Just seeing if this happens to anyone else but when I place my phone down somewhere say a desk or counter from a few inches or so. My phone will restart it self. It happens on and off and sometimes 4-5 times in a row. it doesn't take much to restart it is not dropping it hard just placing it down and it will restart itself. Like I said sometimes won't happen at all then it will happen again.

I noticed my battery isn't as good as before I have to clean the contacts quiet often to get rid of a black residue to get better battery life. Otherwise it will die at 20 percent after I clean the contacts sometimes it goes right to the zero mark on the percentage meter.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 12:07 AM
    You can try the old-fashioned nokia way: use paper or duck tape to hold the battery in its place. It seems your phone somehow expand thus widening battery area, making your battery tend to fall out upon smallest impact

Posted via CB10
    neilwhite likes this.
    09-20-14 12:23 AM
    Same problem here. I didn't try the paper trick as the problem seemed to "get better" after I switched to a new casing...

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 03:50 AM
    Besides using paper, you can also try getting some very thin foam rubber from a hobby store. Either place it above the battery or use some double-sided tape to apply it on the backcover. I don't remember which phone it was, but I once had a model which came with such foam rubber preinstalled.

Hopefully not double-typed with my Q10
    neilwhite likes this.
    09-20-14 04:48 AM
    Besides using paper, you can also try getting some very thin foam rubber from a hobby store. Either place it above the battery or use some double-sided tape to apply it on the backcover. I don't remember which phone it was, but I once had a model which came with such foam rubber preinstalled.

Hopefully not double-typed with my Q10
    ^^^ That's an excellent idea ^^^
    09-20-14 04:58 AM
    If you're having to clean black residue off the contacts then there must be arcing. Are you sure you have an original battery?
    The power terminals in many phones are spring loaded so they should take up a little slackness.
    Always worth being careful with batteries, they have proven themselves to be a fire risk in the past.
    09-20-14 05:16 AM
    I had this for a couple of months after dropping my Q10 a few times. I finally got round to slipping a thin piece of cardboard (a label from a new pair of shoes) between the battery and the cover and that seems to have done the trick.

Posted via CB10
    neilwhite likes this.
    09-20-14 08:31 AM
    I've read that this has been an issue with the Q10. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Posted via Q10
    09-20-14 09:45 AM
    I never had it happen, but I place my Q10 down gently and never throw/drop it from a few inches or so.
    09-20-14 11:05 AM
    Mine does this too, and it is not necessarily even a drop; just the slightest bump when placing it on a table will trigger the restart. Just stuck in some card as others recommended. I am also going to look into adding a soft case to see if that helps cushion bumps. The phone is totally reliable other than this one issue.
    09-20-14 11:37 AM
    My q10 has restarted in my pocket 2 time in last 10 days, why? I have rubber case so back door is not loose . Yesterday after a call my sim card was locked, is in call screen some menu so I accidentally press something and lock sim? Is my Q is slowly dying? It's a year old phone

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 11:41 AM
    The screen is covered with your case ? If I were you, I buy a nice Leather Pocket from BlackBerry. The magnet inside can be programmed in the settings to auto-lock the phone on insert...
    09-25-14 01:04 PM
    Just seeing if this happens to anyone else but when I place my phone down somewhere say a desk or counter from a few inches or so. My phone will restart it self. It happens on and off and sometimes 4-5 times in a row. it doesn't take much to restart it is not dropping it hard just placing it down and it will restart itself. Like I said sometimes won't happen at all then it will happen again.

I noticed my battery isn't as good as before I have to clean the contacts quiet often to get rid of a black residue to get better battery life. Otherwise it will die at 20 percent after I clean the contacts sometimes it goes right to the zero mark on the percentage meter.

Posted via CB10
    Have the same issue, the solution IS put a small piece of paper on the back door of your battery. That's it.

" Initiated from my QNX10 "
    09-25-14 02:12 PM
    Hi Everybody!!

Both my GF and have had the same problem with our Q10 phones. The paper trick does work.

If I may describe what I've done to update the trick for everyone. What I've done is take a card and not only place it underneath the battery, but I've also let the card fold around the side of the battery as I have found that it helps to prevent the battery from moving side to side, which I have found the battery wiggles side to side without the paper.

The other thing I believe is occurring is the battery is on it's way out. I replaced the battery with a fresh spare to see if the problem still persists, and it completely fixed the problem.

Cheers!!

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 02:33 PM
    The problem is with the rubberized glass weave back from the black model. It's imperceptibly flexible.

Doesn't seem to happen on the white one, and taping a hotel room key (well, a small part of one) to the inside of the door fixed mine.

Doesn't have to be a hotel key, just something that thick, like a piece of a credit card, or a Tim Horotn's card or something.

Posted via CB10
    neilwhite likes this.
    09-25-14 03:27 PM
    I actually had someone on Reddit ask me if I still had a photo of what I did (I don't on my current phone, sadly) and after I showed him he tried it and it solved his problem.

Same at work: a couple of the work-issued Q10s would restart when they were put down and the cardboard trick worked.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 03:30 PM
    The problem is with the rubberized glass weave back from the black model. It's imperceptibly flexible.

Doesn't seem to happen on the white one,

Posted via CB10
    I have this issue and I have a white q10. The paper trick (or business card) works well.
    09-26-14 01:40 PM
    this is why i abandoned the q10 - tragic design.
    09-26-14 02:00 PM
    this is why i abandoned the q10 - tragic design.
    It's not a design issue, it's a build quality issue. Likely something is out of acceptable tolerance.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 02:15 PM
    Thanks! Same issue here, not often though

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 02:33 PM
    Same problem here. I didn't try the paper trick as the problem seemed to "get better" after I switched to a new casing...

Posted via CB10
    The battery door seems to be the problem for me. I was playing with the back door way too much recently to the point that it slides right off when pulling it out of my pocket. I had to stick a piece of tape neither the top end to keep it from opening. Yes it worked! But no. Now I have the "shut off" problem. Nearly every time I set my phone down hard, the phone shuts off and/or tries to restart. It's either time to clean the contacts, replace the battery or stick a thin paper back there to keep the battery nice and snug. I love my Q10. Although I do want a Passport and/or Classic, I feel like I'll have this bad boy for a while (Q10). I wouldn't mind at all.

I've never had a single smartphone activated for more than maybe 9 months. My Q10 has been on for two months. Before that, I had the note 3 for 8 months and before that I had the Q10 8 months ( on verizon). When I switched to tmobile they no longer supported the sales of Q10 so I had to go with Note 3.

Anyway. So off topic. Just looking for reasons to keep typing. This phone is awesome. Will let it ride till it dies!

Posted via Q10RR
    10-12-14 07:57 PM
    That hasn't happened to me and I do have a black Q10.

Posted from my Q10
    10-13-14 07:43 AM
    There have been many threads on this topic. Try putting a piece of paper behind the battery door to hold the battery in place.
    10-13-14 11:55 AM
    Is there a space between the batter and the battery contacts? Put a piece os paper between the phone and the battery at the top. Of the battery to push it down towards the contacts. You won't have another issue.

Posted via Q10RR
    10-13-14 12:13 PM
    That hasn't happened to me and I do have a black Q10.

Posted from my Q10
    This problem could be long gone with newer Q10s off the production line.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 01:07 PM
27 12