08-28-14 05:50 AM
    Love this article. Thanks for sharing.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 01:13 PM
    Yes, times are a changing and BlackBerry is well positioned to take advantage of the next great advancement of mobile technology. One thing the writer is correct about. Traditional Linux coding just isn't going to cut it.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 08:36 PM
    Blackberry has made some smart acquisitions with limited resources lately for sure. But the other guys have already made many consumer-facing moves in this space that make me wonder if blackberry isn't already behind here.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-29-14 06:34 AM
    IoT?

Not a problem, but as described in the article, I wouldn't want my toaster to go haywire or my shop-connected fridge to order 1000,000 litres of milk from Coles or IGA via home delivery...

Thanks for sharing.

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 08-29-14 at 07:22 PM.
    08-29-14 06:29 PM
    I'm just tired of all the "talk".

BB this, and BB that, and "connected things", and "internet of things"

Lets skip the talk and see some tangible and credible new ideas and results where the world sit-up and takes notice.

Enough with the talk, wishes and dreams.
    08-29-14 09:14 PM
    I'm just tired of all the "talk".

BB this, and BB that, and "connected things", and "internet of things"

Lets skip the talk and see some tangible and credible new ideas and results where the world sit-up and takes notice.

Enough with the talk, wishes and dreams.
    You mean how they are already connecting cars and phones? It's already happening, dude. It's Apple and Google that do all the talking and bring sweet bugger all to the table.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 07:03 AM
    You mean how they are already connecting cars and phones? It's already happening, dude. It's Apple and Google that do all the talking and bring sweet bugger all to the table.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure about that.
    08-31-14 01:36 AM
    With all the talk around how IOT coud be a large opportunity for BlackBerry, I still don't understand how they're going to monetise it. I haven't really seen that aspect discussed much at all. Judging from how little money they're making off QNX right now despite being the leader in software in the automotive industry, it just has me a bit concerned. I'd like to know what the plan is.

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10! ?
    techvisor likes this.
    09-01-14 08:00 AM

Posted via CB10
    Sure because CarPlay and Google equivalent are getting no news in the media while BlackBerry's Porsche and Bentley are everywhere! Seriously BlackBerry phones have less features with QNX infotainment systems in cars than Apple and Google. Thank goodness for QNET and all the other vaporware we were told about with QNX almost 4 years ago. Other than some ridiculous concept cars it has gone nowhere!

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    techvisor and mikeo007 like this.
    09-01-14 08:37 PM
    Sure because CarPlay and Google equivalent are getting no news in the media while BlackBerry's Porsche and Bentley are everywhere! Seriously BlackBerry phones have less features with QNX infotainment systems in cars than Apple and Google. Thank goodness for QNET and all the other vaporware we were told about with QNX almost 4 years ago. Other than some ridiculous concept cars it has gone nowhere!

Precisely. I can get an aftermarket Pioneer deck with CarPlay right now. Sonos and Hue have had apps on iOS and and Android for years.

What's BlackBerry got?

09-01-14 08:48 PM
    Precisely. I can get an aftermarket Pioneer deck with CarPlay right now. Sonos and Hue have had apps on iOS and and Android for years.

What's BlackBerry got?

I have an AppRadio working with my Z10, somewhat with Android apps. Glitchy, but better than not working at all. The iPhone appears to have the best support currently in the car stereo market. Hoping Mirrorlink support will improve if that too ever arrives in BB10 (yet more stuff that is demoed and never shows up).

09-02-14 01:08 PM
    I have an AppRadio working with my Z10, somewhat with Android apps. Glitchy, but better than not working at all. The iPhone appears to have the best support currently in the car stereo market. Hoping Mirrorlink support will improve if that too ever arrives in BB10 (yet more stuff that is demoed and never shows up).

I have never used Mirrorlink with a blackberry device, but in my experience with Google TV, and really anything else that ever used mirror link, it was just Janky.
    09-05-14 12:49 AM
    The best way to deal with the IoT is simple:

do not participate in it. I cringe when I'm reading about connecting cars, lights, toasters and other stuff seriously ? I don't benefit from having this stuff nor my TV connected to the internet the only ones benefiting are the companies because they wan't my usage and personal data so they can sell it.

Yeah it's understandable that some stuff needs to be connected to the internet (PC, tablet, phone) but cars and other stuff ? No way.

If I would be forced to pick security for an IoT device it would be BB but that has more to do with my trust in Secusmart.
    medic22003 likes this.
    09-05-14 04:39 AM
    I think not participating might be, at the very least, seriously inconvenient at some point in the near future though.

09-09-14 06:05 AM
    I think not participating might be, at the very least, seriously inconvenient at some point in the near future though.

Good point could very well happen and I'm absolutely fine with that. I don't need a - let's say - Tassimo app in order to prepare a cup of cofee or open my garage via a phone.

I know companies are hyping this up as the next big thing but personally I'm just not interested. The same goes for cars I don't want them to be connected to anything, my navigation system is enough connection more isn't needed nor wanted.
    09-09-14 03:31 PM