This may be a silly question about the Passport and other huge phones. What's the deal when people say it's a no go if they can't use it one-handed? What are you doing with the second hand that's so valuable? This may not be a good example because of the danger, but driving is the only thing I can think of because you need to have one hand on the wheel. Any other good examples so I can understand?

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    09-15-14 11:14 AM
    At the airport, dragging carry on stroller with phone in hand. Holding any sort of briefcase / bag while checking the phone with the other.

One handed operation is fairly important to a vast number of users.
    just_luc likes this.
    09-15-14 11:16 AM
    Walking the dog, pushing a baby carriage

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 11:20 AM
    Jeez, why didn't I think of that. Wish I never made the thread now. Oh well.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 11:21 AM
    Reading a book, eating, drinking, using a 2nd phone, holding a glass at a cocktail party.....it goes on

Posted via Digicel Z10 10.2.1.2977
    09-15-14 01:41 PM
    Holding onto some kind of rail /handle whilst using public transport

09-15-14 01:43 PM
    Coffee one hand, public urinal......many, many reasons.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 01:46 PM
    I'm pretty sure many one handed operations are still possible, maybe just not all of them.
    09-15-14 01:55 PM
    Technically even a Z30 or ip6 are not one handed devices. Z10 size is about the max size to use fully one handed for majority of people.
    However I think the passport will be fine for surfing the Web and reading emails with one hand. Will need two hands to reply. However even on my Z10 I type with two thumbs. So not much different there.

Posted via CB10
    ZedMacahan and Spawn12 like this.
    09-15-14 02:01 PM
    Same thoughts for me.
    It's just the weight I'm fearing. And the weight balance above all. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure it is manipulable with one hand. When I take my paper Passport I can go wherever I want on the virtual screen location with my thumb. However, not possible to reach the other side of the supposed keyboard. But, with a physical keyboard, you need to type with two hands. I am absolutely not capable of typing one handed with the Q10 (was barely able to do it with the Z10, and was not possible on the Z30 for me).
    09-15-14 02:55 PM
    Reading a book, eating, drinking, using a 2nd phone, holding a glass at a cocktail party.....it goes on

Using a second phone? That's hardcore...

Posted via CB10
    dejanh and AndyC52 like this.
    09-22-14 01:08 AM
    Don't forget people who use transit and have to hold onto something when the bus or train seats are full. I'm guessing it will be near impossible to type on the Passport with 1 hand. While it's true that the Z30 may not be a 1 handed device, the operating system itself is designed in mind with 1 hand in use which makes Z30 easier to navigate with 1 hand than some competing devices in the similar size. For example, we do not need to reach for the top of the screen like android to get to the notifications when there's the hub gesture. In 10.3 the overflow menu has all the items aligned to the bottom instead of being centred. The swipe gesture to the right in BB10 native apps is also a great example of 1 handed use design, don't need to reach for the corner back button itself when one can just drag from the middle of the screen. If you use android, you will know what I am trying to get at. They place the navigation button in apps sometimes in the top left corner of the screen.
    Alattin Simsek likes this.
    09-22-14 05:10 AM
    iCloud leaks

09-22-14 05:17 AM
    It is definitely not for one handed use. Inless yoy turn it sideways and use the keyboard to scroll a website. Other than that, you need two hands. It's a wide phone!

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 12:22 PM
    If you are looking for one-handed use then do not buy the phone period
    09-22-14 12:26 PM
    Well it is amazing. Gotta try it, it really grows on you!!

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 01:21 PM
    Carrying something, holding a cup of coffee, beer, cigarette, continuing to use the mouse on a PC while checking the phone etc etc....dozens of examples and I really do value it. I'm going to purchase the Passport anyway, just hoping it'll be ok.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 01:26 PM
    This may be a silly question about the Passport and other huge phones. What's the deal when people say it's a no go if they can't use it one-handed? What are you doing with the second hand that's so valuable? This may not be a good example because of the danger, but driving is the only thing I can think of because you need to have one hand on the wheel. Any other good examples so I can understand?

Posted via CB10
    Smoking a cigarette

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 01:34 PM
    Holding an umbrella!
    09-22-14 02:40 PM
    Well it is amazing. Gotta try it, it really grows on you!!

Posted via CB10
    I really hope it wouldn't... the phone is big enough right out of the box.

I'll walk myself out.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by vgorous; 09-22-14 at 10:44 PM.
    just_luc and dejanh like this.
    09-22-14 06:04 PM
    It's a good thing I'm 7' tall and 300lbs. I think this phone was made for my hand.
    09-22-14 06:25 PM
    Technically even a Z30 or ip6 are not one handed devices. Z10 size is about the max size to use fully one handed for majority of people.
    However I think the passport will be fine for surfing the Web and reading emails with one hand. Will need two hands to reply. However even on my Z10 I type with two thumbs. So not much different there.

Posted via CB10
    It takes some getting used to but z30 can be done 1 handed. Easier with 2 though.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-22-14 06:42 PM
    Don't forget people who use transit and have to hold onto something when the bus or train seats are full. I'm guessing it will be near impossible to type on the Passport with 1 hand. While it's true that the Z30 may not be a 1 handed device, the operating system itself is designed in mind with 1 hand in use which makes Z30 easier to navigate with 1 hand than some competing devices in the similar size. For example, we do not need to reach for the top of the screen like android to get to the notifications when there's the hub gesture. In 10.3 the overflow menu has all the items aligned to the bottom instead of being centred. The swipe gesture to the right in BB10 native apps is also a great example of 1 handed use design, don't need to reach for the corner back button itself when one can just drag from the middle of the screen. If you use android, you will know what I am trying to get at. They place the navigation button in apps sometimes in the top left corner of the screen.
    This. Flappy Bird was such a hit because you could play it while holding on while on a bus or train.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 08:53 PM
    Thought I'd add eating an ice cream cone/popsicle :-)

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 09:34 PM
    One handed operation is the main reason I'm personally on the fence about an upgrade. I do use my phone one handed a large portion of the day. And I'm not prepared to give that up.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    09-22-14 09:51 PM
31 12