I sit in a cube farm next to some people that will have the iPhone 6 in their paws on Friday.

It just drives me nuts that my hopes and dreams-- the Blackberry Classic-- probably won't be on T-Mobile officially, and even if it works on T-Mobile, probably won't have the VoLTE and Wifi handoff support that these iPhone 6 devices will have.

The price of the phone doesn't bug me at all if I have to buy retail-- I just want the network to support the Classic with WiFi calling.

Does anyone honestly think TMobile America will support the Blackberry Classic (and Passport) with WiFi calling and VoLTE and handoffs between the two?
    09-17-14 10:57 AM
    I would have said a cold, flat "no" last week, but apparently, John Legere has shown some interest in BB again. Whether it was faked for the camera, I don't know and I wouldn't put it past him. But it's better than nothing.
    09-17-14 11:23 AM
    I would have said a cold, flat "no" last week, but apparently, John Legere has shown some interest in BB again. Whether it was faked for the camera, I don't know and I wouldn't put it past him. But it's better than nothing.
    Yeah, that's true. Definitely a crack in the ice. Watching the uncarrier event was painful..... What he said the iPhone6 can do with WiFi calling and handoffs was EXACTLY what I was hoping for with BB.
    09-17-14 11:26 AM
    Does anyone honestly think TMobile America will support the Blackberry Classic (and Passport) with WiFi calling and VoLTE and handoffs between the two?
    Yes, although you might need to use a cellspot to do it.

Why agonize over an event that hasn't happened yet? We won't know more until Tmo repairs ties with BB. Until then it's nothing more than speculation and negativity. If Tmo makes things right then WFC will continue on BB devices. If not then get a cellspot.

[Q10]
    09-17-14 11:26 AM
    Yes, although you might need to use a cellspot to do it.
    Wait--are you saying that they have opened up WFC and voLTE to all phones that may be used on their network? I thought the announcement said 'all phones we will sell, going forward'
    09-17-14 12:49 PM
    Wait--are you saying that they have opened up WFC and voLTE to all phones that may be used on their network? I thought the announcement said 'all phones we will sell, going forward'
    Yeah, I interpreted it as all phones they "sell" going forward. If you don't have one of those, you'll need a Cellspot. (Which most people can't seriously be expected to bring to work and ask IT to install for them. lol).
    09-17-14 02:20 PM
    Yeah, I interpreted it as all phones they "sell" going forward. If you don't have one of those, you'll need a Cellspot. (Which most people can't seriously be expected to bring to work and ask IT to install for them. lol).
    you think a Cellspot changes the fact that your phone needs to be able/enabled to do wi-fi calling on T-mo's network?
    09-17-14 03:44 PM
    you think a Cellspot changes the fact that your phone needs to be able/enabled to do wi-fi calling on T-mo's network?
    Doesn't it? I thought the cellspot is like a mini-Tmo tower.... If your phone can do WiFi calling you're set on regular WiFi. (I've used Verizon's Network Extender femtocell before, and that's how it worked-- just a mini Verizon tower that plugged into Ethernet.)
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-17-14 03:53 PM
    There seems to be quite a bit of confusion about what this device is, and what exactly it does: T-Mobile Personal Cellspot specs: Dual-band, 1900 Mbps wireless AC router � TmoNews

Update #1 – There’s absolutely nothing in the user manual or quick start guide to suggest that this is a Microcell/femtocell, or that it houses any ability to produce HSPA or LTE signal. I’m still trying to get clarity on this. The “like a T-Mobile tower in your home, or anywhere you choose. Use it to max out your personal coverage, even beyond the reach of any cellular network” marketing spiel would suggest that it does, but it could be misleading.Let’s be clear: All that we know for sure is that it’s been developed by T-Mobile and optimized for Wi-Fi calling and fast data. So it knows how to ensure you get good call quality and keep data at a steady speed simultaneously. I’ll update when I hear more.

Update #2
    – From T-Mobile’s facebook page (as shared below in the comments): “I am very sorry but the phone will need to have WiFi calling capabilities to use this service and the phone has to have the ability to connect to a WiFi network to utilize WiFi calling.”
    So it isn't exactly a femtocell/signal booster in the traditional sense. It just amplifies your WFC ability...if your phone has that ability.
    09-17-14 04:02 PM
    There seems to be quite a bit of confusion about what this device is, and what exactly it does: T-Mobile Personal Cellspot specs: Dual-band, 1900 Mbps wireless AC router � TmoNews

So it isn't exactly a femtocell/signal booster in the traditional sense. It just amplifies your WFC ability...if your phone has that ability.
    this is exactly how I read it. I have a 4G Cel-fi booster from T-mo & was looking forward to getting the 4G-LTE version this fall.

If i got a Cellspot, sadly my Z30 won't be able to take advantage of wi-fi & VoLTE calling currently, until BB &/or Tmo enable the Z30 radio to do so.
    09-17-14 04:11 PM
    this is exactly how I read it. I have a 4G Cel-fi booster from T-mo & was looking forward to getting the 4G-LTE version this fall.

If i got a Cellspot, sadly my Z30 won't be able to take advantage of wi-fi & VoLTE calling currently, until BB &/or Tmo enable the Z30 radio to do so.
    Wow.

So what IS it then? Lol.

Given great WiFi coverage in a location, what is the difference of having Cellspot and a Wifi calling-enabled phone? Is it just the trafficshapin/prioritization?
    09-17-14 04:29 PM
    Wow.

So what IS it then? Lol.

Given great WiFi coverage in a location, what is the difference of having Cellspot and a Wifi calling-enabled phone? Is it just the trafficshapin/prioritization?
    Have a T-mo enable/sanctioned wi-fi calling phone? You can use wi-fi calling pretty much anywhere a wi-fi signal is present.
    Have a T-mo enable/sanctioned wi-fi calling & VoLTE phone? same as above & T-mo says you can seamlessly hand-off between Wi-fi & T-Mo VoLTE tower signals.

Got T-mo Cellspot Wi-Fi router? 1 of the best wi-fi routers on the market for speed, range etc.
    Got T-mo Cellspot Wi-Fi router? With a T-mo enabled/sanctioned wi-fi phone, guaranteed quality wi-fi calling.
    Got T-mo Cellspot Wi-Fi router? With a T-mo enabled/sanctioned wi-fi & VoLTE phone, guaranteed quality wi-fi calling & seamless transition with VoLTE tower signal.

The Cellspot saves them the headache of dealing with various wi-fi setup support or error calls, as well as probably provides them some nice website/data usage metrics lol.

Have a T-mo Cel-Fi Booster? Amplifies the tower signal. Either 4G or 4G LTE(newest fall model provides latter), to provide full bar coverage at your location, from a dismal 1 bar without it.
    09-17-14 04:57 PM
    Wait--are you saying that they have opened up WFC and voLTE to all phones that may be used on their network?
    No. Where the heck did I say that?

If Tmo starts selling the new BB10 devices then you can bet your *** we'll see WFC on them. However, neither the Passport nor Classic exist on anyone's network yet, let alone Tmo, so it's impossible to know what will happen. That relationship has to be repaired first.

[Q10]
    09-17-14 05:40 PM
    No. Where the heck did I say that?
    Sorry, you didn't. I took your post to be saying that somehow this device could circumvent TMO's WFC device requirements, while making the assumption that TMO wouldn't be carrying either of the two phones.

But if they carry one or both, why would a Cellspot be required for WFC? A Z10 or Q10 doesn't require one right now...
    09-17-14 07:34 PM
    But if they carry one or both, why would a Cellspot be required for WFC? A Z10 or Q10 doesn't require one right now...
    If they carry the new BB devices then nothing should be needed. Although, I might need my head checked after the cellspot drama unfolds as I now doubt everything relayed to me this morning by business care at Tmo. Ugh.

[Q10]
    09-17-14 08:11 PM
    Just a FYI here, the only way this router can deliver QOS to your phone is if it is the only router in the system.

Routers have been attack vectors foe about the last 3 years. I really wouldn't trust s closed source router these days. I run DD-WRT.

If you don't have enough wired ports, you can add a switch to the T-Mobile device.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 11:44 PM
    I think there's a glimmer of hope.
    09-18-14 03:36 AM