Just looking at Passport specs and what is Time of Flight sensor

Posted from my Z30
    08-23-14 07:08 AM
    I believe it used as a proximity sensor - it measures distance to objects based on speed of light, rather than other less reliablel techniques that work by measuring reflected light from nearby surfaces. Check out STMicroelectronics Proximity Sensor Solves Smartphone Hang-ups for an example of such a sensor - not saying this is the one used in the Passport, just an example I found online that explained the technology.
    08-23-14 08:25 PM
    That looks interesting thanks for the info.

Posted from my Z30
    08-24-14 06:52 AM
    I wikipedia'd it to get a full understanding.
    Human-machine interfaces and gaming
    As time-of-flight cameras provide distance images in real time, it is easy to track movements of humans. This allows new interactions with consumer devices such as televisions. Another topic is to use this type of cameras to interact with games on video game consoles. The second-generation Kinect sensor which is a standard component of the Xbox One console uses a time-of-flight camera for its range imaging, enabling natural user interfaces and gaming applications using computer vision and gesture recognition techniques. Creative and Intel also provide a similar type of interactive gesture time-of-flight camera for gaming, the Senz3D based on the DepthSense 325 camera of Softkinetic. Infineon and pmdtechnologies enable tiny integrated 3D depth cameras for close-range gesture control of consumer devices like all-in-one PCs and laptops

Anyone know of practical examples for use on a smartphone? Is this for gestures through the camera? Where is BlackBerry headed with this?

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 09:20 AM
    Anyone know of practical examples for use on a smartphone? Is this for gestures through the camera? Where is BlackBerry headed with this?
    Apparently some smartphones use it as part of their laser-assisted autofocus systems for the camera.

And the reason I'm necro'ing this old thread is in doing some research on ToF sensors I ran across a link to it. :P

FWIW, the Priv also includes a ToF sensor.
    02-07-16 11:24 PM