Ok.. one of my Big bug bears is app announcements from businesses who design for all other platforms but not BlackBerry. I contact them and ask, to be told that they won't be. GrrRrrrrr. Seriously, how hard is it to include BlackBerry in their design from the start? Code is code and branching is just that.. branching..

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 08:08 PM
    So... which app are you announcing, exactly?

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 08:25 PM
    Why develop for a market that is so tiny that hardly anyone realises that it's even still running? Most of the world thinks BlackBerry are in Legacy still or just flat out dead

Posted via CB10
    FrankIAm likes this.
    09-10-14 08:38 PM
    It isn't hard, but it is different, although anyone with Nokia development experience should have no difficulties.

Your statement that code is code and branching is branching, while true, greatly oversimplifies the situation. Learning to program for a new platform is about the same as learning to speak a new language. You might be able to get around town, order meals and check into a hotel within a short time, but you won't win any political debates without a great deal of practice, even if you are already an accomplished politician.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-11-14 08:30 AM
    Ok.. one of my Big bug bears is app announcements from businesses who design for all other platforms but not BlackBerry. I contact them and ask, to be told that they won't be. GrrRrrrrr. Seriously, how hard is it to include BlackBerry in their design from the start? Code is code and branching is just that.. branching..

Posted via CB10
    Get your hand on coding. Start by downloading the IDE at http://qt-project.org/wiki/category:tools::qtcreator

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    09-11-14 08:49 AM
    Why develop for a market that is so tiny that hardly anyone realises that it's even still running? Most of the world thinks BlackBerry are in Legacy still or just flat out dead

Posted via CB10
    And the market is too small. I still earn thrice more from Nokia Store for Symbian version than BBW. The so called dead platform still give me more revenue than BBW. So have gone to android first.

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    09-11-14 08:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    Just a bit of perspective. Code is Code just how English is Spanish. There are translators for both, but they aren't perfect. Effort is required, and knowledge of the translated languages is required.

BlackBerry is C++. Android is Java, iOS is Objective C (moving to SWIFT), and Win Phone is .NET (Visual C++, C#, VB).

Then there's more than just the code. There's the UI to build. Now you're looking at more programming languages/syntax.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 09:15 AM
    One solution is to use Qt and support all platforms at once. Just my 2 cents.
    09-11-14 10:14 AM
    That will require the knowledge of C++, will it not?

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 10:17 AM
    Not entirely true nor false.
    Qt has 2 parts. Imperative, which is C++ in low level but wrapped in nice Qt classes instead of C++ horrors.
    Second is QML, or called QtQuick which is Javascript basically.
    You can do whole apps in one or the other or use both as you see fit.
    All of this works on all desktops, and all 4 major mobile platforms.
    Cascades was built upon Qt4.8.6 for example. Latest version is Qt5.3.1.
    09-11-14 10:27 AM