have zero problems.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 12:18 AM
    I have a unlocked Z30 and use it on T-Mobile here in the a states and I have zero problems.

Posted via CB10
    Same here. I use a 100-5 model.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 12:21 AM
    WOW!!! CB is AWESOME!!!!!! Very quick responses.
    Thanks to all.

I will pass it on to him.
    09-24-14 12:31 AM
    Same here. I use a 100-5 model.

Posted via CB10
    Ditto!

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 12:32 AM
    But remember, it depends on the model. Sure a 100-5 works perfectly on TMO, because it actually uses the TMO frequencies. A 100-2 uses some, but will never give you the same coverage on TMO as the 100-5.
    09-24-14 02:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    By that you guys mean 4g speeds a go?

CB10 on the Q10
    09-24-14 03:44 AM
    I have a Simple Mobile (T-mobile) chip in my 100-3 and I receive perfect 4G service. So it depends on model of Z30 and service area.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 05:38 AM
    He bought the STA100-2
    09-24-14 10:21 AM
    What about using a Z30 (or a Passport) on Cricket Wireless here in the US? I have never used an unlocked phone before so am worried about spending the money and not being able to use it, or use all of its features? I want a very high end phone, but since I only want occasional business related internet access, I am thinking about saving money on my fixed monthly budget and doing one of the unlimited talk and text plans with unlimited 3G data and maybe 500MB 4G LTE data. I called Cricket and all they gave was the company line that they don't support Blackberry. I am wondering if I get one of these new BB phones unlocked, if I can purchase a Cricket sim card so I can port over my old AT&T phone number and then use the new BB phone with my current phone number, but do so thru a discount carrier like Cricket? All input is welcome. Thanks.
    09-25-14 11:16 AM
    My friend will be staying at a hotel or with his family here in the US.
    So very much likely, he will be using Wi-Fi only.

LOL >>> I told my friend that since he got the STA100-2 model with limited coverage, I told him don't worry because he was very lucky to get a BB Z30 in the first place, especially from Europe (as BBs are even more less used there)
    09-28-14 11:23 AM
    My Verizon is unlocked and I have a AT&T sim in it and works sweet
    09-28-14 08:09 PM
    So, change in plans...as far as my friend goes.
    He is indeed staying in the US permanently to study here work here.

So now like I posted, he was VERY lucky enough to get a BB in Europe (literally) within a few hours (UNLOCKED) from Hungary.
    He has a Hungarian T-Mobile SIM. Model is a STA100-2, also already mentioned above.

He tends to use only Wi-Fi, and also he wants to make local phone calls.
    So what additional steps he would have to take when he arrives to the States?
    He has a Hungarian T-Mobile SIM already, but of course, he would need a local US number to make and receive calls.
    So should he just go any T-Mobile shop here in the US and buy a SIM with a local US number?

I do not know myself how this works when someone comes from abroad like Europe to the US.

Please explain, then I will pass these replies onto him since he does not know very well English.

09-29-14 12:45 PM
    So, change in plans...as far as my friend goes.
    He is indeed staying in the US permanently to study here work here.
    If he needs a US SIM card just to make phone calls and/or send text messages (i.e. not necessarily for data,) then yes, T-Mobile will be fine. There is a prepaid $35 per month unlimited talk and text plan with no data. For $10 per month more, he can get unlimited texts and calls to Hungarian landlines.

Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, No Credit Check | Monthly 4G | T-Mobile

International Prepaid Phone Plans | International Rates | T-Mobile

Do know where is going to be studying/working? Which city?
    09-29-14 02:22 PM
    Is the prepaid $35/Month plan connected to a 2 year contract? Or is this a non-contract plan?

For example, in Hungary my friend adds certain amount of credit to his T-Mobile SIM and when he makes calls or does texting, that amount will drop, except when he is using Wi-Fi.
    Now when that credit amount drops to lets say....ZERO, then he goes to like a newspaper stand or somewhere like that were they can add more credit to his phone.

Basically he wants to have it like he did in Hungary were they add credit to his phone and when he calls or sends text messages the credit amount drops. But when that amount starts to drop close to zero credit, then that way they can refill his credit amount. So he would pay something like $20 or more in cash and they add to his SIM card. Its sort of like a refill.

He is wondering if this can be accomplished in the States as well using T-Mobile?
    Last edited by bbfreak999; 09-30-14 at 12:40 AM.
    09-30-14 12:03 AM
    Is the prepaid $35/Month plan connected to a 2 year contract? Or is this a non-contract plan?
    Prepaid non-contract. TMO also has postpaid non-contract, but there are no talk and text only plans for that, so I specifically pointed out this $35 prepaid non-contract plan. And you can get this plan anywhere: TMO store, Walmart, other places that sell prepaid service.

If talk and text is really all he would want, there are probably cheaper options than $35. But I don't think there's anything for $45 that would allow him to call and text to Hungary.

Here are some good links to read: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4826, http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2449
    09-30-14 01:18 AM
    Ok what about locally then?
    So he goes into the TMO store, buys the prepaid SIM and then he can get the $35 monthly prepaid plan without any 2 year contract?
    Am I correct?

I think as soon as he comes here, then our best bet would go into a TMO shop and explain what he needs.
    That's the easiest.

But our main concern is, will TMO even support BB Z30 phones for TMO plans or it should not affect the plans?
    That's our biggest concern.
    Last edited by bbfreak999; 09-30-14 at 10:26 AM.
    09-30-14 10:11 AM
    Ok what about locally then?
    So he goes into the TMO store, buys the prepaid SIM and then he can get the $35 monthly prepaid plan then.
    Am I correct?

I think as soon as he comes here, then our best bet would go into a TMO shop and explain what he needs.
    That's the easiest.

But our main concern is, will TMO even support BB phones for TMO plans or it should not affect the plans?
    That's our biggest concern.
    Yes. He can go into a store and buy a prepaid SIM, or he can order it online and have it delivered to him (obviously, this will take longer.) Then he can get the plan in store, or activate the SIM online and pick the $35 plan.

You shouldn't be concerned about TMO supporting his Z30, because BB10 phones don't need anything special in the way of support. The biggest concern should be whether or not he will get better than 2G speeds if he wants data. But then, if he picks the $35 plan, that means he doesn't need data.
    09-30-14 10:27 AM
    But he can still use a public Wi-Fi ? Correct?
    Or the Wi-Fi from his family's house?

When he arrives, we will go down together anyways to a local TMO shop and have them explain to him face to face on what would be the best option for him.

But of course, if he wants a local US number, then he has to buy a SIM there.

But thanks for the support on this.
    10-01-14 12:15 AM
    But he can still use a public Wi-Fi ? Correct?
    Or the Wi-Fi from his family's house?
    Yes he can still use wi-fi wherever it's available

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 12:17 AM