When I called T-Mobile they said if BlackBerry pushes out updates, T-Mobile will get them. Any further word on this??
    09-23-14 05:34 PM
    I'll believe it when I see it.

*VI* Posted Via CB10 on my Z10*VI*
    09-23-14 05:43 PM
    It's unlikely TMO will push any update that will zap wifi-calling. However, I am running .2228 on my black Z10 (stock, TMO OS) and .3247 on my white Z10 (my lab rat). I loaded that OS OTA when I got the phone from Shop BBerry USA. However, as soon as I loaded it, the wifi-calling app appeared and wifi-calling works flawlessly. What's really interesting is that .3247 appears to be nothing more than an incremental upgrade of .2228. In other words, it may have been the next OTA for TMO that we did not get because they no longer support the phone?
    09-23-14 08:50 PM
    Why would T-Mobile stop wifi calling?
    09-23-14 09:56 PM
    Who said they would?
    09-24-14 03:30 AM
    They wouldn't, but the wifi calling they offer is provided through an app. Each time there's a major OS upgrade, wifi calling usually goes missing for a few months until they repackage / update it. With everything that happened, there's no interest to TMO to update wifi calling for 10.3. They can just say that they support it in the devices they offered (not passport, q5 or z30) and for the OS versions that were available while they support it (up to 10.2.1)

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 05:14 PM
    Wifi-calling doesn't go missing, unless someone loads a non-pushed TMO OS.
    09-24-14 05:36 PM
    Yep, my WFC has never gone missing with an OS upgrade from TMO. I'd have to retreat to previous OS if that happened.

"Dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    09-24-14 05:54 PM
    Right...and there's no obligation from TMO to push out the update now that they no longer sell the devices.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 05:34 AM
    Of course it will.

*VI* Posted Via CB10 on my Z10*VI*
    10-03-14 08:42 AM
    Well, I must take that back -- sort of -- I have a non-tmo pushed OS update on one of my Z10s (.3247) that supports WFC, and of course there is a 10.3 running around out that supposedly does as well.
    Last edited by scrannel; 10-03-14 at 09:06 PM.
    10-03-14 04:59 PM
    Right...and there's no obligation from TMO to push out the update now that they no longer sell the devices.

Posted via CB10
    From my point of view, the obligation would be to its customers, like myself, that use unbranded unlocked devices. I know the door is wide open but it would be in TMO best interest to support us, their (BB user) customers regardless of what relationship they have with BB, or the lack of.

Posted from myZ30 via CB10 app
    10-03-14 08:47 PM
    From my point of view, the obligation would be to its customers, like myself, that use unbranded unlocked devices. I know the door is wide open but it would be in TMO best interest to support us, their (BB user) customers regardless of what relationship they have with BB, or the lack of.
    Since BlackBerry dropped T-Mobile, I think the onus is on BlackBerry to push the updates to us directly.
    10-07-14 11:09 AM
    Since BlackBerry dropped T-Mobile, I think the onus is on BlackBerry to push the updates to us directly.
    My Branded Tmo (unlocked) Z10 only got that latest Tmo OS pushed, but when I bought an unlocked Z10 from BBerry, stuck in my Tmo SIM it updated to a later OS that STILL supports Wifi-calling. So, though the update was higher than the .2228 Tmo, not sure what this means. The non-branded phone was ready to update to .3247 out of the box, so I assume the Tmo SIM "steered" it to wifi-calling, as it was NOT on the phone out of the box.
    10-07-14 12:28 PM
    The non-branded phone was ready to update to .3247 out of the box, so I assume the Tmo SIM "steered" it to wifi-calling, as it was NOT on the phone out of the box.
    3247 has WFC enabled in the radio file and it's on Tmo's development list for testing, hence why it works. WFC is enabled in most radio files, in fact, but not all are in Tmo's database as being allowed on the network (as in WFC, not cellular). Therefore, no "steering" is done by Tmo to an OS. They don't have access to write or modify core radio features as "steered" might suggest -- unless I misunderstood and you're talking about something else here.

[CB10 / Q10]
    10-07-14 02:24 PM
    3247 has WFC enabled in the radio file and it's on Tmo's development list for testing, hence why it works. WFC is enabled in most radio files, in fact, but not all are in Tmo's database as being allowed on the network (as in WFC, not cellular). Therefore, no "steering" is done by Tmo to an OS. They don't have access to write or modify core radio features as "steered" might suggest -- unless I misunderstood and you're talking about something else here.

[CB10 / Q10]
    Sorry for the choice of words. When the phone arrived and I turned it on, it was ready to update to .3247. I was guessing that if I had updated w/o the SIM in, wifi-calling would not have appeared. It does seem like nothing more than an incremental upgrade over .2228.
    10-07-14 02:49 PM
    Good strategy for any other carrier on the globe. But for one that has a carrier-specific feature at the mercy of said carrier...not a good idea.
    10-07-14 04:11 PM
    Good strategy for any other carrier on the globe. But for one that has a carrier-specific feature at the mercy of said carrier...not a good idea.
    Wifi calling is a 3gpp standard.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 09:16 AM
    Wifi calling is a 3gpp standard.
    That it may be, but what I meant was that nobody has it available on BB10 but TMO, and their way requires their involvement.
    10-08-14 11:20 AM
    That it may be, but what I meant was that nobody has it available on BB10 but TMO, and their way requires their involvement.
    How so? It's a universal service written into the radio file. AT&T could use it tomorrow if they wanted. Heck, even the silly little app would look identical other than graphics and branding since that's all BB would need to change.

[CB10 / Q10]
    10-08-14 02:37 PM
    How so? It's a universal service written into the radio file. AT&T could use it tomorrow if they wanted. Heck, even the silly little app would look identical other than graphics and branding since that's all BB would need to change.

[CB10 / Q10]
    On my 9780, there were three selections for UMA. A standard 3gpp, a t-mobile release, and an t-mobile development version. The standard 3gpp was what I used. Now you had to get the T-mobile cert into the phone. That was the only thing proprietary to T-Mobile as far as I know.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 03:51 PM
    And that will be the day AT&T customers will think twice about updating, just like TMO customers do--especially if non-AT&T OS releases break a server-level on/off control for their WFC.

All I'm saying is right now TMO customers have unique, extenuating circumstances that prevent them from updating anytime a new official OS hits Sachesi (or a leak is released.) So BlackBerry can't just push out updates to them unless with disregard for WFC.
    10-08-14 04:33 PM
    And that will be the day AT&T customers will think twice about updating, just like TMO customers do--especially if non-AT&T OS releases break a server-level on/off control for their WFC.

All I'm saying is right now TMO customers have unique, extenuating circumstances that prevent them from updating anytime a new official OS hits Sachesi (or a leak is released.) So BlackBerry can't just push out updates to them unless with disregard for WFC.
    I wouldn't mind participating in a beta of new OS releases so that I can maintain Wi-Fi Calling. I have a spare BB10 device to test with. Since BlackBerry maintains the radio file code, it's up to them to test and fix it anyway.
    10-08-14 05:30 PM
    I wouldn't mind participating in a beta of new OS releases so that I can maintain Wi-Fi Calling. I have a spare BB10 device to test with. Since BlackBerry maintains the radio file code, it's up to them to test and fix it anyway.
    I believe there is (or was) some sort of a program like this, but it was run by TMO since they're the ones who control access to their WFC service. They had testers' IMEIs whitelisted for builds in testing. Mind you, these people weren't all employees, if at all--they were TMO customers. One of them is actually a CB member as well.
    10-08-14 05:41 PM
    On my 9780, there were three selections for UMA. A standard 3gpp, a t-mobile release, and an t-mobile development version. The standard 3gpp was what I used. Now you had to get the T-mobile cert into the phone. That was the only thing proprietary to T-Mobile as far as I know.
    Correct.

But, AT&T wouldn't have to limit it by OS if they so choose. That onus is on them and for the same reason as Tmo. Allowing all OSes means additional support that the carriers aren't likely to absorb. Tmo could do the same or even open up the Z30 and Q5. But, as we've discussed ad nauseum, carriers aren't willing to support devices they don't sell.

It's not a matter of WFC existing in the radio file. It's a matter of the carriers calling BlackBerry and asking for a specific OS to be added to the allowance database. You won't see the WFC icon light up before seeing the BB icon light first for very good reason. After that a carrier can allow or deny services based on IMEI and SIM, hence why AT&T customers have issues with LTE on BYOD handsets and why the Z30, Q5, Passport, etc are currently dead to WFC.

I've read that AT&T is considering WFC in 2015. With Tmo proving it can be done on BB, Apple, and Android devices, it wouldn't take AT&T much effort to make it happen. Apple wouldn't have included it in the IP6 just for Tmo. I guarantee they see bigger fish in the AT&T market.

[CB10 / Q10]
    10-08-14 05:58 PM
96 123 ...