08-28-14 11:04 AM
    Was only a matter of time before their numbers became too insignificant to report separately.
    08-28-14 11:09 AM
    Windows numbers are somewhat surprising, since the majority opinion on CB was that BlackBerry would be the third ecosystem.
    08-28-14 11:15 AM
    Look at huge amount of money MS spent in the US on mass media ads and only improved .1% in sales. Their low price strategy helps in some other countries tho.
    lift likes this.
    08-28-14 11:32 AM
    Windows numbers are somewhat surprising, since the majority opinion on CB was that BlackBerry would be the third ecosystem.
    MS had the better strategy.
    Low-end devices to grow marketshare and only native apps (for now).

They realised pretty quickly that pricing midrange devices like an iPhone doesn't work.
    (stark contrast to BlackBerry)

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 12:07 PM
    Is this really a surprise? BlackBerry is rebuilding slowly, there is a reason they are doing a controlled roll out of the BlackBerry Z3, there is a reason why, they have also done a soft offer to corporate for the Passport. They will show numbers soon. Rome was not built in a day, with 10.3. On the horizon it's going to be exciting times ahead.

Posted via CB10
    newcollector and polytan02 like this.
    08-28-14 12:11 PM
    MS had the better strategy.
    Low-end devices to grow marketshare and only native apps (for now).

They realised pretty quickly that pricing midrange devices like an iPhone doesn't work.
    (stark contrast to BlackBerry)

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry does not appeal to a younger demographics. And yes that's below 20 even though I'm closer to 40. Windows Phone does that and they appeal to an older demographics as well on a budget. Kind of same same in a way. I believe that even with the numbers you can't blame it entirely on team BlackBerry they probably never went for that demographic in the first place. They made a meager attempt with the Q5 though. The obligation to sell Iphone for instance smells corruption / monopoly from carriers.
    08-28-14 12:16 PM
    Is this really a surprise? BlackBerry is rebuilding slowly, there is a reason they are doing a controlled roll out of the BlackBerry Z3, there is a reason why, they have also done a soft offer to corporate for the Passport. They will show numbers soon. Rome was not built in a day, with 10.3. On the horizon it's going to be exciting times ahead.

Posted via CB10
    I am totally with you on this one. What is a surprise is that Windows phones only grew the little they did with all the heavy hype. If you look at worldwide stats, BlackBerry does better than MS.
    08-28-14 12:17 PM
    BlackBerry does not appeal to a younger demographics. And yes that's below 20 even though I'm closer to 40. Windows Phone does that and they appeal to an older demographics as well on a budget. Kind of same same in a way. I believe that even with the numbers you can't blame it entirely on team BlackBerry they probably never went for that demographic in the first place. They made a meager attempt with the Q5 though. The obligation to sell Iphone for instance smells corruption / monopoly from carriers.
    But the thing is, that BlackBerry's situation is exactly like this, because they didn't understand where the market is heading.

The so called business niche is pretty much disappearing (together with the keyboard, but this one basically disappeared already) as consumers and business professionals alike, want one phone that is capable of being both.

And BlackBerry just doesn't deliver on that front.
    They still did partially under BBOS, where the ecosystem wasn't that far behind (because the competition didn't have that much of an ecosystem either), but forget it under BB10.

BB10 devices at launch, were unjustifiably overpriced, while they underdelivered at the same time.
    They still have no ecosystem, no real entry level phone (200$ is still too much for that segment of the market), no high-end phone and no other products with halo-effects like MS.

If we aren't blaming BlackBerry for a poor strategy...
    Whom shall we blame?
    The mass media conspiracy? Maybe the NSA? What about CB?

What iPhone selling obligation?
    The users want iPhones, so the carriers give them iPhones....

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 12:23 PM
    Bb dropped from 2% in June to 1.6% in July for the US
    08-28-14 12:23 PM
    Whatever happens I'll would gladly go down along with the ship.

I hope the ship stay afloat and move ahead.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 12:29 PM
    I am totally with you on this one. What is a surprise is that Windows phones only grew the little they did with all the heavy hype. If you look at worldwide stats, BlackBerry does better than MS.
    Whilst MS has the Luxury of Huge resources ,BlackBerry doesn't, their approach is controlled and if the market does not respond (consumer side) they would not have lost the house. this is a pretty smart move by them. The market growth by MS of only one percent even after pouring huge resources is testament to this.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 12:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like after the fact justifications to me. What strategy is in place for a slow roll out for the Z3. It doesn't capture the momentum it had after the May Z3 Indonesia launch. Additional country launches now are basically crickets. At this rate Chen is going to have put off his 10M a year target to end of 2016.
    08-28-14 12:34 PM
    This is so depressing. After many months of trying to decide between an iphone or a blackberry I decided it's best to just carry both around. One for work/communication and the other for apps/music player. And BlackBerry now is the only remaining company making good qwerty devices. I'm going to be buying unlocked blackberries more in the future it seems...we are a disappearing
    fanbase.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 01:37 PM
    Wait till 10.3 rolls out, the Amazon BlackBerry deal comes to fruition and Blend is released. Blend I believe is going to change the face of BlackBerry along with reducing the ecosystem gap. Look personally, I just want my z30 with me and all else left behind. I carry 80 gig of storage. All my photos, vids, documents are with me where ever I go. Blend will allow me to use any tablet or computer as a peripheral means to work directly off my phone. Then I simply get up and walk away with my z30. Yes I will abuse many a computer, ipad, tablet over the next years via my z30 and BlackBerry Blend. This is the future!

Posted via CB10
    hannes89 likes this.
    08-28-14 02:01 PM
    The only numbers that matter are those coming out of BlackBerry HQ. Everything else is market manipulation. BlackBerry will prevail!

Posted with X10 via CB10
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    08-28-14 02:18 PM
    Sounds like after the fact justifications to me. What strategy is in place for a slow roll out for the Z3. It doesn't capture the momentum it had after the May Z3 Indonesia launch. Additional country launches now are basically crickets. At this rate Chen is going to have put off his 10M a year target to end of 2016.
    It is much better than manufacturing tons of devices and allowing them to sit in a warehouse, remember that was the route taken previously, this way a "testing " of the market will determine volume, this is whilst the Amazon App Store is "baked " into the devices, Blend, 10.3 is readied. Its a plan that involves not betting the house on handsets for the consumer market it's playing it safe, maybe after the fact to you but business wise it is 'WISE".

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 02:24 PM
    The only numbers that matter are those coming out of BlackBerry HQ.
    Where are those numbers?
    You have access to the Chen email?
    shaleem and tanzarian like this.
    08-28-14 02:32 PM
    It is much better than manufacturing tons of devices and allowing them to sit in a warehouse, remember that was the route taken previously, this way a "testing " of the market will determine volume, this is whilst the Amazon App Store is "baked " into the devices, Blend, 10.3 is readied. Its a plan that involves not betting the house on handsets for the consumer market it's playing it safe, maybe after the fact to you but business wise it is 'WISE".
    Agreed. BB is playing it smart this time, given the situation they are in. Not that they really have a choice - I'm sure Foxconn is setting the Z3 schedule since they are the ones holding the bag for inventory and distribution. But when you are making a niche product, you have to do so at a niche pace, or you will end up losing money, which is something BB can no longer afford to do.

Of course a big global launch is ideal, and that's exactly what happened with the BB10 launch (except for the US), but that cost a ton of money and was ultimately unsuccessful, but even Kevin stated well before the launch that it was going to be BB's one and only chance to get a big global launch right, because they only had the money to do it once. And that's proven to be the truth.

BB's targeting of consumers is very limited, and is being done in former strongholds in the developing market only. If you're waiting for big media buys and TV commercials, you'd better settle in and order some pizza or something, because it's going to be a LONG wait.
    08-28-14 02:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    The alternative isn't a Z10 style launch but a launch with all the emerging markets thus far within a month and include SA and Nigeria perhaps UK. Shouldn't take more than 500k units to start and even worst case scenario they can't sell that many in 6 months then just get out of the handset market its an anchor around the neck.
    08-28-14 02:49 PM
    This adjustment was inevitable; but, at least there won't be any scrutiny over low BB10 sales by the media.

BlackBerry does not appeal to a younger demographics. And yes that's below 20 even though I'm closer to 40. Windows Phone does that and they appeal to an older demographics as well on a budget. Kind of same same in a way.
    I think this is untrue. Blackberry Curve was popularized by appealing to consumers on the budget. Blackberry could have appealed to the low cost consumer but it gave up on the demographic.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 08-28-14 at 04:00 PM.
    08-28-14 03:25 PM
    The excuses are getting old.

Sent from my N5
    08-28-14 03:46 PM
    When? 1.5 years ago?

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 03:59 PM
    Awesome news, now I'm even more exclusive!

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 04:00 PM
    Awesome news, now I'm even more exclusive!

Posted via CB10
    It's not about you, it's about Blackberry.

Proudly using a Blackberry Q10!
    08-28-14 04:22 PM
111 123 ...