Would be great as long as it has the HW. Not sure why this feature isn't enabled on the Z 10

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 07:45 AM
    As far as I know only the STL 100-1 has that capability on the chipset.

Probably they didn't want to introduce some confusion on the capabilities of the whole Z10 lineup.
    09-20-14 07:49 AM
    I believe that you answered your own question...the Z10 does not have the hardware

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 07:50 AM
    I've had mobile devices for... Crud, can't remember how many years now... That have had FM Radio support. And other than ONE time using it just to verify that it worked... It never got used again.

I'll take a risk an assume that I'm in the majority here... Mobile devices have no business in the FM Radio world.

Maybe it's just me... But I still remember the transition from AM to FM. FM is now suffering the same phenomenon. It's on its way out.

Penned via Tapatalk
    09-20-14 04:21 PM
    Who needs a radio when we have Nobex, Tunein, and IHeartRadio?

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 04:48 PM
    Who needs a radio when we have Nobex, Tunein, and IHeartRadio?

Posted via CB10
    People in a hurricane / cyclone... :-)

We get them here in North Queensland.

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    09-20-14 04:55 PM
    I'm not sure if I'm right, but I believe the FM radio spends a lot less battery power because it doesn't need 2 way communication, like the Internet based stations need (because of Internet protocols involved).

You don't waste battery power sending electromagnetic signals - for a Z10 this would matter.
    09-20-14 04:59 PM
    Fm does not use data I believe.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 08:57 PM
    STL1 has the hardware for radio while the other hasn't. To be fair on all Z10s, it never got introduced.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    09-20-14 09:00 PM

I'll take a risk an assume that I'm in the majority here... Mobile devices have no business in the FM Radio world.

Penned via Tapatalk
    I think from your username you from the US?

FM radio and data prices are an important factor in other countries, especially where the stl 100-1 is sold.

I think the stl -1 chipset also supports miracast if I'm not mistaken?

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 09:05 AM
    Point taken on battery consumption. I know my Z10 will drain my battery in far less than a day when I stream. The other issue in the States is the transition to Ibiquity's so-called HD radio, which adds more complexity to the chip, were it to be included.

So, the STL-1 must, apparently, not share a motherboard with the other models. Perhaps as well the U-S version of this device needs the space to support LTE and the additional bands.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 09:24 AM
    Texas instruments (stl-1) vs omap (rest) chipsets (or something like that).

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 11:52 AM
    Texas instruments (stl-1) vs omap (rest) chipsets (or something like that).

Posted via CB10
    That's exactly it. Totally different chip sets.

In fact, TI is no longer even in the mobile chip set market anymore. They bowed out just after the Z10 was released.

It's also the reason the STL100-2/3/4 models all have display screen white balance control, but the -1 doesn't. The associated GPU of the TI chip set did not support the feature, but the Qualcomm GPU does.

BTW, I thought the more recent OS 10.2.1 builds did enable the FM radios in the STL100-1 phones. You have to have the headphones plugged in for it to work in the media player.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 10:23 AM
    I
    Maybe it's just me... But I still remember the transition from AM to FM. FM is now suffering the same phenomenon. It's on its way out.
    I'm sure it will live on in "the morning commute" and "the drive home". Lots of folks still listen to FM radio in their cars.

But I don't really miss it on a mobile device. There are apps that stream radio, podcasts to be downloaded, our own music, audiobooks. For me anyway, it would be too much in competition with other media on my phone.
    09-23-14 10:57 AM

BTW, I thought the more recent OS 10.2.1 builds did enable the FM radios in the STL100-1 phones. You have to have the headphones plugged in for it to work in the media player.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately that's not the case.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 03:23 PM
    That's exactly it. Totally different chip sets.

In fact, TI is no longer even in the mobile chip set market anymore. They bowed out just after the Z10 was released.

It's also the reason the STL100-2/3/4 models all have display screen white balance control, but the -1 doesn't. The associated GPU of the TI chip set did not support the feature, but the Qualcomm GPU does.

Posted via CB10
    This was a big gripe of the 100-1 owners. They were all like wah wah wah why can't I use my fm radio the hardware is there blah blah blah....
    All attempts to explain brand and brand consistency fell of dead (more like dumb) ears.

You can't have some z10's have a feature like that and not others. It hurts the brand.
    09-25-14 09:48 AM
    This was a big gripe of the 100-1 owners. They were all like wah wah wah why can't I use my fm radio the hardware is there blah blah blah....
    All attempts to explain brand and brand consistency fell of dead (more like dumb) ears.

You can't have some z10's have a feature like that and not others. It hurts the brand.
    Not everyone. I personally don't care if other Z10 variants have white balance setting and whatnot.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    09-25-14 11:14 PM