Some of you may have read about my problems with t Mobile UK, BlackBerry World and Bb10. To summarise, BlackBerry World should only work with OS7 phones, not bb10 as bb10 does not use BIS. Fair enough.

Since T mobile have told me this and cut me off (I'm on holiday in Europe) my Z30 seems to have adopted a "Sod them" attitude to their restrictions (I am in France at the moment) and periodically happily connects to the network and works fine (you have to buy a booster to use the Internet at all, there's no use now pay later system with T Mobile UK) Suits me. I had put this down to using a wifi network and then moving out of range and somehow my phone just switching to the data network and happily continuing. It eventually (24hrs later sometimes) disconnects and it's not something that happens every time, just when the Z30 fancies it almost.

Now though my phone has decided it doesn't need a wifi connection to get working, nor obviously the booster, and why not go the whole hog and not even use the data services either! (Which are off along with the wifi, I have a small 3g symbol, the BlackBerry symbol and am posting this with these settings) I've treble checked all this to make sure I'm not going mad! It truly is a Harry Potter phone!

Obviously I'm not complaining and happy as Larry, but I'm now just a little bit scared of my phone....

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 04:22 AM
    Sounds like your phone has a mind of its own.
    09-17-14 05:42 AM
    This actually makes perfect sense. Wireless providers are able to service BB10 devices in one of two ways. They can treat them as other smartphones and just route the data, including data bound for BlackBerry, to the Internet and let it find its way. Or they can treat BlackBerry data differently and route it differently as they do with BIS/BES data. In the latter case they may charge extra. If your home network is the latter case, but your roam to a network that is the former case, then a BB10 phone will work without special BlackBerry activation because the network you are using at the time doesn't require it.

The opposite can happen too. A user from a network that doesn't require special BlackBerry provisioning may not get data when roaming on a network that does, depending on several other factors.
    09-17-14 08:14 AM
    But it shouldn't work with wifi and Data Services turned off should it?

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 11:46 AM
    You got the Wifi turned off, disables data service ( confirmed by having lower case 3g ), but still got the BlackBerry symbol?

That's weird

As far as I know, the BlackBerry symbol only shows after successful tunnel connection to BBRY's network, which needed to run specific BlackBerry apps, such as BBM, BlackBerry World, etc

But that connection won't happen without any data service

Weird....

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 01:50 PM
    You got the Wifi turned off, disables data service ( confirmed by having lower case 3g ), but still got the BlackBerry symbol?

That's weird

As far as I know, the BlackBerry symbol only shows after successful tunnel connection to BBRY's network, which needed to run specific BlackBerry apps, such as BBM, BlackBerry World, etc

But that connection won't happen without any data service

Weird....

Posted via CB10
    Indeed. I would like to see a screen shot.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 04:26 PM
    Harry Potters Magic BlackBerry!-img_20140917_110708.png
    Harry Potters Magic BlackBerry!-img_20140917_110701.png

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 01:07 AM
    Your device must have come from Harry Potter magic lands lol.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    09-18-14 03:34 AM
    Yup. That's one special device.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 03:39 AM
    I believe in magic really bizarre

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 04:27 AM
    OP, what OS are you running? Do you also have unlimited data due to this anomaly? Because that would be awesome.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    09-18-14 08:22 AM
    IS 10.2.1.3247, yes unlimited data too but it is hit and miss, sometimes it appears and works fine and others it doesn't. Sometimes after I move out of range of wifi it carries on working fine and you can turn wifi off, other times its just there first thing in the morning without wifi being on and then sometimes even with data turned off it works too. Remember, I have no plan for data on this sim in Europe so it should never work except on wifi. Really weird...

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 10:44 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140917_110708.png 
Views:	558 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	298558
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140917_110701.png 
Views:	556 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	298559

Posted via CB10
    What's that triangle with the R in it in the top right corner next to the 3g symbol?
    09-18-14 01:31 PM
    What's that triangle with the R in it in the top right corner next to the 3g symbol?
    R for Roaming data... it means you will be charged later if needed. Orange will give your data use to T Mobile.
    Why did I add "if needed" ? Well, if you are in France, data is often limitless here.
    09-18-14 01:59 PM
    R for Roaming data... it means you will be charged later if needed. Orange will give your data use to T Mobile.
    Why did I add "if needed" ? Well, if you are in France, data is often limitless here.
    Oh I see, must be an Orange thing because when I'm Roaming here in the states it just says what carrier I'm roaming on... thanks for the info.
    09-18-14 02:22 PM
    I believe this is related to IPv6 support: I think BlackBerry's network uses IPv6, and if, say, your WiFi network doesn't support IPv6, you won't get your BlackBerry symbol and won't get access to some BB services.

This is just off the top of my head, but might explain why in some cases you are getting BB services (when whatever network you are on DOES support / have IPv6 enabled) and in some cases you don't (like on the T-Mobile network or other WiFi networks).

You could check from the Settings / About etc.... look for an IPv6 IP address: when you have one, I bet your BB services work, and when you don't, I bet they don't. Again, just speculation, I ain't no BB NOC expert.
    09-18-14 02:33 PM