Okay, first time poster, so go easy on me, please. Just like the rest of you, Blackberry is without a doubt my favourite smart phone/tablet of all time (especially the Z series). I bought a problematic Z10 in hopes to fix it so I can build apps for it. Since I worked on Blackberry phones under a contract from RIM, I do have a fair bit of knowledge regarding how these things work, but in this case, not enough to get this Z10 working again.

This phone has the dreaded red light of death, and I bought it off of some guy on craigslist today. It has a new battery, no SIM card, and the red light blinks on and off. I tried plugging it into my computer, but it disconnects every time the red light goes away, which is every few seconds. Since this works for almost everyone, I first tried opening up the BlackBerry Link program and attempt to reset to factory settings. However, I can't do that because it's giving me the "PIN: 0" followed by "You have X password attempts remaining."m (see screenshot). So I called the guy and he said that he never had a password on it. Does it do this when there's no SIM card in there or something? When I was contracted under RIM, we had a command line tool that we used to flash and install OS updates and "radio" files that we downloaded directly from QNX (I think it was foundry54). I assume that was only a dev tool, so I don't know if such tools are available to the public. So, do you all install that 10.3 beta via command line? I don't know how the every day user does it, but I'm assuming I'll still have to deal with the password lock thingy.

Lastly, how can I tell whether my Z10 is a Lisbon, Laguna or Liverpool? I've been searching google for this, but there's not much info out there when it comes to Blackberries. I'm asking because when we did our OS updates using the command line tool, we had to identify every device and use the appropriate updates, lest it didn't work and we had to start over.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Shogun.
    Attached Thumbnails What can I do with this Z10?-capture.png  
    09-15-14 12:52 AM
    Okay, first time poster, so go easy on me, please. Just like the rest of you, Blackberry is without a doubt my favourite smart phone/tablet of all time (especially the Z series). I bought a problematic Z10 in hopes to fix it so I can build apps for it. Since I worked on Blackberry phones under a contract from RIM, I do have a fair bit of knowledge regarding how these things work, but in this case, not enough to get this Z10 working again.

This phone has the dreaded red light of death, and I bought it off of some guy on craigslist today. It has a new battery, no SIM card, and the red light blinks on and off. I tried plugging it into my computer, but it disconnects every time the red light goes away, which is every few seconds. Since this works for almost everyone, I first tried opening up the BlackBerry Link program and attempt to reset to factory settings. However, I can't do that because it's giving me the "PIN: 0" followed by "You have X password attempts remaining."m (see screenshot). So I called the guy and he said that he never had a password on it. Does it do this when there's no SIM card in there or something? When I was contracted under RIM, we had a command line tool that we used to flash and install OS updates and "radio" files that we downloaded directly from QNX (I think it was foundry54). I assume that was only a dev tool, so I don't know if such tools are available to the public. So, do you all install that 10.3 beta via command line? I don't know how the every day user does it, but I'm assuming I'll still have to deal with the password lock thingy.

Lastly, how can I tell whether my Z10 is a Lisbon, Laguna or Liverpool? I've been searching google for this, but there's not much info out there when it comes to Blackberries. I'm asking because when we did our OS updates using the command line tool, we had to identify every device and use the appropriate updates, lest it didn't work and we had to start over.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Shogun.
    Okay, let's start with the easy one. I'm guessing the Lisbon, Laguna and Liverpool are all names for the device versions STL100- 2/3/4. Not particularly in that order. Either way, you can confirm this by looking under the battery. STL-100 2/3/4 use the same processor and gpu. STL-100 1 is the odd one out, with different internals, and is the only non-LTE variant.

Secondly, we use the command line tool to install new core and radio os files. They are called Autoloaders, connect the phone and simply double click the autoloader, and it takes care of the whole process. You should try one of these to try to solve your problem. Lastly, yes you will need the password for the autoloader as well. I don't know off any way to bypass that.

PS: A simple search on the CB forums for 10.3.0.1154 autoloader will lead you to the right place. You'll need to download a loader suitable to your device variant.

Also, check this out - http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=958647

EDIT: Just saw the image attached. This could be a dead motherboard, because BlackBerry Link isn't picking up a device pin.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by arnavrs; 09-15-14 at 01:26 AM.
    09-15-14 01:04 AM
    Charge phone
    Shut down phone (wait another 3 minutes to make sure phone shuts all the way down)
    Start autoloader and wait until you see "connecting to bootrom "
    Plug in phone
    Wait until you see green led
    That's a good sign, os will load
    Wait for phone to load os ( approximately 3- 8 minutes)

Any questions feel free to pm me...

CrackBerry Genius on Verizon Z10 on 10.3.0.1154
    09-15-14 03:08 AM
    After some more googling, I found out that if I put in the PIN incorrectly 10 times in a row, then it will delete the user data, and allow me to restore to factory settings. I used one of the auto loaders, but it went back to the flashing red light. So, what I'll do now is attempt to use the last stable release via BlackBerry Link. If that doesn't work, then I don't know what will.

Shogun.

EDIT: Even though I got the green light during the update, it still goes back to the flashing red light. Holding the power button to turn it on does nothing.
    Last edited by blueshogun96; 09-15-14 at 04:16 AM.
    09-15-14 04:02 AM
    I must admit it doesn't sound encouraging. It might be worth trying to reload the OS from Link, both with and without the battery inserted.
    Failing that, there is a tool called SicWipe or similar which might recover the phone. I'm sure another member will advise, once the North American contingent are back online.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 05:02 AM
    Shut down phone
    09-15-14 05:08 AM
    I must admit it doesn't sound encouraging. It might be worth trying to reload the OS from Link, both with and without the battery inserted.
    Failing that, there is a tool called SicWipe or similar which might recover the phone. I'm sure another member will advise, once the North American contingent are back online.

Posted via CB10
    Tried it. Same result. It installs just fine, but just afterwards, it starts flashing the red LED again.

Shut down phone
    It's kinda hard to shutdown a phone that technically won't turn on.

Shogun.
    09-15-14 10:46 AM