I read now the Android Runtime is permanent, which means I can't uninstall it. I've just discovered this is the same for the Amazon App Store which I found running without the ability to kill its process: it was running in background and Close button didn't work.

Why do they do this? What if I don't like Android? What if I don't need it?

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 08:31 AM
    You don't have a choice, mine has been great after a couple of days , i just put it in a folder and never use.
    08-23-14 08:35 AM
    I read now the Android Runtime is permanent, which means I can't uninstall it. I've just discovered this is the same for the Amazon App Store which I found running without the ability to kill its process: it was running in background and Close button didn't work.

Why do they do this? What if I don't like Android? What if I don't need it?

Posted via CB10
    1. Open Amazon App Store
    2. Sign in
    3. Close and reopen Amazon App Store
    4. It'll say there's an update available, click update. After that close the Amazon App Store.

Now you can delete it
    geodorn and iCoutinoc like this.
    08-23-14 08:35 AM
    1. Open Amazon App Store
    2. Sign in
    4. It'll say there's an update available, click update. After that close the Amazon App Store.

Now you can delete it
    Did that on mine but i still can't delete it.
    08-23-14 08:38 AM
    Did that on mine but i still can't delete it.
    Try restarting your phone. If not, manually update by downloading the latest version of Amazon App Store apk and then installing it. After that, you should be able to uninstall
    anon721037 likes this.
    08-23-14 08:44 AM
    Did it work Slff?

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 12:29 AM
    Download taskmanager app and kill the amazon process
    08-24-14 04:07 AM
    You can remove the Android runtime by dropping down to a version of 10.2 which supports it's removal. I autoloaded 10.2.1.1055 and removed the Android runtime along with a host of annoying (IMO) apps including (but not limited to) Help, Setup, Story Maker, sys.socialconnect.*, Picture Password and Remember. Removed the same app bars from 10.3.0.1052 before performing a non-destructive upgrade. All told and including the BARS that can normally be removed, I shaved off around 400MB in installation footprint from a default installation. The one caveat is that you may not be able to remove the Amazon Appstore APK due to the removal of the Android runtime.
    Last edited by adamlau; 08-24-14 at 02:49 PM.
    Samuele1996 likes this.
    08-24-14 04:38 AM
    1. Open Amazon App Store
    2. Sign in

Now you can delete it
    Already done but nothing.
    I'll try the APK method.

I simply don't understand why a BLACKBERRY operating system comes with ANDROID apps preloaded. The Android runtime should be a "more".

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 04:49 AM
    I simply don't understand why a BLACKBERRY operating system comes with ANDROID apps preloaded. The Android runtime should be a "more".
    Maybe, just maybe, people were crying about lack of apps?
    08-24-14 04:52 AM
    Bear in mind that 10.3.1052 is not a production build, per se. Things may change. But at least you now know how the Android runtime can be deinstalled for an increase in security and a reduction in resource consumption.
    08-24-14 05:06 AM
    Maybe, just maybe, people were crying about lack of apps?
    Yes, you are right, but I feel like we're loosing our "BlackBerry Identity". It's like: ok, now you've bought a BlackBerry, if you want some apps you can search the BlackBerry World and if you don't find go Android. Actually, we don't have a lot of good applications for BlackBerry, only the Built for BlackBerry ones and a few more, the rest is Android. Don't get me wrong, I love BlackBerry, I'm a BlackBerry user since 2007 with my first Curve 8310, I'm studying Qt C++ and QML so I can build native apps for BlackBerry, but these things make me sad

Well, time will tell, unless now we know the "hacky" for removing the Android Runtime...

Thanks to all for your help and clarifications!

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 08:04 AM
    Yes, you are right, but I feel like we're loosing our "BlackBerry Identity". It's like: ok, now you've bought a BlackBerry, if you want some apps you can search the BlackBerry World and if you don't find go Android. Actually, we don't have a lot of good applications for BlackBerry, only the Built for BlackBerry ones and a few more, the rest is Android. Don't get me wrong, I love BlackBerry, I'm a BlackBerry user since 2007 with my first Curve 8310, I'm studying Qt C++ and QML so I can build native apps for BlackBerry, but these things make me sad

Well, time will tell, unless now we know the "hacky" for removing the Android Runtime...

Thanks to all for your help and clarifications!

Posted via CB10
    It's either that or no BlackBerry at all.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 08:18 AM
    I don't really understand threads like this. Why remove the app store? I do understand the desire for only native apps but the reality is we're so far behind in the app game that we had to make a shift. The app development money isn't with BlackBerry. Thankfully with this OS our BlackBerry's now auto scan apks prior to install to sniff out malware.

Personally, I'm all for giving the people more access to apps while still having a blanket of security. Stubbornly holding on to the past is what got us into this struggle in the first place. Chen is making some awesome progress and creating things never before seen. We get the best of both worlds... apps and BlackBerry. I'm personally a fan.

Just my personal opinion is all

Verizon Q10 running 10.3.0.1052 on CB10. My boring channel but has cute Frenchie puppy pics
    mkelley65 likes this.
    08-24-14 08:56 AM
    I'll be this was part of the deal allowing access to the Amazon App Store - making it an integral part of BB10 devices.
    08-24-14 09:06 AM
    Why would you care if the runtime is there? Just don't use it if you don't want it. Same with amazon. Just don't use it.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 12:50 PM
    I don't really understand threads like this. Why remove the app store? I do understand the desire for only native apps but the reality is we're so far behind in the app game that we had to make a shift. The app development money isn't with BlackBerry. Thankfully with this OS our BlackBerry's now auto scan apks prior to install to sniff out malware.
    Yeah, I agree now BlackBerry 10 is way better even on security with BlackBerry Guardian and I know there's people out there that really need apps, maybe even for work, and I would put it in a Trash folder, but I've discovered sometimes Amazon App Store runs in background draining my battery and, as far as I don't use it, I would like to be able to remove it to recover some space? Don't you agree? Why I can uninstall Facebook but not Amazon? Even Facebook is very integrated in the BlackBerry 10 OS!
    Please, just give me the ability to have the control of my phone (I would like to remember to all guys at BlackBerry I've payed ?699 for it...)

Have a nice day guys!!!
    And thanks again!

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 01:53 PM
    It is just easy to delete Amazon App Store.

Got to: Install Amazon Appstore

Download the APK to your pc/laptop.

Then go to: PlayBook .apk to .bar converter

Convert the APK to BAR file and sideload it with Chrome on your device, the "Permanent" will turn in Uninstall and gone is Amazon.
    08-24-14 02:02 PM
    That probably will not work as you will likely end up with two installed instances of the Appstore. Furthermore, subsequent removal of the BAR will not remove the preinstalled APK.
    08-24-14 03:11 PM
    That probably will not work as you will likely end up with two installed instances of the Appstore. Furthermore, subsequent removal of the BAR will not remove the preinstalled APK.
    I did it on my Q10, I did not get 2 amazon stores and was able to delete it.
    08-24-14 03:32 PM
    Odd. I just did this and was left with two Appstores of which only the BAR was removable. Will reboot the device and attempt once more. Perhaps this was the caveat that I had mentioned previously of not being able to remove the APK if the Android runtime was deinstalled beforehand.
    08-24-14 03:56 PM
    Odd. I just did this and was left with two Appstores of which only the BAR was removable. Will reboot the device and attempt once more.
    That's to be expected. The only solution is to either update the android app or if that doesn't work, then download and install the latest amazon app store apk using your phone

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 03:58 PM
    Other way (easy-er way) to remove amazon. Go in the app sing in, go to Setting en check for updates. After it update hold the icon, trash can is showing
    08-24-14 04:04 PM
    Other way (easy-er way) to remove amazon. Go in the app sing in, go to Setting en check for updates. After it update hold the icon, trash can is showing
    Already been mentioned multiple times
    08-24-14 04:27 PM
    Like to delete amazon is no use here. Europe

Maybe in the future buy know it missing log of local apps for finance,health,etc.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 05:34 PM
35 12