I was working with a top tier technical support person (who was in Costa Rica) late yesterday due to some issues with BlackBerry Link. During some down time I asked him about the Passport. He went on and on about it. I then asked if he knew any release info re the device re the US. He said price is still unknown but it looks like it will be available around Dec, likely January.

True or not I dunno....but it is what he said.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 07:50 AM
    I heard another support person tell them that BlackBerry 10 was guaranteed to be coming to the PlayBook in a few weeks... take it all with a grain of salt. Hopefully he's right, but they sometimes feed false information to get people excited.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 08:14 AM
    Interesting. I haven't seen anything posted.....so far. But, anything is possible since dates and timelines change all the time. Hopefully sooner.
    09-10-14 08:16 AM
    I wonder if US customers will be able to purchase unlocked versions that will work with local providers prior to the official release in the US.
    Would anyone with contacts care to speculate?
    09-10-14 09:13 AM
    Depressing if this is true. So we talk about a new phone for months then the competitors come out with their new phone and we still have to wait another 4 months b4 we can buy they phone. And you wonder why people leave BB to go get other phones
    09-10-14 09:27 AM
    there's no way this is true...

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 09:50 AM
    I have no other course of action but to refuse this is true.
    09-10-14 09:55 AM
    I wonder if US customers will be able to purchase unlocked versions that will work with local providers prior to the official release in the US.
    Would anyone with contacts care to speculate?
    I hope so. I've been told that BlackBerry does not sell unlocked devices immediately because of carrier agreements. So, for example, you saw the Z30 US GSM become available directly from BlackBerry in an unlocked version about six months after it was available on Verizon.

My thoughts are that carrier relationship models were essential to BlackBerry a few years ago, but the company would be better off building a direct sales effort like Bose today. It's margins would probably be higher and I'm very skeptical that many people who are undecided consumers enter carrier stores and leave with BlackBerry 10 devices. It's not a friendly sales environment. Why should BlackBerry sacrifice much of its competitiveness to appease carriers who just aren't going to move BlackBerry devices?

Don't get me wrong. Companies that prioritize direct sales over retail have to be good at direct marketing. I'd expect to get several very persuasive emails announcing the Passport and discounts for upgrading as an existing BlackBerry device owner. All that has to be handled well, but it seems as if BlackBerry could make Chen's target of 10 million devices sold doing so.

Once BlackBerry reestablished it's ability to sell directly to a large and growing customer base, the carriers will be much more interested and flexible in negotiations. Remember that Apple's strength with the iPhone came from direct sales and retail -- it was initially only available on AT&T and much of the sales over the years have happened at Apple Stores. BlackBerry had a niche following that is amenable to this as well.

Posted via CB10
    ptpete and bigbbrybeliever like this.
    09-10-14 10:12 AM
    I'm gonna cry if this is true. But no guys, if it's Oct 1 for UK/Canada/UAE then we gotta get it late October or early November in US. I guarantee it... maybe.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 01:35 PM
    I'm gonna cry if this is true. But no guys, if it's Oct 1 for UK/Canada/UAE then we gotta get it late October or early November in US. I guarantee it... maybe.

Posted via CB10
    It would be a deliberate "f- you" to their US customers if they were to release it in January. I choose not to believe that BlackBerry is this stupid. But if they happen to be, I'll jump to another phone on principle alone. The US will get the Passport soon after launch, I'd be willing to bet. So no worries.

Posted via CB10
    Coachbulldog and lang007 like this.
    09-10-14 01:39 PM
    One thing we should all know from past experience, never assume when it comes to decisions from BlackBerry. We may end up scratching our heads at the final decisions made regarding release dates while those making the final decisions are considered correct and accurate by Chen and others. Unfortunately, IMHO, I really haven't noticed anything that leads me to believe the US market will be treated any differently.....so far. But, we could see more advertising after the release.

Posted on my Z10 on 10.0.3.1152 OS
    09-10-14 02:35 PM
    It would be a deliberate "f- you" to their US customers if they were to release it in January. I choose not to believe that BlackBerry is this stupid. But if they happen to be, I'll jump to another phone on principle alone. The US will get the Passport soon after launch, I'd be willing to bet. So no worries.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure BB would love to see it in US distribution channels as soon as possible, but I'm not sure how receptive the carrier network here will be. After all, they didn't do so well with last years releases and AT&T opted not to carry the Z30 which is what I would have upgraded to from my Z10.
    09-10-14 03:01 PM
    I'm sure BB would love to see it in US distribution channels as soon as possible, but I'm not sure how receptive the carrier network here will be. After all, they didn't do so well with last years releases and AT&T opted not to carry the Z30 which is what I would have upgraded to from my Z10.
    Same here.......and many others.

Posted on my Z10 on 10.0.3.1152 OS
    LP_Rigg likes this.
    09-10-14 03:36 PM
    I heard another support person tell them that BlackBerry 10 was guaranteed to be coming to the PlayBook in a few weeks... take it all with a grain of salt. Hopefully he's right, but they sometimes feed false information to get people excited.

Posted via CB10
    If it actually came, could you imagine the response on this site? Would be awesome.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 04:12 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if the release date is January, that sucks for who ever wants one on contract.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 04:16 PM
    February 2015
    "price tag of $700+ USD. The premium and gold models would likely be even higher." -
    N4BB By Lucas Atkins
    Source : No BlackBerry Passport US Launch Event ? Are You Worried? | N4BB
    09-10-14 04:17 PM
    February 2015
    "price tag of $700+ USD. The premium and gold models would likely be even higher." -
    N4BB By Lucas Atkins
    If this is true BB has just signed its death warrant, and I would be do damn disappointed. This would go down as one of the most monumental distribution flubs of all time.

Didn't Chen know what he was doing when he cut off TMO earlier this year? I thought that would mean BB would be more likely to sell unlocked GSM phones (at least ones that work on at least TMO) because BB didn't have to worry about upsetting TMO by selling unlocked GSM phones and circumventing the TMO carrier sales route. Am I wrong? Help me please. Will someone from BB clear this up?
    09-10-14 04:29 PM
    Based on every single BlackBerry launch in recent memory, I have the worst feeling that this is 100% true.
    JeepBB and boi2012 like this.
    09-10-14 07:36 PM
    The global launch has been confirmed by BlackBerry for the 24th of this month. With the Z30 Verizon got it two months later, which would be mid-November. If it takes anywhere near that long I'll be using an iPhone 6 by then.
    BryantCarpio likes this.
    09-10-14 07:57 PM
    If this doesnt launch in the US until January or February, I'll have long since jumped ship to another phonemaker.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 08:38 PM
    I think we'd have heard something if any US carrier had definite plans to carry the Passport soon after launch. In my opinion they'll wait to see if it gets any traction elsewhere. So January sounds plausible.

Posted from my Q10.
    boi2012 likes this.
    09-10-14 09:07 PM
    If this is true BB has just signed its death warrant, and I would be do damn disappointed. This would go down as one of the most monumental distribution flubs of all time.

Didn't Chen know what he was doing when he cut off TMO earlier this year? I thought that would mean BB would be more likely to sell unlocked GSM phones (at least ones that work on at least TMO) because BB didn't have to worry about upsetting TMO by selling unlocked GSM phones and circumventing the TMO carrier sales route. Am I wrong? Help me please. Will someone from BB clear this up?
    I will help you, you have no idea what you are talking about! Comprende?
    illlya likes this.
    09-10-14 11:37 PM
    If this doesnt launch in the US until January or February, I'll have long since jumped ship to another phonemaker.

Posted via CB10
    Same. If this thing doesn't launch in 2014 I'm getting something else. Forget it already.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-14 12:51 AM
    It would be a real shame if this latest attempt to do something different ends up all marred again by completely botched release execution a la Z10. The more I feel that BlackBerry has completely given up on US market. Z3 LTE is nowhere to be seen either.
    09-11-14 01:15 AM
    I was working with a top tier technical support person (who was in Costa Rica) late yesterday due to some issues with BlackBerry Link. During some down time I asked him about the Passport. He went on and on about it. I then asked if he knew any release info re the device re the US. He said price is still unknown but it looks like it will be available around Dec, likely January.

True or not I dunno....but it is what he said.

Posted via CB10
    This article said it will arrive the second or third week of October
    BlackBerry Passport to be Released on 1 October
    09-11-14 01:18 AM
44 12