Hi All,

I received a free Z30 and am trying to move my media card from my Z10 (STL100-4). It seems I'm unable to decrypt my card. The screen shows media card encryption slider set to "on", however I can't slide it off - nothing happens. I've decrypted my device as that slider works. I attempted to decrypt my media card prior to decrypting the device, then decrypted my device to see if that would allow me to decrypt my card. I'm running OS Version 10.3.0.1052

Thanks
    09-04-14 02:32 PM
    How did you install the 10.3.xxx OS? When was the card encrypted? Before or after the leak was loaded? And you've used the card since the 10.3 was loaded? I am not sure but I THINK that if you used an autoloader after encryption, that the "key" is lost when the phone is reset or wiped?

But maybe others will have some better news or advice.

Good luck.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    09-04-14 05:05 PM
    I've done this before. Hope it didn't happen to you.

Are you on a work server?

If you are on an exchange server the card was likely auto encrypted. Or you just encrypted it yourself perhaps?

If you downloaded the leak without first decrypting the card you have lost the data.

The card is looking for the security associated with the old os...which you wiped when installing the new os.

Hope this isn't the case but I did this twice when installing leaks.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 05:08 PM
    This happened to me last year switching over to 10.2. To my understanding, there is no hope to save the encrypted content. After 3 weeks of trying in vain to decrypt the card, I gave up and formatted the card. Lost about one month's worth of photos and videos as I didn't back up the card's content before upgrading to 10.2
    09-05-14 12:47 AM
    Since I'm switching phones I haven't lost anything, I copied everything from the card. The card was encrypted prior to me putting on the leak. The issue was really that the slider would not move if I attempted to "turn off" encryption. Since I have offloaded all the media, I'll probably just wipe it.
    09-05-14 08:36 AM
    As I understand it, you need to decrypt the card using the same phone/OS version (unless you did a non-destructive OS update, in which case it carries through) that was used to encrypt it, then you are free to move the card to a new phone (or a fresh install after a destructive update) and re-encrypt the card. The 'key' to the encrypted card lies within the OS, it isn't tied to your BBID. If you encrypt a card, remove it and place it in another device, it won't work; that's no different than a thief stealing your phone, taking the card out and accessing your files just by turning decryption off.
    bintheredundat and FF22 like this.
    09-05-14 12:58 PM
    And I forgot to mention, I hope this helps and good luck!
    09-05-14 12:58 PM
    Since I'm switching phones I haven't lost anything, I copied everything from the card. The card was encrypted prior to me putting on the leak.
    When you install a leak through an autoloader, the phone is wiped. When this happens, the encrypted card is no longer accessible as the key also gets wiped from the phone. In the future, remember to always decrypt the card before installing an autoloader.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-05-14 01:04 PM
    As I understand it, you need to decrypt the card using the same phone/OS version (unless you did a non-destructive OS update, in which case it carries through) that was used to encrypt it, then you are free to move the card to a new phone (or a fresh install after a destructive update) and re-encrypt the card. The 'key' to the encrypted card lies within the OS, it isn't tied to your BBID. If you encrypt a card, remove it and place it in another device, it won't work; that's no different than a thief stealing your phone, taking the card out and accessing your files just by turning decryption off.
    Boom! What I wanted to say - you just said it better

Posted via CB10
    KDB84 likes this.
    09-05-14 03:08 PM
    EXCEPT, if I read it correctly, the OP was not able to use the DECRYPT option even with the original phone or OS.

I think I prefer to keep NON-very-private stuff on my card and kept the phone password protected. Private stuff in INTERNAL memory. I've read a few too many "I can read/use my card's data" after xyz happened. If someone gets my locked phone with generic videos, pictures and files on the sd-card, so be it.
    09-05-14 03:36 PM