With the devices as diverse as the BlackBerry Passport, Classic, 9720, Q5 why don't BlackBerry write versions of BlackBerry link for os 10 so it would be possible to backup a Z10 to a Passport and vice versa - recover over wifi or backup a phone to its own SD card, recover from backup on sd?
    08-30-14 02:43 PM
    Huh? BlackBerry link has been update for OS 10 for sometime now. Go to blackberry.com and look for downloads.
    08-30-14 02:57 PM
    Huh? BlackBerry link has been update for OS 10 for sometime now. Go to blackberry.com and look for downloads.
    I'm pretty sure he means a version that runs on OS10, on the phone itself. I would like to see this added back into BlackBerry Protect, a back up feature and some other options.

Posted via CB10
    Minhaaj Rehman likes this.
    08-30-14 03:37 PM
    Yeah, a fully functioning BB Protect would be excellent.
    08-30-14 04:06 PM
    Yes exactly. However wonderful os10 is, it can never be considered a fully functional os until, os10 can back up os10. Relying on windows or apple to back up is settling for being 2nd/3rd best.
    08-30-14 04:34 PM
    Yes exactly. However wonderful os10 is, it can never be considered a fully functional os until, os10 can back up os10. Relying on windows or apple to back up is settling for being 2nd/3rd best.
    Where would you store this back-up?

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 06:13 PM
    mSD card, Dropbox, Box, OneDrive could all be options.

Elessar.cm | Moderator
    08-30-14 06:20 PM
    mSD card, Dropbox, Box, OneDrive could all be options.

Elessar.cm | Moderator
    My point was going to be, a desktop is a pretty useful place to store back-ups. Backing up through the desktop is the most useful method, not the 2nd/3rd best option. It's the cheapest and honestly, the most efficient method I know to date (not every style bearing in mind, just on average)

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 06:23 PM
    My point was going to be, a desktop is a pretty useful place to store back-ups. Backing up through the desktop is the most useful method, not the 2nd/3rd best option. It's the cheapest and honestly, the most efficient method I know to date (not every style bearing in mind, just on average)

Posted via CB10
    Yes, what works best will vary from user to user. I agree that the desktop backup is useful for many, perhaps most users.

Personally, most of my info is synced through the cloud in one way or another -- email, contacts, calendar, notes via Evernote/Remember. A non-castrated version of BB Protect that's able to backup the few things I don't have synced to the cloud would be ideal for me (browser bookmarks, settings, auto text entries, select app data).

Your comment about the desktop reminded me that I should have listed desktop as an option -- sending aBB Protect backup to my desktop via remote file access!
    08-30-14 08:28 PM
    The only problem is BB10 backup files reach 3+ gigs which is much larger than BBOS backup files back in the day. It'd be insane to backup such a huge file over Protect.
    08-30-14 09:42 PM
    The only problem is BB10 backup files reach 3+ gigs which is much larger than BBOS backup files back in the day. It'd be insane to backup such a huge file over Protect.
    That wouldn't be necessary. The OS wouldn't have to be backed up, just user and app-specific data. Similar to the way iOS and Android devices create OTA backups.

Edit: The Legacy Protect didn't backup the OS either, IIRC.
    Minhaaj Rehman likes this.
    08-30-14 09:48 PM
    Why can't we backup to a server or cloud. The old Palm pre phones did this every day. You always had a backup with Palm.

Posted from a Z30. Get one!
    08-30-14 09:51 PM
    God bless you!

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 11:57 PM
    I am almost perceived as being someone with OCD now for saying that web+based syncing is the future. No one wants to be a desktop hugger these days to be able to back up data. That is exactly people use Evernote, Imap and backup apps.

I was so excited about BlackBerry blend until I heard it was just a better version of BlackBerry link with no web based access. Why can't we have a Gmail like portal for BlackBerry protect and have all settings, communications, back ups and ability to use it as an alternative to phone when you are on your computer and it syncs all the time?

With each autoloader or SIC wipe I have to go over and set up the phone again. Especially teaching it new words is heck of a problem all over. It can all be automated with little effort. Strategically it will minimize dependence on windows or macs in long run and make it a cross platform smartphone. How hard is that to do? They already have a portal for BlackBerry protect why not make it a robust one?

Also I find fixing my contact list much easier on desktop because of big screen. Going a mile beyond think of it as an online simulator for your BlackBerry.

I know it sounds futuristic but what direction do you want BlackBerry to move if not up north?

Posted via CB10
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    08-31-14 12:14 AM