It's kinda funny that such an important release such as the Passport won't be available in the US for a long looong time and that other countries will get it first.

Usually it's the other way around!!

My poor fellow Americans now I understand how the rest of the world feels

Posted via CB10
    Iblamesummers likes this.
    09-07-14 04:12 AM
    It won't be available where I am either, as keen as I am, I know prices will drop in time.

Learned my lesson well when I got the Z10 on launch day, close to NZ$1000.00, I am picking up a near new model NZ$150, when I picked a brand new Q10 for $320

Sent from my White Q10 using Tapatalk
    ronfc likes this.
    09-07-14 04:47 AM
    It's kinda funny that such an important release such as the Passport won't be available in the US for a long looong time and that other countries will get it first.

Posted via CB10
    I imagine the passport will be available on the BlackBerry online store, but if the price is too high. I will wait for it to come down to reality just like the z10 and z30 did.

My other option is to buy a unlocked one from my Canadian friends since I am right across the border from Windsor Ontario.

Sent from my Lovely z30 on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1154)
    neteng1000 and ronfc like this.
    09-07-14 04:56 AM

Posted via CB10
    It's not "funny" when you look at how important the US market is to BlackBerry right now. Compared to SE Asia, the UK, the Middle East, or Canada, it's not a significant market at all.

To try to launch there first is kind of an act of desperation. Why bother?
    potatoguy, acovey and BryanVilla like this.
    09-07-14 05:25 AM
    It's not "funny" when you look at how important the US market is to BlackBerry right now. Compared to SE Asia, the UK, the Middle East, or Canada, it's not a significant market at all.

As an American and a BlackBerry fan, I agree with what you are saying. What's happened here in the USA is a major shift to Android and IOS which has been embedded into the culture here.

All I see are TV commercials and adds about the Samsung Galaxy and the Apple iPhone 5s and how it can improve you lifestyle. Forget about the childish iSheep and Fanboy crap, this is about smart and effective marketing and both companies are making billions of dollars because of it.

Things are allot different now since BlackBerry had their huge market share back in the day. They will never have dominant market share they once had, but with the latest round of hacks and security breaches, they can still be a niche brand and make money doing it. As a BlackBerry user, this is all I can ask for.

09-07-14 06:22 AM

Because that seems to fly in the face of any argument that the Passport is aimed squarely at enterprise and not the consumer market, as has been so heavily bruited here. I don't think anyone could argue that the US remains a rather significant corporate market. If the 3-city launch is indeed exclusively for the Passport, seems not targeted well. Does anyone know who is on the invite list? Any way to get a sense of which industries will be in the audience?

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I remain unclear as to both BBRY's focus and aims. And more so than when JC spoke up initially. I think that holds true for many others too. And that bothers me on a fundamental level as muddled focus has been among the big sore points with RIM/BBRY's drop in fortunes. This launch will be interesting to see.
    09-07-14 07:47 AM
    Just because BlackBerry doesn't have a launch site in the US doesn't mean it won't be available. I suspect it will via Shop BlackBerry, Verizon or AT&T.

When it came to the Z series, I felt the New York launch was a mistake. Too much flash and not enough substance. Then you were playing into a market that was hostile. Not a recipe for success.

Like it or not BlackBerry needs to be strategic. A phone launch is of little interest to enterprise and Chen knows it. The ground game are the smaller focused events they have been running over the last 4 months. If BlackBerry wants enterprise to buy their devices, which by the way are top notch, they have to be aggressively priced. The Days of the 700 dollar phone are over. This is the reality for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 08:13 AM
    Just because BlackBerry doesn't have a launch site in the US doesn't mean it won't be available. I suspect it will via Shop BlackBerry, Verizon or AT&T.

When it came to the Z series, I felt the New York launch was a mistake. Too much flash and not enough substance. Then you were playing into a market that was hostile. Not a recipe for success.

Like it or not BlackBerry needs to be strategic. A phone launch is of little interest to enterprise and Chen knows it. The ground game are the smaller focused events they have been running over the last 4 months. If BlackBerry wants enterprise to buy their devices, which by the way are top notch, they have to be aggressively priced. The Days of the 700 dollar phone are over. This is the reality for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Well put, I have been saying this for a while now. The corporate world has become a "value added" mindset and any new capital purchases better have that label on them, period.

Do you think for one minute the BYOD programs are for the employees benefit? Wrong, they are designed to save the company money.

I sure as hell hope the marketing folks up there in Waterloo are paying attention, because as a self employed business person myself, I sure am.

09-07-14 09:54 AM
    They should have an event down in Washington DC . Still have a large base here. What happened with that DC center they were building? They have missed the window to get all of the end of year spending yet again with the US Federal market.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    09-07-14 09:58 AM
    Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 12:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    AT&T told me they will definitely carry it. When, I don't know...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    09-07-14 01:15 PM
    are you sure that Passport will not be available?
    As far as I read, only the "event" will not be held in US. But device, itself, will be available more or less like in other countries.
    FunktasticLucky and bungaboy like this.
    09-07-14 01:35 PM
    The way I read it, he IS American, and he is only expressing empathy for other countries, because in the past it was always the US that got things first and everyone else had to wait.

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    Thanks. That's exactly how I meant it.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 01:45 PM
    Blackberry is focusing on their strongest markets, and the USA is not one of them right now.

Posted via CB from my Z10
    09-07-14 01:49 PM
    It's not a good thing for BlackBerry.

US is the biggest smartphone market in the world, and probably third biggest mobile phone market (behind China and India). If BB doesn't launch here, it's only hurting itself. Unfortunately, BB has lost in the US so they might be "strategically" not even competing there.
    09-07-14 02:02 PM
    US is a huge consumer market for any product. It requires a lot of constant bombardment to get into consumers mind. Major companies with huge bank accounts can afford what BlackBerry cannot. It's not a slight on the Americans Passport is not being launch in the US. What it did spend on Z10 and BB10 launch is not even close enough to get notice by majority of US consumers. And it did spend quite a bit of what BlackBerry can afford then. They are not going to even try with Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek and Blacklatino like this.
    09-07-14 02:23 PM
    Lol nothing is confirmed, but are people in the US REALLY surprised if we don't get it until later in the year? Lol I know I'm not. I'm sure it won't be on shop BlackBerry either lol

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 02:59 PM
    Lol nothing is confirmed, but are people in the US REALLY surprised if we don't get it until later in the year? Lol I know I'm not. I'm sure it won't be on shop BlackBerry either lol

Posted via CB10
    As long as we get it at some point.
    09-07-14 03:02 PM
    As long as we get it at some point.
    Agree....i just don't expect much from BlackBerry being in the U.S.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 04:06 PM
    Because that seems to fly in the face of any argument that the Passport is aimed squarely at enterprise and not the consumer market, as has been so heavily bruited here. I don't think anyone could argue that the US remains a rather significant corporate market. If the 3-city launch is indeed exclusively for the Passport, seems not targeted well. Does anyone know who is on the invite list? Any way to get a sense of which industries will be in the audience?

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I remain unclear as to both BBRY's focus and aims. And more so than when JC spoke up initially. I think that holds true for many others too. And that bothers me on a fundamental level as muddled focus has been among the big sore points with RIM/BBRY's drop in fortunes. This launch will be interesting to see.
    Enterprise couldn't care less about launch dates, because that marketing is done through entirely different channels. You can be sure that many potential corporate customers in the US are already evaluating the Passport.
    09-07-14 04:54 PM
    As an American and a BlackBerry fan, I agree with what you are saying. What's happened here in the USA is a major shift to Android and IOS which has been embedded into the culture here.

All I see are TV commercials and adds about the Samsung Galaxy and the Apple iPhone 5s and how it can improve you lifestyle. Forget about the childish iSheep and Fanboy crap, this is about smart and effective marketing and both companies are making billions of dollars because of it.

Things are allot different now since BlackBerry had their huge market share back in the day. They will never have dominant market share they once had, but with the latest round of hacks and security breaches, they can still be a niche brand and make money doing it. As a BlackBerry user, this is all I can ask for.

It maybe hard to believe but it is a fact for those in the know that Americans are NOT ALLOWED to use BlackBerry. Yes it may appear that Americans have the freedom of choice but anyone who understands/ educated on propaganda and brainwashing techniques understand that isn't the case. It's right in front of everyone's eyes if they can open them. There is a reason why the American elite use BlackBerry while telling the masses BlackBerry is garbage. This is IMO only and does not reflect reality since crazy = sane and sane = crazy. I also believe we live in 1984. Now here come the thought police with their tin foil hats.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 05:06 PM
    I believe the best hope for BlackBerry is to build their base in countries where they are still relevant and then attempt to re enter the US market when they are on solid footing. Canada, UK, middle east,south east asia and parts of Africa are strong markets for BB and they need to focus on those areas for now.
    brosee, acovey, leejayh and 2 others like this.
    09-07-14 06:02 PM
    I'm not even sure what anybody is talking about in here. The Z10 was released in the US months after it was released in other areas, so this is nothing new for a Blackberry launch.
    sentimentGX4 and Blacklatino like this.
    09-07-14 06:05 PM
    It maybe hard to believe but it is a fact for those in the know that Americans are NOT ALLOWED to use BlackBerry. Yes it may appear that Americans have the freedom of choice but anyone who understands/ educated on propaganda and brainwashing techniques understand that isn't the case. It's right in front of everyone's eyes if they can open them. There is a reason why the American elite use BlackBerry while telling the masses BlackBerry is garbage. This is IMO only and does not reflect reality since crazy = sane and sane = crazy. I also believe we live in 1984. Now here come the thought police with their tin foil hats.

Posted via CB10
    Or it just could be they made good products that caught on? That's as good as a reason as saying everyone who doesn't buy a BlackBerry is brainwashed is it not?

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 06:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lol, ok.
    09-07-14 06:17 PM
71 123