I've seen various post about whether or not Verizon will have the passport. For now, let's assume they do. This brings a question to mind. It seems that the Passport doesn't include a CDMA radio. Verizon is poised to roll out Voice over LTE any week now, so this could work I guess. My questions:
    - can VoLTE work calling a non-VoLTE phone? I would assume so but I don't know.
    - what happens if I'm in an area that has weak LTE signal? Now my phone reverts to data over CDMA. And voice now is always CDMA.
    Anyone have answers?
    Eakle likes this.
    09-15-14 09:38 AM
    I've seen various post about whether or not Verizon will have the passport. For now, let's assume they do. This brings a question to mind. It seems that the Passport doesn't include a CDMA radio. Verizon is poised to roll out Voice over LTE any week now, so this could work I guess. My questions:
    - what happens if I'm in an area that has weak LTE signal? Now my phone reverts to data over CDMA. And voice now is always CDMA.
    Anyone have answers?
    I think the fact that "the Passport doesn't include a CDMA" is exactly why there is a belief that Verizon will not be carrying the Passport, at least not this variant. If it does, it will be at a later date and we'll probably see it through FCC with the proper bands.
    09-15-14 09:52 AM
    My understanding is that VZW will not be fully VoLTE for a couple of years. Because of this, I don't see a phone without CDMA as a viable solution on Verizon's network for quite some time. BB and Verizon are certainly not going to put a Passport on that carrier without CDMA. So, if Verizon is to get it, we will need to see a Passport that supports it.
    09-15-14 10:05 AM
    Someone made a thread with this exact theory.

However, Verizon pushed back their only-LTE network deployment to early 2015 I believe. So don't expect non-CDMA phones on Verizon just yet.
    09-15-14 10:37 AM
    Verizon made an investment in NantHealth. As did BlackBerry. It is like a match made in heaven.

Just seems too perfect.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 12:56 PM
    Someone made a thread with this exact theory.

However, Verizon pushed back their only-LTE network deployment to early 2015 I believe. So don't expect non-CDMA phones on Verizon just yet.
    Or maybe since the Passport is going to be low volume device they could do a slow roll out with it.

Hey we can all dream.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 01:11 PM
    Or maybe since the Passport is going to be low volume device they could do a slow roll out with it.

Hey we can all dream.

Posted via CB10
    I hope not. I can barely get 1X for calls in my neighborhood,.. I need something with a shortwave transceiver on it. Lol

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 03:05 PM
    Anyone have answers?
    Both phones must be VOLTE for it to work so it will be of limited use for awhile until more models have it enabled (have only heard about S5 and LG G2 at launch).
    09-15-14 03:25 PM
    Anyone have any more insight to offer? I'd really like to know if vzw is going carry the passport.

I need to decide if I'm staying with vzw or jumping ship soon because my wife is upgrading to the iPhone 6. I'm not staying with vzw if they're not going to carry the passport.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 07:29 PM
    The best explanation I've heard is that Verizon won't carry Passport until mid-November at the earliest. This would follow the same pattern as the Z30. World-wide launch excluding the U.S., and a couple months later it finally came to Verizon. So a global launch for the Passport in September, then a CDMA variant for Verizon in November. It hasn't hit the FCC yet because it's still too early.
    wnyjackson likes this.
    09-15-14 08:38 PM
    Anyone have any more insight to offer? I'd really like to know if vzw is going carry the passport.

I need to decide if I'm staying with vzw or jumping ship soon because my wife is upgrading to the iPhone 6. I'm not staying with vzw if they're not going to carry the passport.

Posted via CB10
    If the Passport launches in the US in early October, I'll jump to whichever carrier releases it first. I'd be quite fine with Tmo if wifi calling has been fixed.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 08:39 PM
    So wait, BlackBerry is releasing a flagship device without CDMA? So AT&T only...lol it really is the next Amazon Fire. SMH.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 08:50 PM
    The Passport includes a huge variety of radio formats and frequency bands... it would seem to me everything but CDMA. why would BlackBerry make only CDMA a variant phone model? Is it that different that it couldn't be included? I see that the iPhone 6 includes all those bands and also CDMA.... surely it would make sense to only have one phone model? I'm confused. And worried. I've been with Verizon for many years, but I want a Passport!
    09-15-14 09:56 PM
    The Passport includes a huge variety of radio formats and frequency bands... it would seem to me everything but CDMA. why would BlackBerry make only CDMA a variant phone model? Is it that different that it couldn't be included? I see that the iPhone 6 includes all those bands and also CDMA.... surely it would make sense to only have one phone model? I'm confused. And worried. I've been with Verizon for many years, but I want a Passport!
    Agreed. You can see a great improvement in the bands included in the VZW Z30 as compared to the VZW Z10. The Z10 was pretty much incapable overseas for anything more than a few 3G bands (all I ever got was EDGE). The Z30 has a good range of HSPA+, which is quite sufficient for most uses (especially while traveling). I imagine it's not so much a technical limitation as a carrier imposed limitation (which never apply to all holy Apple). Verizon might still be reluctant to certify a device that can be easily carried over to competitors with full functionality.

I don't really know... hopefully Troy Tiscareno is roaming around and will provide a better explanation.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 11:22 PM