Apple unveiled its Apple Pay service at a recent September 9 product launch event in Cupertino.
    Apple Pay will be another affront to turnaround efforts at BlackBerry. BlackBerry will largely remain shut out of the payment market.
    Conservative investors should avoid buying into BlackBerry stock. The company may rack up losses through fiscal 2015........who believes that this will really hurt, and or damage BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 11:06 AM
    It won't matter, pay services are just one vertical market for smartphones and services... BlackBerry is pursuing several other vertical markets that apple is not... does that mean it will hurt apple investors?

These kind of articles always crack me up

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30
    09-17-14 11:23 AM
    Apple is just introducing something Blackberry already have in place.
    One of my friends here on CB made an NFC payment some days ago. It's all about NFC and Apple is just coming on board.
    BlackBerry will keep rising, my friend. Deal with it!!!!
    acovey and will308 like this.
    09-17-14 11:25 AM
    Apple is just introducing something Blackberry already have in place.
    One of my friends here on CB made an NFC payment some days ago. It's all about NFC and Apple is just coming on board.
    BlackBerry will keep rising, my friend. Deal with it!!!!
    NFC technology is just one element of Apple Pay. Blackberry has nothing even close to what Apple has created with Apple Pay. In fact, no one does. I can understand a certain amount of hate on Apple, but they have to get some props for Apple Pay, as they were the first to do NFC payments right.
    Eumaeus, JeepBB, Bsbudd and 7 others like this.
    09-17-14 12:26 PM
    NFC technology is just one element of Apple Pay. Blackberry has nothing even close to what Apple has created with Apple Pay. In fact, no one does. I can understand a certain amount of hate on Apple, but they have to get some props for Apple Pay, as they were the first to do NFC payments right.
    You are joking right? NFC payments have been done with Blackberry and Android for a while now in Canada.Apple Pay is late to the game.
    09-17-14 12:37 PM
    You are joking right? NFC payments have been done with Blackberry and Android for a while now in Canada.Apple Pay is late to the game.
    Apple is thinking a little bigger than paying for your coffee at Tim Horton's.

They've made deals with the banks issuing the cards.
    09-17-14 12:55 PM
    You should research Apple Pay - there's a pretty good thread on it right here in CB. Apple's implementation is absolutely new and better than what's out there. Not joking. It's more secure with tokenization, linked directly to your bank without sending info to google or any other third party, fingerprint authentication, no need for a special SIM card from your carrier... Apple did it right this time.
    09-17-14 01:15 PM
    Apple unveiled its Apple Pay service at a recent September 9 product launch event in Cupertino.
    Apple Pay will be another affront to turnaround efforts at BlackBerry. BlackBerry will largely remain shut out of the payment market.
    Conservative investors should avoid buying into BlackBerry stock. The company may rack up losses through fiscal 2015........who believes that this will really hurt, and or damage BlackBerry
    Posted via CB10
    FROM SeekingAlpha comments:
    "Bloomberg brings us word that China Mobile “will focus on selling cheaper phones that don’t require subsidies as the world’s largest carrier said it doesn’t know when Apple’s iPhone 6 will be available in the nation.” The decision to push cheaper phones to customers comes as China Mobile is looking to cut $2 billion in subsidy costs it pays for high-end smartphones from Apple and Samsung.

Just how much more expensive is the iPhone in China compared to other 4G phones? According to Bloomberg, China Mobile is selling the iPhone 5s for 5,288 yuan with a contract, whereas a new 4G-capable phone from Huawei costs 1,199 yuan without a contract.

Given that China Mobile has nearly 800 million subscribers, news that the device might not launch on the carrier this year would obviously have a big impact on Apple’s holiday quarter iPhone sales. Because of this, Apple shares fell by more than 1.7% in pre-market trading and immediately dropped by 1.4% once trading officially started on"
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    09-17-14 01:20 PM
    You should research Apple Pay - there's a pretty good thread on it right here in CB. Apple's implementation is absolutely new and better than what's out there. Not joking. It's more secure with tokenization, linked directly to your bank without sending info to google or any other third party, fingerprint authentication, no need for a special SIM card from your carrier... Apple did it right this time.
    Agreed. Everyone was going about it the wrong way. Carriers all wanted a cut. Retailers wanted a cut. Apple went and cut them all out and went straight to the card issuers and banks.

BlackBerry has had the possibility of using NFC for payments but you have to jump through hoops with your carrier and your bank. Apple, as they often do, waited and did it properly.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 01:32 PM
    Apple hasn't done anything yet.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 02:46 PM
    FROM SeekingAlpha comments:...Apple shares fell by more than 1.7% in pre-market trading and immediately dropped by 1.4% once trading officially started on"
    Yeah. That doesn't make any sense. APPL is up .61% in the last five days.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-17-14 02:49 PM
    Apple hasn't done anything yet.

Posted via CB10
    They've already made the deals with the banks.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-17-14 02:49 PM

Gee, the banks have been doing NFC payments for a while in Canada. And not just Tim Horton's.

Here's the list of Canadian financial institutions, carriers and manufacturers working together on NFC mobile payments | MobileSyrup.com
    habs_fan likes this.
    09-17-14 04:59 PM
    LOL. Here in Canada, the banks are doing it directly without the need of Apple. Even better. You should have done your research before posting.
    09-17-14 05:00 PM
    LOL. Here in Canada, the banks are doing it directly without the need of Apple. Even better. You should have done your research before posting.
    You are misinformed if you think the banks can currently do this directly on their own without the involvement of third parties, including carriers and others like Google and Softcard. You are also misinformed if you think the current non-Apple services are as secure or protective of your private data (like your specific purchases and credit card number). I have researched this. Thoroughly.
    09-17-14 07:01 PM
    You are misinformed if you think the banks can currently do this directly on their own without the involvement of third parties, including carriers and others like Google and Softcard. You are also misinformed if you think the current non-Apple services are as secure or protective of your private data (like your specific purchases and credit card number). I have researched this. Thoroughly.
    I needed a special SIM, but other than that the only one involved is my bank.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 07:09 PM
    Lol man apple is so innovative can't we just all admit it and start using iphones oh wait it's 2014 not 2011 nvm continue bashing the iPhone lol

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi and Blue787 like this.
    09-17-14 07:20 PM
    The good thing with Apple's is it bypasses the carriers. Currently it definitely seems like a better implementation, time will tell.

The banks on their own have to partner with the wireless providers as they require an NFC enabled sim for security. In Canada I'm fine with this as all transactions over the big three carriers goes through BlackBerry's NOC and all NFC phones can benefit from it.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 07:25 PM

CIBC has supported NFC payments with NFC SIMs on legacy BlackBerry and some androids for months now. You are out to lunch.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    09-17-14 07:29 PM
    Op, if it does, it will be a strong proof that there are too many id!0ts in this world using apple products.

If anyone gets offended with this reply, suck it up. I hate people claiming things that aren't their(s) and claiming they're the first of everything.
    IPhone is an example.

Hehehe
    acovey likes this.
    09-17-14 07:38 PM
    I needed a special SIM, but other than that the only one involved is my bank.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer has posted very good explanations of how Apple Pay differs from current services in another thread. I'm no insider like app_Developer, but I've read up quite a bit on this. I'm not going to do a thorough explanation (I'm typing on a phone), but there are significant differences on the backend, making Apple Pay more secure and without sharing data with third parties (including Apple, which does not store your credit card number or purchase information). Even the merchant doesn't get your credit card number with Apple Pay. Much more goes on behind the scenes with mobile payments than the user sees.
    09-17-14 07:38 PM
    Gee, the banks have been doing NFC payments for a while in Canada. And not just Tim Horton's.

Here's the list of Canadian financial institutions, carriers and manufacturers working together on NFC mobile payments | MobileSyrup.com
    That chart of banks and networks illustrates one of the several problems with previous attempts at this. What happens if you are an RBC customer but you have Telus as your phone company. Then what happens?

And that's just in one small country of 35 million people. Now extend that to larger countries and then across the world, to hundreds of different issuers and hundreds of carriers. Eliminating the phone companies from the matrix simplifies things quite a bit. Huge issuers like Citi and American Express and Bank of America are not going to want to make a deal with every phone carrier on the planet.

Then making the system more attractive to banks means that Apple will then be able to sign up many more banks than just a handful in one country. BlackBerry's solution won't scale well to the 99.5% of us who don't live in Canada.
    09-17-14 08:06 PM
    That chart of banks and networks illustrates one of the several problems with previous attempts at this. What happens if you are an RBC customer but you have Telus as your phone company. Then what happens?

And that's just in one small country of 35 million people. Now extend that to larger countries and then across the world, to hundreds of different issuers and hundreds of carriers. Eliminating the phone companies from the matrix simplifies things quite a bit. Huge issuers like Citi and American Express and Bank of America are not going to want to make a deal with every phone carrier on the planet.

Then making the system more attractive to banks means that Apple will then be able to sign up many more banks than just a handful in one country.
    LOL. Still trying to disseminate non-partisan knowledge? You are one patient man...

Seriously, thanks for the info. I received press releases that were not as clear on this as you've been.
    09-17-14 08:12 PM
    I would agree that BlackBerry is probably not going to suffer much from this. A lot of corporate cards won't be supported on Apple Pay for a while (since they are not a priority for banks or for Apple). So in the corporate settings where BlackBerry is trying to carve a niche for itself, I don't know that Apple Pay is such a big deal.

Apple Pay is a consumer focused service.
    09-17-14 08:20 PM
    A lot of corporate cards won't be supported on Apple Pay for a while (since they are not a priority for banks or for Apple).
    Are these corporate cards issued by large banks like these?

Aside from Wells and U.S. Bancorp, Apple's financial institution partners include JPMorgan Chase, American Express, Capital One Bank, Citi, Bank of America, PNC Bank, USAA, Navy Federal Credit Union and Barclays. The MasterCard, Visa and American Express networks will support Apple Pay when it's live.
    09-17-14 08:49 PM
219 123 ...