Hey all, I'm getting ready to to install OS 10.3.0.1052 and I read somewhere that it would be best not to do a backup and restore, but if you do you should at least omit the "settings" portion of the backup. My main question is if I do not backup and restore the "settings" portion what can i expect to lose? What kind of information does "settings" backup? Also, If I decide not to backup and restore the apps and contacts portions using blackberry link, is there any other way to backup or restore either of them so it doesn't transfer anything that can harm the productivity of my z10? Thanks in advance for any of these questions you may be able to help me with.
    09-01-14 12:27 PM
    Its such a big jump in os i would suggest setting it up like new, you could back up your contacts, but i wouldnt do settings as your coming from a completely new os, I use back up pro from BBW , you can back up stuff to the cloud or your sd card,
    FireChestApps likes this.
    09-01-14 12:48 PM
    Thanks...i assume I will lose all my calendar notifications.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 03:00 PM
    Yes unless you use the app I suggested.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 06:46 PM
    "Backup Pro" might be what you are looking for. Great if Link has issues or you want to make a clean start.

Check out the app feedback for "Backup Pro" in BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 08:35 PM
    Thanks guys for your input....greatly appreciated!

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 10:36 PM
    I can vouch for backup pro, I use it and it works great!

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 10:47 PM
    "Backup Pro" might be what you are looking for. Great if Link has issues or you want to make a clean start.

Check out the app feedback for "Backup Pro" in BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    I used Back Up pro today just for this purpose, works wonders. However, I would pay $20 for this app if it could have backed up my browser bookmarks.

I know, I know... should have been using Bookmark Pro to manage my bookmarks,... but I wasn't.

Come on BlackBerry, if we can export encrypted Password Keeper, why not something as benign as Browser bookmarks?!

Posted via CB10
    FireChestApps likes this.
    09-01-14 10:53 PM
    I have always used BlackBerry Link to do a full backup and restore before installing the latest leak. So far the only issue I had was losing my BBM chats.
    I have just upgraded to 10.3.0 1130 and used the latest version of link.
    Everything restored perfectly except the chats again. So the day after the upgrade and restore I went into link, used the advanced options to drill down to restore just BBM. After the reboot all my chats were back.

Zed10 + 4500mAh Fat Battery + Tempered Glass Screen Protector + 10.3.0.xxxx = Awesome! Everything you need to get 48 hours of battery life. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post8588314
    09-02-14 05:57 AM
    I have always used BlackBerry Link to do a full backup and restore before installing the latest leak. So far the only issue I had was losing my BBM chats.
    I have just upgraded to 10.3.0 1130 and used the latest version of link.
    Everything restored perfectly except the chats again. So the day after the upgrade and restore I went into link, used the advanced options to drill down to restore just BBM. After the reboot all my chats were back.

Zed10 + 4500mAh Fat Battery + Tempered Glass Screen Protector + 10.3.0.xxxx = Awesome! Everything you need to get 48 hours of battery life. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post8588314
    I found that if u setup your bbid before restore, it brings your chats back. I did it when I used last autoloader, maybe just silly luck.

Not to mention I converted my 10.2.1 backup to 10.3 using Darcys Tool before restoring.

Posted via my AzzazzinBerry (STL100-3/10.3.0.1130)
    09-02-14 06:38 AM
    I found that if u setup your bbid before restore, it brings your chats back. I did it when I used last autoloader, maybe just silly luck.

Not to mention I converted my 10.2.1 backup to 10.3 using Darcys Tool before restoring.

I had set up my BBID before I tried the BBM restore. However I didn't convert the backup version. Another thing that may have affected the result is that, in between the time I signed in to my BBID and the time I tried the BBM restore, I had received a few "new" BBM chats. I wonder if that may have caused some conflicts.

On another note, any one know which part of the backup contains Browser Bookmarks? I'd love to restore those too.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 10:51 AM
    I had set up my BBID before I tried the BBM restore. However I didn't convert the backup version. Another thing that may have affected the result is that, in between the time I signed in to my BBID and the time I tried the BBM restore, I had received a few "new" BBM chats. I wonder if that may have caused some conflicts.

On another note, any one know which part of the backup contains Browser Bookmarks? I'd love to restore those too.

Posted via CB10
    Afaik it's in your App Data, but I could be mistaken

09-02-14 11:11 AM
    Yes, i used it also. I restored perfectly everything wighout contacts .
    09-02-14 11:17 AM
    I did a fresh 10.3 OS install and successfully restored Settings (Link->Custom Restore) from my 10.2 backup on my Z10 STL100-3. All the text messages restored successfully and restoring settings didn't cause any issues for me.
    10-01-14 07:54 AM
    Regarding restoring individual BBM chat history, you need to set up BBM and turn on save chat history.

1. Using the up-to-date Link, take a backup of the BBM App data (Custom Backup -> App Data -> BBM)

2. After reloading OS / installing a new OS / security wipe, and BEFORE restoring from backup:
    2.1. Sign in and set up BBM
    2.2. YOU HAVE TO OPEN APP WORLD AND UPDATE BBM ON THE NEW DEVICE BEFORE RESTORING (Thanks to nah.uhh)
    2.3. In BBM settings, turn on 'Save Chat History' (This is a key step)

3. Using Link, restore just the BBM App Data from the backup file
    4. After device restart, your BBM chat history will be there (both individual chats and group chats)

Note: this will replace any chats you got just after the BBM set up and before the restore.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ehsanp; 12-09-14 at 07:33 PM. Reason: important: UPDATE BBM before restore
    10-01-14 08:00 AM
    When I loaded up 1052, I did restore - apps and settings. The only thing I didn't backup and restore was media (did that manually - copied everything from the phone to my PC through the Windows file manager).

I had no problems after the restore.

My app grid layout was a bit off - but that's because it was restoring a four row layout to an OS that can now do five rows on my Z10.

What I always do before backing up is delete all my accounts that I can re-sign into later, like my email - both my personal ISP IMAP, and work Exchange which has my calendar and contacts.

I have only a few apps that must be sideloaded every time (they don't get backed up), but that's not a big deal. I keep the bar files on the SD card and use the Chrome plug-in on my PC to reinstall.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 09:08 AM
    Just tried myself and updated my post above to add a missing important step: Update the BBM app from BlackBerry World before restore!
    Please confirm if it works for you too.
    12-09-14 07:43 PM
    RESTORING A BBM GROUP: I lost a key Group with my wife's Z10 (Grocery List With over a 100 items) after having to do a Device wipe because of a corrupted operating system. I had to install new OS. I tried to re-invite to the Group from my wife's phone and her device would not allow it because I was a l ready a member of the group. So I tried to add the group from her phone by scanning her group bar code and it worked beautifully. BlackBerry technical help told me to delete the group from her device and manually restore. I'm glad I avoided all this needless work.
    02-14-15 06:04 PM