This is pure speculation by me, based on no data.

One of the issues with today's smartphone market is that all the new smartphones look pretty much the same 'in the wild'. They're all slabs of glass with minimal differences re: looks and functionality. You have to look pretty closely to discern what phone someone is using (Blackberry Q5/10 aside). Even the Q10 looked a lot like the previous Blackberry phones, and did not really stand out.

When Blackberry fans finally get their hands on the Passport, there's no doubt that the phone itself will stand out when they use it around their friends/family/co-workers. Maybe this will lead to some publicity for the phone.

As we all know, most phone users don't know that Blackberry is even releasing a new phone, and they probably don't care. However, there are a group of people who prefer not to follow the herd, and like to stand out as different. Maybe these new, highly functional, and unique phones may attract them to the platform.

I'm not claiming that this is going to make a huge difference in the adoption numbers, but it may help a bit.

---------------

As anecdotal evidence for this propensity of people to want to stand out: About 15 years ago, when everyone had Windows PC's and laptops, and when Apple was given up for dead, I remember a segment of the population that loved their iBooks and Powerbooks. One of the reasons stated on the message boards was the glowing Apple on the back of the laptops, that made it immediately obvious that you were not 'one of the herd'. Yes, the iBooks were functional, but a big reason people bought them was that they were different......and visibly so. This immediately set you apart when you opened your laptop in the coffee shop you hung out in.

Of course, we know how that story played out (admittedly helped by some pretty serious innovation on Apple's part). All the cool kids want Macbooks now.

While the Z10 and the Z30 are nice phones, and BB10.3 is a nice OS, they don't really stand out. The Passport will.

This could be an advantage.
    neoberry99 and dejanh like this.
    09-22-14 09:39 AM
    I understand what you're saying. Something that LOOKS unusual might catch the eye of potential buyers.
    09-22-14 09:45 AM
    This Week in Tech 476 | TWiT.TV (short Passport discussion at 1:01:30).

Could the Passport's looks help publicize the phone?-screen-shot-2014-09-22-9.52.18-am.png
    09-22-14 09:50 AM
    I agree with you. I currently have a Q10 and everybody assumes its the same old blackberry I have had for the last 4 or 5 years. Also, I had a Z10 when it was first announced and nobody EVER asked what phone I was using because anytime they saw it was a BlackBerry they would say, "This is a BlackBerry?! It looks just like an iPhone!" At least with the Passport more people will be asking about what device you are using giving you a chance to show off how awesome it really is!
    Last edited by iBelieveInBB; 09-22-14 at 12:02 PM.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    09-22-14 09:55 AM
    I think you're right. This device will turn heads.

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    09-22-14 10:04 AM
    Yes

Z3 Powered By QNX
    09-22-14 10:06 AM
    I agree with you. I currently have a Q10 and everybody assumes its the same old blackberry I have had for the last 4 or 5 years. Also, I had a Z10 when it was first announced and nobody EVER asked what phone I was using because anytime they saw it was a BlackBerry they would say, "This is a BlackBerry?! I looks just like an iPhone!" At least with the Passport more people will be asking about what device you are using giving you a chance to show off how awesome it really is!
    I was out a little party at a friend house and most of the people there had iPhones. Maybe an android here and there but the iPhones all stuck out. There might have been 1 iPhone 5 but the rest were 4's. This guy said wow you have a blackberry. I didn't even get into a conversation about it as I just said it gets what I need done.

I here I thought my wife and I have the newest phones out of anyone here.
    09-22-14 11:06 AM