I've used iPhones for years; finally got tired of iOS and switched to BlackBerry. I'm using a Z10 right now (getting the keypad replaced on my Q10), looking forward to November when the Classic comes out. Anyway, I know that you can swipe up from the bottom to minimize an app, but I think it could be useful if there were a gesture you could use to quit an app. Like the phone app, for example. That doesn't need to be minimized since there is a button for it. I think that would be great for apps that you want to run once and then quit. Just a thought ...
    09-04-14 08:36 AM
    So swipe and tap is too much? I don't see it as a problem
    09-04-14 08:46 AM
    Here we go again!

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    09-04-14 09:58 AM
    What do you mean by that?

Here we go again!

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    09-04-14 12:56 PM
    Well, I catch myself swiping up apps to close them on the homescreen sometimes. The PlayBook gesture would still work if they made it similar to multitasking on iOS 7 - i.e. swiping it up only as fast as you move your finger and being able to swipe it back down (keep it open) halfway through.
    Last edited by Ealaionta; 09-04-14 at 02:23 PM.
    09-04-14 02:12 PM
    What do you mean by that?
    Discussed and shewed in the past. Enflaming some thread... Check out the forum...
    Swipe up, reduces the App in its active frame, keeping it open. If no more needed, you click on "X" to close it. As simple as theat.
    Every OS has its gestures. You'll get used to this, for sure!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    09-04-14 02:28 PM
    Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't trying to start trouble; and like I said above, I prefer BlackBerry 10 to iOS7. I think it's ridiculous that you have to double click the home button and then swipe up to close an app. And before iOS7 it was even worse! The only reason I suggested it is because my eyes aren't what they used to be, and that tiny "X" in the lower right hand corner is a small target to hit; especially if I'm driving. I wasn't complaining, merely making a suggestion.

Discussed and shewed in the past. Enflaming some thread... Check out the forum...
    Swipe up, reduces the App in its active frame, keeping it open. If no more needed, you click on "X" to close it. As simple as theat.
    Every OS has its gestures. You'll get used to this, for sure!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    09-04-14 02:42 PM
    Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't trying to start trouble; and like I said above, I prefer BlackBerry 10 to iOS7. I think it's ridiculous that you have to double click the home button and then swipe up to close an app. And before iOS7 it was even worse! The only reason I suggested it is because my eyes aren't what they used to be, and that tiny "X" in the lower right hand corner is a small target to hit; especially if I'm driving. I wasn't complaining, merely making a suggestion.
    You don't have to hit the X the target is quite large.

Using your phone while driving? Is that legal anywhere now?

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 04:02 PM
    The X is small, once you move the app up, it minimizes. I have the same issue. This doesn't have to cause inflammatory remarks or responses. Some people have a different way of using their phone. Can't we all get along?

I think it would be practical to have a gesture (maybe swipe all the way up, or up and right). Just a thought, maybe a double tap at the minimized app to close it, a single tap to bring it back/maximize it.
    mslifkin likes this.
    09-18-14 08:24 PM
    Shouldn't be using your phone while driving. Could cost someone's life. Just saying.

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    howards likes this.
    09-18-14 08:54 PM
    I've been driving for a very long time, and while I've had an accident or two it was never due to using a phone while driving. I've got a bracket on my dashboard that holds my phone. The phone connects to my car stereo via bluetooth, so if I do talk on the phone it's hands free. If I receive a text I have the phone read it to me. If I want to send a reply I dictate it hands free. If I'm stopped at a light and I want to; I don't know, check the weather or something, I just want to get in and get out and not have the app still running minimized ... that's what I was asking for. It could be as simple as one finger swipe to minimize, two finger swipe to close. But I guess the Powers that be here at Crackberry decided "nah, we don't need that". I'm just saying'.

Shouldn't be using your phone while driving. Could cost someone's life. Just saying.

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    09-19-14 05:57 AM
    For apps like Phone, I can see how it could skip the active frame step, since there is always a button right on screen. However, I also have use cases where I am switching between the phone and remember, and hitting the phone button at the bottom is alive than tapping the active frame.

That said, many blackberry users keep asking for ways to shave a step off here and there. A single quit gesture saves a step, and is in the spiritoif "getting things done". The idea is food, I just don't personally know how it would actually work.

Posted via CB10
    mslifkin likes this.
    09-19-14 07:35 AM
    I've been driving for a very long time, and while I've had an accident or two it was never due to using a phone while driving. I've got a bracket on my dashboard that holds my phone. The phone connects to my car stereo via bluetooth, so if I do talk on the phone it's hands free. If I receive a text I have the phone read it to me. If I want to send a reply I dictate it hands free. If I'm stopped at a light and I want to; I don't know, check the weather or something, I just want to get in and get out and not have the app still running minimized ... that's what I was asking for. It could be as simple as one finger swipe to minimize, two finger swipe to close. But I guess the Powers that be here at Crackberry decided "nah, we don't need that". I'm just saying'.
    Two finger swipe up brings up the keyboard, two finger swipe down will (in 10.3) bring up the quick settings menu.
    09-19-14 08:03 AM
    It never ceases to amaze me - the things that bother people.
    09-19-14 08:06 AM
    That doesn't make it safe or legal.
    You can say the same thing for drinking. 'I've never crashed while drunk so what's the big deal?' 'why should I have to chug the entire beer at the red, I only want half' etc.

Please pm me you personal info so I can report you to the authorities.
    09-19-14 10:36 AM
    I don't have any trouble with the way you close an app.personally, but the bottom-right x *does* present a relatively small target.

On the Q10 at least I'd like to see the backspace key close the app. that's just been minimised - it's not used for anything else in that context AFAICS.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 11:16 AM
    Also for ages I missed being able to flip back from the current app to the one I was just in - opening a web page from twitter for instance and wanting to flip back when I was done.

The back key on Android does this (albeit a bit unpredictably).

It sounds stupid, but it was weeks before I realised it was just a case of a swipe up and tap whatever's in the top right slot.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 11:20 AM
    What if you swipe from bottom all the way to top too exit and close?

That would be cool.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 06:50 PM
    Look, I don't text while driving, I certainly don't drink while driving. If I'm stopped at a light and I want to change the song that's playing on my phone I don't see that as my being an unsafe motorist. My phone is at eye level, not down in my lap. I've heard too many horror stories and I'm very well aware of what could happen.
    That doesn't make it safe or legal.
    You can say the same thing for drinking. 'I've never crashed while drunk so what's the big deal?' 'why should I have to chug the entire beer at the red, I only want half' etc.

Please pm me you personal info so I can report you to the authorities.
    09-19-14 08:53 PM
    @mithrazor mmm yes that would work nicely - it's faster than two gestures but slightly too awkward to be done accidentally

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 02:14 AM
    Valid question
    I too think the "area" is hard to hit sometimes. Why not make it a larger, but yer not too obtrusive coloured (red) x, it is not like the active frame real estate is relevant?
    09-20-14 04:24 AM
    @maarten

Hard to test with big fingers, but on a quick test, it does seem as if the actual active area to hit the x is almost identical to the visible area - I thought it may have been larger and hadn't realised, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

WRT your idea, I cant see any reason why the x shouldn't take up around 1/4 of the size of the frame (maybe a bit smaller) but with some transparency to allow any active info to show through - or maybe a larger but triangular corner.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 07:31 AM
    Geniuses think alike. Thnx )
    09-21-14 03:20 PM
    I too sometimes wish the X was bigger & often want to close an app not just minimize it. My suggestion is a simple, "Up, Down, Up" gesture. It would kinda work like a double minimize & be easy for people to do & remember without accidentally doing it when not trying to.

Posted via CB10
    ahpitre likes this.
    09-22-14 08:58 AM
    Well since swipe up and right from app is reserved for Hub, maybe swiping up and left could close the app.
    Posted via CB10
    ahpitre likes this.
    09-22-14 09:18 AM
26 12