I was at a Starbucks yesterday and decided to try the WiFi feature on my Curve. It automatically connected and identified the connection as "T-Mobile Hotspot." I used the HotSpot WiFi and it worked fine. I was definitely using the WiFi ("UMA") and not the EDGE network while accessing the Internet.

I have the BlackBerry Enterprise Unlimited service plan from T-Mobile, which includes unlimited data and internet use. I did not sign up for the HotSpot optional service and I verified that I am not signed up for it.

My question -- does my BlackBerry plan allow me access to HotSpot locations? In other words, does my current plan include free HotSpot access? I checked my T-Mobile account online today and was not charged for accessing the HotSpot yesterday. Thanks.
    Last edited by URMarc; 11-25-07 at 12:50 PM.
    11-25-07 12:37 PM
    The hotspots @ home plan just gives you free calls over wifi(UMA). If you don't have a hotspots @ home plan then the calls that you make will not be free via UMA/wifi. You will be able to connect to a wifi connection with your 8320 with or without hotspots @ home . Starbucks, home, friends home, Mc Donalds, airport etc etc.....

Sent Via Opera Mini vol.4
    Last edited by CMEC; 11-25-07 at 01:22 PM.
    11-25-07 01:16 PM
    Ok, I was more concerned with Internet usage rather than calls (and saving minutes). So, you are saying that I will be able to use the Internet for free at HotSpot locations (e.g. Starbucks) with my BES unlimited plan, but will not receive unlimited calling (due to my plan, which does not include HotSpot at Home)? Thanks.
    11-25-07 01:25 PM
    Ok, I was more concerned with Internet usage rather than calls (and saving minutes). So, you are saying that I will be able to use the Internet for free at HotSpot locations (e.g. Starbucks) with my BES unlimited plan, but will not receive unlimited calling (due to my plan, which does not include HotSpot at Home)? Thanks.
    Yes that is exactly what I am saying. Enjoy your 8320, wifi is fun!
    11-25-07 02:06 PM
    Thanks, CMEC.
    11-25-07 04:36 PM
    I have T-mobile with unlimited data plan, and everything is free. We do not have to pay extra for anything. Data plan for $19.95 covers everything. All Hotspot whether at home or a facility such as Starbucks are also free.
    11-25-07 05:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD