So, I've only had two BlackBerries: my current Q10 (getting the PP as soon as it's out), and my old Torch 9800. I (rightfully) hated that Torch for many reasons, but one thing I absolutely loved about it was the automatic selection of data technology, based on what was being needed. For example, on automatic, if there was no or minimal data going in an out (so, when it's just sitting in my pocket), it'd be on 2G. Then, if I took it out to use it, if I was loading up a song, it'd automatically chose 3G, and a video, probably 3.5. As someone who needs and appreciates all the battery life they can get, on my Q10 now, this feature is sorely missed. In general, my phone's on 2G (my choice). Battery's pretty great when I leave it there, and pretty ****ty on 3.5/4G. Realistically, I don't need it on 3/3.5 much, but when I'm doing pretty much anything with it, I do. Casual web browsing and song-streaming, practically, require faster data. Except, what usually happens is I turn 3G/4G on for the couple of songs, get off the bus or train, and a few hours later, pull out my phone to find that I forgot to turn data back to 2G, and I'm down a significant percentage of battery life. This is very frustrating. Does someone know a way to enable the automatic data tech switching that older BBOS phones had? At this point, I'd even settle for a headless app that consumes a bit of energy to monitor it, just to make sure that this doesn't happen. Thanks.
    09-06-14 01:45 AM
    Well gaytheist, I'm glad that you're getting the PP as soon as it comes out. Sometimes people say they're going to wait but it's refreshing to see someone who really knows what they want and goes for it. As for the feature; I used to attribute the radio switching modes to dropped calls. Others did too, maybe that's why?
    09-06-14 02:04 AM
    Depending where you live, 2g may not be around much longer. In any event, it has been hacked and is no longer secure. Anyway, there is a 2g only option on bb10. That said, I set up my phone to never go to 2g, at least when in civilization. The Stingrays and hackers (is there a difference) jam 3g/4g/LTE, then your phone goes to 2g if enabled, then you get pwnd.

I suggest you check the apps manager -> device monitor -> battery 48 hours and see where you are consuming the most power.

I found the imap syncing was a huge battery killer. The default was 20 minutes. I set it to 4 hours. I don't have any sync problems.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 01:39 AM
    Not every BB10 device has the 2G option. You are riding in areas with no data connection. In those areas TURN OFF the data. Your phone will stop searching for data and will save A LOT of battery.

CrackBerry Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.1154
    09-07-14 02:04 AM
    I'd like to receive alerts notifications and buzzes when my phone starts consuming power by boosting its radio amplifier to pick up weak "data". Right now I'm managing it all manually -- but it could be automatically done by the OS.
    I'm happy going onto SMS, knowing I've got more stored battery power to spare when I turn data back on, like when I get to the top of the mountain.
    My Z30 has never drained its battery, so I'm asking to automate a routine task only because the phone can spot the condition before I can.
    09-07-14 01:28 PM
    I'm not sure what power you are saving turning off data in areas with poor reception. You phone is still periodically talking to the tower, even with data turned off. You phone has to keep some association with the network.

Unless you are browsing, the only data you are receiving is email, and even then, just the header. You only read the message when you open it. And BBM if you use it.

Now as I stated previously, the email sync is a power hog. Once I increased the interval, my battery life issues were gone.

Now I do carry a battery "bundle" for when I go hiking. The poor reception drains the battery faster, but even a 5 hour hike doesn't kill the phone, and that is with the bluetooth on and listening to podcasts.

Incidentally, I block SMS at the carrier. It is a security issue. I only allow 3 digit texts from the carrier.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-14 01:57 PM
    I'm not sure what power you are saving turning off data in areas with poor reception. You phone is still periodically talking to the tower, even with data turned off. You phone has to keep some association with the network.

Posted via CB10
    You're not saying that you don't save battery by turning off data, correct? I mean, c'mon, my PP could go, like, a *week* on a single charge if I didn't enable data.
    01-29-15 05:18 PM