People always talk about privacy and security and how BlackBerry is the best at that. So it makes me wonder -- exactly how many of you guys use that encryption feature?

I would think that just because you have a BlackBerry, it doesn't mean you are automatically protected. You'd be to enable encryption for full privacy.

The thing about enabling this is, if my phone ever decides to crap out, all the contents in my media card will become inaccessible.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 07:31 PM
    People always talk about privacy and security and how BlackBerry is the best at that. So it makes me wonder -- exactly how many of you guys use that encryption feature?

I would think that just because you have a BlackBerry, it doesn't mean you are automatically protected. You'd be to enable encryption for full privacy.

The thing about enabling this is, if my phone ever decides to crap out, all the contents in my media card will become inaccessible.

Posted via CB10
    You are 100% correct that you could lose your SD card contents if your phone gets reset because the key used to encrypt the card is stored in the OS. That is a risk and you need to take steps to mitigate that risk such as routinely backing up/syncing data in the card.

To answer your other question I encrypt my phone and SD card because my work requires it to store any corporate data on my phone. I would encrypt it even if they didn't though because I don't want people getting their hands on my data if I lose my phone.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3337
    09-01-14 08:27 PM
    I do. But I don't encrypt the SD, what's the use of 256bit protected music?

I encrypt the internal memory. That's where my apps are, that's where my app data is, that's where my emails are, that's where my contacts are, my appointments, my notes, and logins.

So, are we safer just by chosing BlackBerry? Yes. Yes, we are. There are no viruses for BlackBerry (same can't be said about other platforms). There are also no hacks specific for the platform (10 or legacy). Every now and then some technology that we use (WiFi, BlueTooth, Flash) will get exploited, but BlackBerry is usually quick to patch the issue.

There is also a bit I don't really understand about the software on BB10 doing what the hardware on BBOS used to do when it comes to security. But I can't and won't go into that.

I'm not saying we're the paramount of security services, but it is a platform built with security in mind, while the others aren't.

To answer your other question I encrypt my phone and SD card because my work requires it to store any corporate data on my phone. I would encrypt it even if they didn't though because I don't want people getting their hands on my data if I lose my phone.
    Naa, I share the love... They can have my wallpapers and 30GB of music!
    09-01-14 08:54 PM
    I encrypt my SD card in case I lose my phone. In order to be safe, I regularly use winmerge, which is free, to sync all my documents and other files while the phone is connected to a PC via USB.
    The last time I had to wipe my phone I list only 4 photos and a video which was nothing compared to what was saved.

Posted via CB10 | STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return.
    09-03-14 08:19 AM
    I encrypt the phone, not the sd. I've only my nude photographs on it...

Posted via CB10
    red72 likes this.
    09-03-14 09:22 AM
    I encrypt my SD card in case I lose my phone. In order to be safe, I regularly use winmerge, which is free, to sync all my documents and other files while the phone is connected to a PC via USB.
    The last time I had to wipe my phone I list only 4 photos and a video which was nothing compared to what was saved.

If your sd card is encrypted, then you sync your files to the pc, would it decrypt it first before copying it over?

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 10:26 AM
    Yes

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 11:21 AM
    I encrypt the whole smash

Thumb-flicked from my Z30 via CB10
    09-03-14 11:29 AM
    So if it's not encrypted, then privacy on this phone would really not be that much of a difference between other platforms?

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 01:35 PM
    I only keep media on my media card. Music, pictures, videos, etc. So I don't bother to encrypt it. I lead a pretty vanilla life so if anybody wants to see the contents of my media card, have at it.
    09-03-14 01:40 PM
    So if it's not encrypted, then privacy on this phone would really not be that much of a difference between other platforms?

Posted via CB10
    No. The only point of encrypting the data on the phone is to protect it if the phone is lost, stolen, etc.

Day to day privacy comes from keeping malicious code out of your device, and only allowing applications you authorize access your data.
    09-03-14 02:01 PM
    I only encrypt phone not SD card. All important data is on my phone.
    But I have 1 folder on my SD card which holds encrypted backups of my PI & somewhat more private pictures (not nudies though (^O^). I use an app to password protect & hide the folder from spying eyes.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 09:11 PM
    I encrypt the phone, not the sd. I've only my nude photographs on it...

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the info...they will make darn sure to pass on your phone when they go collecting...

CrackBerry Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.1130/1154 bars
    w_scott likes this.
    09-04-14 04:56 AM
    I encrypted both.. but I have the same story with my SD, music only.. buy hey its an easy fix so why not. I back up at least every week so I don't really worry

Posted via CB10 for my beloved Z30 running 10.2.2.1531
    09-04-14 05:15 AM
    But if you store it in a pc, then it becomes vulnerable.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 05:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    Then tell your BlackBerry not to store them there. If you remove the SD card, the next time you put it in and open the camera app, it will ask you where you want pics saved (there may be a setting for that aloso, lol).

I don't take pics of anything I have to worry about so I don't see the point of encrypting the SD. If I take a picture of friends, it gets backed up on BOX (which sounds safe on paper with end-to-emd encryption and has two way auth enabled) and soon deleted from the device.
    09-04-14 10:06 AM
    I encrypt the device but not the media card. Nothing but music and pics there.

I use a VPN.

I make use of the "Parental Controls" to lock and unlock functions.
    When on it keeps apps from being installed or uninstalled. Doesn't allow changes or deletion of accounts. Cannot purchase items.

When you see the little blue padlock parental controls are active. No padlock no controls being active. (images below)
    Self made wallpapers.

I have apps to secure sent emails etc. As well.
    I don't use BlackBerry Protect as it has its own security issues.
    No Link etc..
    Backups and email via my own servers.
    No cloud for me.

I feel fairly secure.
    BlackBerry security encryption-img_20140904_102551.png

BlackBerry security encryption-img_20140904_102642.png

Posted via Verizon Z10!
    diegonei, FCSC and flyingsolid like this.
    09-04-14 10:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not if the pc is not on the Internet and locked down and the data is encrypted.

Posted via Verizon Z10!
    09-04-14 10:39 AM
    I bring this because of Jennifer Lawrence lol.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 12:25 PM
    I bring this because of Jennifer Lawrence lol.

Posted via CB10
    <sarcasm> Oh relly? What happened to her? </sarcasm> Yes pal, that's been the topic of the week!

Well I guess you got enough tips here to make sure you're doing your part to keep your data safe.

Inside BlackBerry has a few tips to help too: Don’t Get Hacked: 5 Concrete Steps for Better Mobile Security

I had forgotten about two step authentication, since they were too painsome to implement when they first came out, but it's fairly simple now and InsideBB pointed me on that way, so now all my stuff yet one more layer secure.

When on it keeps apps from being installed or uninstalled. Doesn't allow changes or deletion of accounts. Cannot purchase items.

When you see the little blue padlock parental controls are active. No padlock no controls being active. (images below)
    Self made wallpapers.
    Ok Tim, +10 points for you. This is actually interesting, helpful and something that people should take as a best practice.

And I thought you were just the resident "I'm never happy" guy. So glad you proved me wrong! (Do notice: no sarcasm tags).

Now, excuse me, I'm off to implement Tim's ingenious idea. I guess it could very well be the one last thing I needed.
    TheScionicMan and Dewwey like this.
    09-04-14 12:39 PM
    Good lord, dude, it's almost like I have my own BlackBerry Balance! How did you think of this?!

EDIT: Can't seem to keep my wallpaper, but it's a small price to pay, I guess.
    Last edited by diegonei; 09-09-14 at 08:48 AM.
    09-04-14 12:49 PM
    If your sd card is encrypted, then you sync your files to the pc, would it decrypt it first before copying it over?

Posted via CB10
    Automatically by BlackBerry Link.

09-04-14 01:49 PM
    Just SD card encryption. I'm stupid for keeping banking and such info on the SD card.
    09-04-14 02:05 PM
    Good lord, dude, it's almost like I have my own BlackBerry Balance! Who did you think of this?!

EDIT: Can't seem to keep my wallpaper, but it's a small price to pay, I guess.
    You can pick a wallpaper for each mode, while in each mode.

Posted via Verizon Z10!
    09-04-14 02:46 PM
    Just SD card encryption. I'm stupid for keeping banking and such info on the SD card.
    So if your phone craps out, you can't just plug your SD card to a computer. It won't recognize it.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 03:34 PM
56 123