Reading the article BlackBerry published today about BBM Money and it's evolution they said "When it originally launched years ago, BBM was all about connecting people through instant messaging. Now it has expanded to also connect people with brands and retailers." And I'd add to the list selling stickers, and personal channels/microblogging.

What I've always liked about BBM is its simplicity: it was a stellar chat service for me to connect with people I cared about.

But now it seems it is trying to be too much, and not focusing on its roots. Which, I find ironically analogous to BlackBerry throughout the Thor era: trying to get into the consumer world nearly killed BlackBerry. Chen is focusing BlackBerry to be enterprise, productivity based; getting it back to its roots.

I'd like to see BBM do the same. Why are we selling stickers in BBM before making BBMX Video? Why are we pushing for BBM Money when Channels is, at best, a half-baked concept? (and this coming from someone who has two channels).

Someone needs to focus the BBM team back to its roots: providing an unparalleled texting/group chatting/VoIP service. Other similar apps are catching up, and the answer to that problem isn't to layer on more and more and more services, but to refine and perfect what services are already there.

Where is the Chen effect on BBM?

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    GEO1ER, fakiefiveforty and rai187 like this.
    09-18-14 05:51 PM
    I agree in some points, but they are moving in the right direction, when it comes to monetizing bbm imo.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    09-18-14 05:57 PM
    Plus, you don't have to use anything other than the messaging.

Thumb-flicked from my Z30 via CB10
    09-19-14 04:40 PM
    I was always amazed at their toting of Channels as some sort of social thing. Why couldn't they just expand on the "status", which existed for years. I'm not saying this was a core feature, but it highlights how they keep trying to bolt on new features without fully tightening the nuts on existing ones.

As for cross platform bbm video, holding out to provide it to enterprise users only is a terrible mistake. It's basically making BBM less competitive than almost every other chat platform in the consumer space,.. and we all know how much users love it when their work forces them to use something other than what they are used to.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 05:39 PM
    I was always amazed at their toting of Channels as some sort of social thing. Why couldn't they just expand on the "status", which existed for years. I'm not saying this was a core feature, but it highlights how they keep trying to bolt on new features without fully tightening the nuts on existing ones.

As for cross platform bbm video, holding out to provide it to enterprise users only is a terrible mistake. It's basically making BBM less competitive than almost every other chat platform in the consumer space,.. and we all know how much users love it when their work forces them to use something other than what they are used to.

Posted via CB10
    Glad I'm not totally alone.

I wasn't aware the BBMX Video was going to be enterprise only. That's really bad news considering Viber for Android and iOS just got video calls for everyone. It's the leader right now, in terms of offering the most comprehensive messaging solution (text, audio, video, every platform including desktop).

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    09-19-14 08:06 PM
    I read somewhere about BBM Video, but maybe those enterprise-only plans were restricted to BBM Video for desktop. Either way, no functionality (except maybe the behind-the-scenes extra security layers) should be restricted to enterprise. Enterprise users are very reluctant to adopt "work only" things (hardware and software).

The only reason BBM grew into the consumer space at first was because so many people with work-issued BlackBerry devices were able to use the same BBM with family and friends.

You can offer and charge the enterprise for extra security, maybe higher QoS, some 24/7 support, and perhaps even larger attachment sizes,.. but the core communication functionalities should be as widely available as possible.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 08:31 PM
    Reading the article BlackBerry published today about BBM Money and it's evolution they said "When it originally launched years ago, BBM was all about connecting people through instant messaging. Now it has expanded to also connect people with brands and retailers." And I'd add to the list selling stickers, and personal channels/microblogging.

What I've always liked about BBM is its simplicity: it was a stellar chat service for me to connect with people I cared about.

But now it seems it is trying to be too much, and not focusing on its roots. Which, I find ironically analogous to BlackBerry throughout the Thor era: trying to get into the consumer world nearly killed BlackBerry. Chen is focusing BlackBerry to be enterprise, productivity based; getting it back to its roots.

I'd like to see BBM do the same. Why are we selling stickers in BBM before making BBMX Video? Why are we pushing for BBM Money when Channels is, at best, a half-baked concept? (and this coming from someone who has two channels).

Someone needs to focus the BBM team back to its roots: providing an unparalleled texting/group chatting/VoIP service. Other similar apps are catching up, and the answer to that problem isn't to layer on more and more and more services, but to refine and perfect what services are already there.

Where is the Chen effect on BBM?

Agree with you 100%. BBM Music, BBM Channels (ok, that one might make sense), BBM Money. I mean really? BlackBerry is on a campaign to attach all new products to BBM. It diverts from what BBM really is a cool simple to use Messaging App. My guess is that BlackBerry is trying to avoid affiliating new product with the BlackBerry brand and so it is doing so with the BBM brand, but I think it's a mistake better an expert at one thing than a jack of all trades. At least when it comes to technology. It cheapens the brand. Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 11:18 AM
    BB was a value added service to blackberry owners. Today, you cannot justify the expense of operating the messaging platform in this market. They need to monetize BBM in order to keep it alive. Ask yourself, would you pay a $10 a month subscription to have BBM? Almost everyone in the world would say no...too many free alternatives. And Blackberry is no longer in a position to keep loss-leaders going just for the sake of it.

To do what you are proposing, they need a critical mass of BB phones in the market. Today they do not have the market share to keep BBM simple.
    09-20-14 11:26 AM
    I read somewhere that bbm video is slated to arrive cross platform in November. Maybe we'll hear something official during the 24th announcement.
    I kinda agree about the "busyness " of bbm, maybe have them all connected but optionally as separate apps. I follow a few channels but it isn't obvious that there are new posts without clicking through a few screens.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 12:04 PM
    BB was a value added service to blackberry owners. Today, you cannot justify the expense of operating the messaging platform in this market. They need to monetize BBM in order to keep it alive. Ask yourself, would you pay a $10 a month subscription to have BBM? Almost everyone in the world would say no...too many free alternatives. And Blackberry is no longer in a position to keep loss-leaders going just for the sake of it.

To do what you are proposing, they need a critical mass of BB phones in the market. Today they do not have the market share to keep BBM simple.
    Point taken. Just feel they should find other ways to monetize BBM. They have Channels, and Stickers and eventually should sell some backgrounds. Not the ones they have now but instead allow creators to make some better ones. They also have BBM for enterprise coming out that I'm sure will not be free and other services such as incripted messages that they will be offering with that version of BBM that should also contribute to the pot.

So, I hear what your saying and can't argue too much with you about it but you also don't want to water down the brand. I guess it's going to be a tough balancing act.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 01:33 PM
    I really hope the next big updates fixes some of these things. Channels hasnt been updated since it came out, no video chat, groups could use plenty other features as well. Dont get me wrong, i appreciate the updates theyve done and understand that they needed to start making money off BBM but bring them out when theyre ready. What was the point of releasing 4 wallpapers lol? I would love to know how well stickers are doing especially with some stickers being sold for $3 now, which is crazy IMO

Ultimately, id like to see more features that make BBM more social. this is why overall, i love the idea of Channels (though it still needs a ton of work). I loved the idea of BBM Music but just thought they didnt get the payment aspect correct. Like an above poster said, they could expand on the status part of BBM. The sky is the limit with where BlackBerry could take BBM, i just hope they dont lose focus trying to monetize everything.
    09-20-14 07:29 PM
    I don't agree with OP at all. Even with improving video, texting, etc. Bbm will not go anywhere.

They have to do something very very "different" to make money from bbm and also supply services that others are not.

Bbm channels is the way to go. It's a Facebook/twitter thingy for phones. Since most people are using phones more and more. I see this as a good strategy.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 09:15 PM
    Totally agree with the thread title and OP.

I've been thinking pretty much the same about BBM for the past 3-4 months and I will give you 3 points on it.

1) Channels. It is pretty much stuck to what it was one year ago when it started. New products need lots of work and fine tuning. It seems like an abandoned baby.

2) Cross platform. It doesn't work like ours, no denying it. Untill it's bugless, it's crap.

3) Video. Do we even want to get there?

The overall feeling is that they are trying for too many things without really delivering on any single one. We have not seen official stats for a while, but my guess is that numbers are crappy as usual.

BBM should focus on its CORE services. I understand that stickers is profitable, but if in 6 months they are down to 30M users (instead of being at 150M) who will buy the lovely stickers??
    09-22-14 05:35 PM
    I'm still optimistic on BBM prospects. It definitely needs to improve, but for me it has almost all the features I need and works seamlessly since the last iOS update. Definitely wish that video was also cross platform and that BBM worked on more android tablets.

I can't wait for the event today! If they release BBM numbers, and more specifically total registered user numbers, I'm predicting over 200 million registered users. More specifically, 213 million registrants based on a model I've created (http://analystpost.blogspot.com). This is different from MAU, and DAU. I hope they announce some nice numbers soon!

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 03:52 AM
    Monthly active users: 91M

I doubt that's enough to compete in the IM market.

Did they say anything about registered users? I am not an expert, but I guess the interesting number here is just monthly users (or perhaps weekly)...
    09-26-14 08:10 AM
    I don't agree with OP at all. Even with improving video, texting, etc. Bbm will not go anywhere.

They have to do something very very "different" to make money from bbm and also supply services that others are not.

Bbm channels is the way to go. It's a Facebook/twitter thingy for phones. Since most people are using phones more and more. I see this as a good strategy.

Posted via CB10
    People I've convinced to set WhatsApp aside for BBM could care less about BBM Channels. The are pissed off because they feel BBM is unreliable on their platforms and because there are things that WhatsApp can do that BBM can't. Like for example the ability to share files, pictures, video, music clips, voice notes, location... etc, in Group Chats, which you cannot do on BBM Group Chats.
    So while the idea that Channels is something different and attractive is a good one, the truth is, before you introduce little novelties that others don't have you need to start off by being competitive and you can only do that by offering on BBM, the same features people already love on their current messaging service.
    The attitude has to be "We offer everything WhatsApp offers and THEN SOME!", not "Well we can't offer a lot of the things you love on WhatsApp , sorry, but we do have Channels and Stickers."
    The sad thing is that BBM already offers most of those features on individual chats, how difficult is it to implement the same in Group Chats and Multi-person chats?

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 03:11 PM
    The app market is constantly changing and evolving. BlackBerry needs to keep doing the same or else they will get left behind (like the delay in an all touch device or bb10). Even if such things they innovate on does not work or is not interested in the general public, at least they're evolving.

One thing for sure is they need to get the main core functions flawless and Bbm video should be already implemented into all platforms.

Testing the water with new ideas is not a bad thing by any means. if they create something and it's a total flop, it may lead to something bigger and popular

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 01:14 AM
    I read in an article the other day that BlackBerry is losing money from the "subscriber fees" the carriers were paying BlackBerry for each individual BlackBerry phone on their network. The stickers are a way to offset that loss. It won't make up everything, but in combo with other things BlackBerry is doing the results are positive.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    10-01-14 08:37 AM