09-15-14 10:31 AM
    Remember from our rules....

Copy/Paste of Articles - Blatant copy/paste of articles from outside sources with no additional commentary is strictly prohibited. Failure to include your own original thoughts or relevant feedback is discouraged. Blatant copy/paste offenders will receive a warning or infraction.
    09-15-14 11:23 AM
    The first relevant bit from the article:

"All of these pieces?and dozens more that he?s bought or built?combine into a corporate structure as byzantine as his overarching product. His 800 employees are splintered across offices in 14 cities, and NantWorks, the parent holding company, houses nine separate units, all with different investor groups and each apparently designed to trade independently as a tracking stock. The first IPO, as early as next year, will likely be NantHealth, his health care information technology play, poised to profit from new payment schemes created by ObamaCare. Investors include Verizon, Celgene, BlackBerry and the Kuwait Investment Authority. FORBES values NantHealth alone at $1.6 billion. All told, FORBES values the entirety of Soon-Shiong?s Nant-related holdings at $7.7 billion."

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 11:34 AM
    Whoa, he was responsible for Abraxane? That is a very cleverly designed drug, not because it is high tech but because it is very simple and addresses the major issues with paclitaxel.

Good article. So this is much earlier in R&D than I had thought. That seems to be the trend in BBRY's partnerships lately, such as with the virtual SIM company. I don't think that is a bad thing at all but they are potentially very long term until returns start showing up and the extent of the returns isn't clear at all.
    09-15-14 11:41 AM
    Whoa, he was responsible for Abraxane? That is a very cleverly designed drug, not because it is high tech but because it is very simple and addresses the major issues with paclitaxel.

Good article. So this is much earlier in R&D than I had thought. That seems to be the trend in BBRY's partnerships lately, such as with the virtual SIM company. I don't think that is a bad thing at all but they are potentially very long term until returns start showing up and the extent of the returns isn't clear at all.
    It's not like BlackBerry can afford (literally) to buy full fledged operating businesses (like say... in the Beats audio, or Whatsapp kind of scale), so they have to invest early in the potential.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 12:07 PM
    Thank you posting this. Great article.

There is also a 36min video within the article.

At the 32 min mark, Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong flashes a phone and quickly answers a question about Security.

Can anyone confirm if it is a White Z10?
    09-15-14 03:23 PM
    Thanks for posting this article

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 04:15 PM
  8. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Interesting... this could be huge for BlackBerry in the future....

BlackBerry ceo Chen...shrewd indeed...

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 07:44 PM
    So if his value goes up so does BlackBerry... at 8billion I'd say that's a good bet

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 01:13 AM
    It's not like BlackBerry can afford (literally) to buy full fledged operating businesses (like say... in the Beats audio, or Whatsapp kind of scale), so they have to invest early in the potential.

Posted via CB10
    Of course I understand that. But it also means the possibility of nothing coming out is incrementally higher. One must temper one's enthusiasm a little more.

Also, this venture does appear to me to be quite high risk. It wasn't just about working on healthcare management, this seems to be more about shaking up the entrenched horror show of a monolith that is US healthcare. I really am not sure that is possible given the unwillingness of the big players to play nice. And I know I have supported BBRY taking bigger risks for potentially bigger rewards but one has to pick one's battles wisely. I hope BBRY negotiated some prudent terms with that guy, who also seems a tad mercurial.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    09-16-14 08:37 AM
    Yeah, I wasn't commenting on the merits of the investment,.. just the relative "youth" of this one.

It does seem that they have a decent mix of "risk" going on with their investments, acquisitions and partnerships. Secusmart is a fully fledged operation with a product that works and is being bought already alongside BlackBerry devices, Movirtu sounds like more of a startup but with a well defined concept (and patents) and I believe a running service at some scale,.. and then you have this Nanthealth thing that does sort of sound like it could go nowhere, or skyrocket depending on how "the stars align."

Posted via CB10
    TGR1 and Ealaionta like this.
    09-16-14 11:48 PM
    Thanks for the article.

Let's give this guy some credit, he's not trying to pull a rabbit out of his backside and fool everyone ... it's a huge task, but we might all benefit from this one day!

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    09-17-14 06:17 PM
    This is a perfect project for BlackBerry and testing the IOT. The hospital environment is byzantine, where multiple computer banks can't talk to one another and mobile is frankly so unreliable to be a joke. The majority of employees are administrators spending their time, walking (and I repeat walking) patient information back and forth.
    Over 50% of every health care dollar in the US health care system is blown in administration costs. Everyone admits the inefficiencies are massive and that information management is the key to improvement. So you have a big problem with potentially a big payoff. A perfect place to spend your research dollars.

Posted via CB10
    orgonebox likes this.
    11-23-14 08:40 AM