hello guys

I'm a long time android user thinking of getting a Q5. I have always wanted physical keyboard. Been shunning BB for years. but now it seems some have made certain android apps running on BB OS, with new dual core CPUs, fast OS, good battery, and retails for $230 - it seems to be a viable choice.

the apps I most used on my android are TrackID (to detect song title), whatsapp, waze (or google maps with voice navigation), instagram, facebook, netflix.

I guess that's it. All those will run on Q5 ? if it does , it's perfect. And has anyone successfully run Snapseed or VSCO in Q5 ?

Last question : Is there a way to set global http proxy with username/password ? Currently on stock android, I can set HTTP Proxy in wifi, and in there, I CAN'T specify username and password. only when I browse using browser the auth dialog pops up. So you can guess, with Netflix app the auth dialog doesn't popup, so netflix can't connect thru that proxy. that's a problem. It can only be done via another 3rd party app, like Drony. Amusingly, I can set proxy auth in mobile APN setting, which I do not want.

any help will be greatly appreciated.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    08-26-14 04:26 AM
    Good choice! not expensive and elegant phone, with a comfy keyboard

the apps I most used on my android are TrackID (to detect song title), whatsapp, waze (or google maps with voice navigation), instagram, facebook, netflix.
    There's a native SoundHound app for BlackBerry 10 and it does quite well. WhatsApp too! Waze is available in BlackBerry World as an Android port and runs quite well, Instagram works fine or you could get a native 3rd party iGrann which you would like more for it's Hub integration. NetFlix Android app works too, and of course Facebook by BlackBerry which is more simple than the official Facebook apps.
    08-26-14 04:43 AM
    Get the phone and later, thank me all you want

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-26-14 05:25 AM
    can BB Browser playback videos in browser ? (not app)
    sites like youtube & vimeo
    08-26-14 06:02 AM
    Yes. And proxy configuration includes login and password.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 06:10 AM
    hello guys

I'm a long time android user thinking of getting a Q5. I have always wanted physical keyboard. Been shunning BB for years. but now it seems some have made certain android apps running on BB OS, with new dual core CPUs, fast OS, good battery, and retails for $230 - it seems to be a viable choice.

I guess that's it. All those will run on Q5 ? if it does , it's perfect. And has anyone successfully run Snapseed or VSCO in Q5 ?

Last question : Is there a way to set global http proxy with username/password ? Currently on stock android, I can set HTTP Proxy in wifi, and in there, I CAN'T specify username and password. only when I browse using browser the auth dialog pops up. So you can guess, with Netflix app the auth dialog doesn't popup, so netflix can't connect thru that proxy. that's a problem. It can only be done via another 3rd party app, like Drony. Amusingly, I can set proxy auth in mobile APN setting, which I do not want.

any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Why wouldn't you go with a Q10 for around the same price? That's silly. I got my Q10 on amazon for 227 including expedited shipping. I don't know why anyone ever ops for the Q5 when buying a blackberry outright. Just silly in my opinion. But it's your money, do with it what you wish.

Posted via Q10RR
    08-26-14 08:29 AM
    Wait for the Passport or Classic. The Q5 is a nice device, but there are two brand new physical keyboard phones becoming available in the next month or so.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30
    08-26-14 09:59 AM
    From what I know Q5 is what it appears to be. A cheap keyboard phone, that just works. People being fond of physical keyboards loves it if the had the chance to try it out.
    08-26-14 10:03 AM
    I have a Q10 and a Q5 and they are both great just different. The Q5 screen is nicer while the Q10 has the nicer (less durable?) keyboard and more storage. I do use the hdmi fairly regularly so that's the only area the Q5 lacks imo!

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.0.1052
    08-26-14 10:14 AM
    Why wouldn't you go with a Q10 for around the same price? That's silly. I got my Q10 on amazon for 227 including expedited shipping. I don't know why anyone ever ops for the Q5 when buying a blackberry outright. Just silly in my opinion. But it's your money, do with it what you wish.

Posted via Q10RR
    q10 is $90 extra and like many said, nicer screen and keyboard
    08-26-14 12:03 PM
    OP - I have never used the Q5 but from what I've read and those who I know that have them it think it'll be a great fit for you.
    Last edited by Elite1; 08-26-14 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Removed quote of deleted troll post
    raino likes this.
    08-26-14 12:42 PM
    q10 is $90 extra and like many said, nicer screen and keyboard
    He stated that he was looking at a Q5 that was $230. That's $3.00 more expensive than what I bought my Q10 for.

Posted via Q10RR
    08-26-14 01:08 PM
    not every country coraya. its still over $300 here
    08-26-14 05:24 PM
    not every country coraya. its still over $300 here
    Not possible to order from America? Or is that blocked?

Posted via Q10RR
    08-26-14 08:12 PM
    shipping will add $60 and not including customs tax
    08-26-14 08:31 PM
    So you will be paying. $290 including shipping? Plus customs tax ?

Posted via Q10RR
    08-26-14 09:12 PM
    add another 30% for tax
    08-26-14 09:18 PM
    The OP is asking about the Q5 not the Q10. The Q5 seems to fit his price range and has a physical keyboard that he also wants. From what I have read, the Q5 is a great phone and worth a try.
    OP, if you want the Q5 I say go for it. It's a BlackBerry. I know you will be happy with it.
    08-26-14 09:31 PM
    I came directly from Android to a Q5. Best decision ever, I love it. Yes, you can run all those apps.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 09:38 PM
    thanks. I shall. if it weren't for the complains I read about the Q10's keyboard, I'll put Q10 into consideration
    08-26-14 10:13 PM
    I just moved to a Q5 from a Galaxy S3. I had the chance to test the Q10 and Q5 at the same time, and found I liked the Q5 screen better for clarity, viewing angle (no bluish tint) and sunlight visibility. Then there's the keyboard issues that crop up on the 10. Both phones would live in a case and be mostly obscured by my giant ham-fists so design and aesthetic mean little to me. In Canada the Q5 is $148 new and the Q10 new is around $300-400. Used is around $150-300 but used phones are kinda gross, and you may be buying somebody's problems.

I know there's many who would say moving from an S3 to be crazy, but I was going crazy from ridiculous typos and embarrassing auto corrects. All the media powerhouse features have zero value when you need to be tethered to a charger to use them. What's the point in having unlimited data if I can't stream music and video? A small screen yes but on the go it's better than a large screen I dare not turn on. .

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Phailbot; 08-27-14 at 12:25 AM.
    08-27-14 12:03 AM
    I just moved to a Q5 from a Galaxy S3. I had the chance to test the Q10 and Q5 at the same time, and found I liked the Q5 screen better for clarity, viewing angle (no bluish tint) and sunlight visibility. Then there's the keyboard issues that crop up on the 10. Both phones would live in a case and be mostly obscured by my giant ham-fists so design and aesthetic mean little to me. I know there's many who would say moving from an S3 to be crazy, but all the media powerhouse features have zero value when you need to be tethered to a charger to use them. I was going crazy from ridiculous typos and embarrassing auto corrects.

Posted via CB10
    thanks for the help. i like pocket-able phones, and I do really miss real keys.

another question : when typing with Q5, and you want to move the caret position, (let's say from abcdef, I want to to go 'c' to insert something after), can I do that with the keys or I have to use the touchscreen?
    08-27-14 12:15 AM
    If I read you right you would have to use the touch screen. You can try to tap it on the right position but if you miss, a nice selector appears and you can easily drag it to the correct position.
    android user thinking of Q5-img_20140827_051949.png

Posted via CB10
    08-27-14 12:20 AM
    thanks ! that selector is certainly helpful , not having to touch many times to get the right position (like android)
    08-27-14 12:31 AM
    If I read you right you would have to use the touch screen. You can try to tap it on the right position but if you miss, a nice selector appears and you can easily drag it to the correct position.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140827_051949.png 
Views:	378 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	293833

Posted via CB10
    Dragging the selector is a pain. click the left, right, top or bottom side of the selector to move left and right up or down. It's more accurate no dragging necessary. Can't take a screenshot of it but try it out.

Posted via Q10RR
    08-27-14 05:18 AM
31 12