Here is a decent article explaining BlackBerry's four pillar business strategy.

I think that, after reading this, it helps everyone to understand that iPhone and Android handset releases don't necessarily mean as much to the Company as they used to. With handsets being only one of the pillars of the company, the notion that the Passport must somehow beat out the Apple or Samsung offerings is not as valid.

That said, I'm counting down the days I can buy a Passport...

We are seeing the traction growing for us: Blackberry India MD - Business Today
    Q10Bold and currentodysseys like this.
    09-04-14 12:32 PM

I think that, after reading this, it helps everyone to understand that iPhone and Android handset releases don't necessarily mean as much to the Company as they used to. With handsets being only one of the pillars of the company, the notion that the Passport must somehow beat out the Apple or Samsung offerings is not as valid.

That said, I'm counting down the days I can buy a Passport...

We are seeing the traction growing for us: Blackberry India MD - Business Today
    Nice read!

Posted via Q10Bold
    09-04-14 12:47 PM

The thing is: people on CB are fans of BB phones. Despite the talk, most here don't care about BES, or QNX, and even BBM isn't a huge priority for most - they care about the phones. And while the 3 other pillars certainly give BB a future if smartphones are ultimately discontinued, that's not going to do anything for all of the fans of BB smartphones. Once BB stops making phones, BB will completely lose relevance for most people (corporate phone admins and QNX integrators excepted). The fact that the company didn't go bankrupt and continues to live on won't matter to them.

And that's why people here are so anxious about the sales of the Passport. They realize it's do-or-die time for handset sales (along with the Classic and the Z3 LTE/Z20)
    Outrunner likes this.
    09-04-14 02:09 PM
    The thing is: people on CB are fans of BB phones. Despite the talk, most here don't care about BES, or QNX, and even BBM isn't a huge priority for most - they care about the phones. And while the 3 other pillars certainly give BB a future if smartphones are ultimately discontinued, that's not going to do anything for all of the fans of BB smartphones. Once BB stops making phones, BB will completely lose relevance for most people (corporate phone admins and QNX integrators excepted). The fact that the company didn't go bankrupt and continues to live on won't matter to them.

And that's why people here are so anxious about the sales of the Passport. They realize it's do-or-die time for handset sales (along with the Classic and the Z3 LTE/Z20)
    Sounds to me the new direction to focus on enterprise and not consumers wants is starting to be felt...

As a BlackBerry investor i like their new direction, and regardless of how the Samsung or apple launches go, the other three pillars of BlackBerry will be unaffected

With a market share for the consumer space now grouped into the "Other" category, i think it is only logic they stop focusing on that tiny part of the business

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30
    Outrunner likes this.
    09-04-14 02:13 PM
    Sounds to me the new direction to focus on enterprise and not consumers wants is starting to be felt...

As a BlackBerry investor i like their new direction, and regardless of how the Samsung or apple launches go, the other three pillars of BlackBerry will be unaffected

With a market share for the consumer space now grouped into the "Other" category, i think it is only logic they stop focusing on that tiny part of the business

I get what you are are saying, but if I can't get a BlackBerry phone I really don't care about the rest of it. None of that matters to me. I'm not a corporate customer, I don't have internal emails and too secret documents to protect. I just want the smoothest safest phone u can get for my personal use. My own security is important to me. BlackBerry helps me with that. So I care about the 4th pillar.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 02:20 PM
    I imagine that's why there's still this dedicated following of BB phones (and I consider myself part of that following - I carry a Z10 and I'm much more likely to get a Passport not only for my business use, but for personal use as well, than an Apple or Android.) In another interview, John Chen did say that as long as there is a demand for the handsets, they'll keep making them (I'm paraphrasing, not quoting him.)

I get what you are are saying, but if I can't get a BlackBerry phone I really don't care about the rest of it. None of that matters to me. I'm not a corporate customer, I don't have internal emails and too secret documents to protect. I just want the smoothest safest phone u can get for my personal use. My own security is important to me. BlackBerry helps me with that. So I care about the 4th pillar.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 02:26 PM

This!

"Dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    09-04-14 02:27 PM
    Well said by everyone. People have to realize there is no fight with Apple and Google. That ended. BlackBerry is moving in a new direction that not everyone will like.

Sent from my N5
    09-04-14 03:55 PM
    Who cares about the fans? Remember the time when all the Blackberry fans were crazy about the BB10 launch? Together they were contributing close to nothing to BBRY success.

BBRY only have fiduciary duty to the shareholders and I as a shareholder like their new direction.
    09-04-14 05:05 PM
    Who cares about the fans? Remember the time when all the Blackberry fans were crazy about the BB10 launch? Together they were contributing close to nothing to BBRY success.

BBRY only have fiduciary duty to the shareholders and I as a shareholder like their new direction.
    Yes, this ^^^^

Chen seems to be a realist and is working for the shareholders, not the fans of the brand

Get the business healthy, than you can satisfy the fans

I don't think anyone realizes we almost had a world without BlackBerry.... period.... I don't mind them taking a break from satisfying my consumer wants vs. their business needs and i think others need to get the same attitude

09-06-14 02:58 PM
    Both of the above posts are spot on in my opinion.

Q10, N5, N10.
    09-06-14 03:02 PM