Let me begin that I've got this serious annoyance, anger and gripe with users on this board answering BB10 news questions of 'can BB10 run android apps?' with a simplistic YES.

BULLSHIZ!

I know the mods, and the better editors of crackberry have done their best to properly inform the community but this is going to be the bane of BlackBerry's comeback with all their hard earned work down the toilet.

Let me explain.

I'm not new to BlackBerry nor BB10, I've troubleshooter BlackBerry's since the 8700 debut across 5 carriers and multiple corporations over the last several years,until BB10. I bought an dusted the BB10 as a personal device from Canadian launch day 5 and up until March 25th this year - now in BES10 EMM - Balance... and STILL loving it.

I'm more than aware of BB10 NOT being able to run Android apps made for higher than 4.2.2 on 10.2.1 nor being capable of running any DROID apps using Google services.

That all said there are countless threads of users claiming the Google Maps works (not noting certain sourced apk's are modified using another mapping service provider, and claiming Chrome works.

I've tried a total of 10 versions of Google Chrome apk's sourced over the Web or an additional various versions of Chrome... ALL very last one of them FAILED to maintain running existence. they install without issue nor error. They launch, draw the UI and BOOM crash before you can initiate anything!!!

I've tried running that Lucky whatever app - tes I've read all 7 pages of that the as before trying. Supposedly the app works wonders for very many who've tried and bothered to comment with their experiences.

Also I've read of the hallowed than thou experiences of SNAP. So I got that loaded. First I tried GMaps woah, yeah it worked without issue, I'm with it! Then Google Chrome. This time it loads, remains stable. It EVEN prompted me to sign in with my Google account which I attempted, it sourced BB10 Accounts selected my Gmail and accepted not errors returned me to the Accounts screen. I back out. I tried going to a site... nothing. I can open up tabs nothing.

Firefox to the rescue; NOT! Firefox Beta to the rescue. Booyah! Sites, privacy, clear cookies sync cloud it all worked. We'll for 24hrs it did. Then doesn't even fully launches before crashing!

So there you have it! Just sick of this whole Android experience on BB10. To anyone that says BlackBerry should very went with android or be bought by Google or should just run Amazon app store on BlackBerry and replace App World on BB10.... I got a finger for you - THE MIDDLE!

I like my BB10 just with native proper, reliable, secure, no damn half stepping bull!

For the simple and sole reason I wanted to run Chrome was for ease of use with portable bookmark library.

I've gone through all official and non official BB10 OS' including Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247 on Bell Z30 on Z10, and on Q10. And no no work policy prevents Android in Personal or work space and I can remove the policy or set it to default for testing and I have.

So somebody try to convince me the real world benefits of Android on BB10!

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    08-21-14 01:40 AM
    Well, I'm not one to type a lot, but the fact is that, with the upcoming OS 10.3, we'll be able to run a whole lot of android apps that don't currently work on 10.2.1. Personally, I have been running the 10.3.0.700 Dev OS for a while, and I can tell you that apps such as Chrome and Firefox work without issues.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    08-21-14 01:58 AM
    When did anyone say that Chrome worked?? It definitely never worked for me... GMaps on the other hand, that works great on my Z10
    08-21-14 02:11 AM
    Here are Screenshots of the latest update of chrome running on 10.3.0.700 Dev OS. Also, because i have the patched Google login services by Cobalt installed, I was able to sign in and synced my bookmarks
    Consumers - BB10 Android Player (blows)!-img_20140821_081339.png
    Consumers - BB10 Android Player (blows)!-img_20140821_081244.png
    Consumers - BB10 Android Player (blows)!-img_20140821_081309.png
    Consumers - BB10 Android Player (blows)!-img_20140821_081259.png

nick13b and bilzomaniac like this.
    08-21-14 02:17 AM
    OP, we all know that BlackBerry can't run all Android apps.....especially those relying on GSF. BlackBerry CEO even mentioned a figure of 70% if I'm not mistaken. Of the remaining 30% some patching allowed a few users to run several of those with various degrees of success. This is a BlackBerry with capabilities to run a large number of Android apps - it is not an Android phone and never will be. If you require all Android apps to work for you out of the box, go here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Google+Play+supported+devices&l=1

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.2.1531
    08-21-14 02:24 AM
    If you ask me, I would say the android runtime will see more improvement in future OS releases.

nick13b likes this.
    08-21-14 02:31 AM
    I hear you, OP, I only use a handful of apps from the droid store, tapatalk and my banking app, neither of them requires Google service

Sent from 2AD743B7 via Tapatalk Pro
    nick13b, Supa_Fly1 and Genghis2k3 like this.
    08-21-14 02:31 AM
    Its a good article but still blackberry is blackberry at the end of the day and not android. Its pretty amazing that BB10 can run even a single android app but it can run hundreds of thousands of them perfectly! And the few it cant run sucks balls but its not a deal breaker for me if I cant run nsa approved apps like chrome.

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    Supa_Fly1 and Thunderbuck like this.
    08-21-14 02:40 AM
    See, your problem was just not using the default browser.

It's best browser.

Also, it's been reported that the newer versions fix your problems.

So whatever. Whine and complain all you like. I'm enjoying my BlackBerry and will continue to do so, until the day I no longer do.

It certainly won't be because of apps though.

Posted from the future by brain kinesis
    08-21-14 03:14 AM
    Not all android apps work on android.
    Supa_Fly1, nick13b and Thunderbuck like this.
    08-21-14 03:25 AM
    I understand the point of the OP. If somebody asks If BlackBerrys can run android apps we can not simply say 'yes' . We have to say 'yes, but..'

BlackBerry may be able tu run the majority of all android apps, but that is useless as long as the not working apps are the most important for the users. If somebody wants to use chrome, gmaps, .... then BlackBerry doesn�t work for him. But every customer should know what he wants. If you like to have all google stuff, all android games / apps then dont go out and buy an Iphone, Windows Phone, BlackBerry - go and buy an Android Phone. If you like the Apple Ecosystem buy an Iphone. Dont get me wrong, this is not meant to sound rude. It is just to clarify that you cant go to kfc if want to eat a big mac. but as you said BlackBerry and we as community have to be honest about all capabilities.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    08-21-14 03:42 AM
    I understand the point of the OP. If somebody asks If BlackBerrys can run android apps we can not simply say 'yes' . We have to say 'yes, but..'

BlackBerry may be able tu run the majority of all android apps, but that is useless as long as the not working apps are the most important for the users. If somebody wants to use chrome, gmaps, .... then BlackBerry doesn�t work for him. But every customer should know what he wants. If you like to have all google stuff, all android games / apps then dont go out and buy an Iphone, Windows Phone, BlackBerry - go and buy an Android Phone. If you like the Apple Ecosystem buy an Iphone. Dont get me wrong, this is not meant to sound rude. It is just to clarify that you cant go to kfc if want to eat a big mac. but as you said BlackBerry and we as community have to be honest about all capabilities.
    Agreed buy whatever meet your needs

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 03:46 AM
    Not all android apps work on android.
    Seems to get lost for some reason, but you're right. I have a tablet running ICS which has waaaaaaaay more problems with apps than my Z30 does.

Posted via CB10
    nick13b likes this.
    08-21-14 03:47 AM
    The benefits? Damn OP, maybe if you ask SQEX to port its software token then I don't need Android runtime
    And LINE too

There's the benefit. They haven't supported us natively? Well there's a band-aid for that

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    08-21-14 03:50 AM
    oh, i forgot to answer your question about the real world benefits of the android player.

Different people have different needs. I for myself dont need gmaps or chrome or a lot of the android apps.
    I need the app offered for my university, the skype app and the 7igital Music Store. These apps are working for me and so I have a real benefit of the android player.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    08-21-14 03:53 AM
    Agree. And even in 10.3, it is going to work well but not give you that perfect experience. You would always find a thing or two short.

Even they have issues in OS 10 itself and the best
    example would be z10 battery calibration issue.

I guess 10.3 should have been 10.0 but we can't do anything now.

That's the way it is. Maybe that's why they tied up with Amazon.

It's sad but we can't do much if developers don't find it easy and also profitable for BlackBerry 10.

Hope we sell phones in big numbers.

While we also need to realize that today almost every OS does all the stuff we do normally and BlackBerry has a name for doing it quickly - productivity.

So choose which fits your needs. All are good enough.

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    08-21-14 04:06 AM
    When did anyone say that Chrome worked?? It definitely never worked for me... GMaps on the other hand, that works great on my Z10
    GMaps
    - there appears to be a version that works but it's NOT the official version although the details state Google.
    - the official version works from SNAP download and you can tell because of the HTML overlay walk through hints that appear flash like just like on the competing mobile os'.

Chrome - statements that it works like I previously stated are in threads on these very boards by a few ppl.

This is all I see with FF now even after a restart or Volume Up/Down restart.

Consumers - BB10 Android Player (blows)!-img_20140821_172244.png

And low and behold just as I retry FF to get screenshots of errors it begins to work - the question is for how long.

Consumers - BB10 Android Player (blows)!-img_20140821_172410.png

Consumers - BB10 Android Player (blows)!-img_20140821_172430.png
    Consumers - BB10 Android Player (blows)!-img_20140821_172448.png
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140821_172410.png 
Views:	382 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	292226

08-21-14 04:32 PM
    dustmalik

Thanks for the 10.3 700 screenshots and Cobalt tip. it's nice and all but for 2 reasons I cannot follow suit:
    1. 10.3 beta ... i need a stable OS environment where I don't have to deal with serial numbers overlaying what I should be reading (PS: How the HELL did you get rid of yours on 700 SDK build)?
    2. Cobalt ... obviously I have no idea what that is and I'm willing to bet there is not a clear step by step guide to get it to work.

PS: What I mean by CLEAR is that there is no questions as to what steps are actionable by say a complete newb. I'm far to busy supporting 300+ users at my office, or various sites with vague requests for things I have to contact them back about multi-tasking with VC's, printers, AD accounts, emails, BB's emails, Good on iOS emails/exchange permissions, different domains.
    You can get the gist why I've chosen OSX as my home OS vs Windows when I know windows very well. I dont want to work my brain off at home, that's what work is for I love doing that at work, at home I already have insomnia.

@M1kr0,

typical response from the old gaurd that plagued CB; thought we outgrown members like you. Thanks for the rude link - I'm no fool, and I think I've proven that but I guess you did not READ my post fully.

1. I'm no newb to BB10, nor BB, just to Android on BB10.
    2. I did NOT EVER STATE I wanted All Android Apps on BB10.
    Hmm I wonder if there is a Google search on ... Teaching or Guiding Forum Members HOW TO READ
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=teaching+a+child+how+to+read

A little give and take for you with tongue in cheek.

@John Vieira,

Oh brother ... I'm ALL FOR the Native BB10 Browser! I'm the guy early on on these boards telling others that complained about webservices for applications when the Browser could more than EASILY suffice.

Unfortunately ... many of us in I.T. Keep a large cache of Bookmarks to important resolutions on the web for hard to resolve tasks that we'd like to have on our mobile devices, also to keep them udpated say if one link goes dead or grab new ones, replace old ones, rename, refile, etc. I cannot do that either over the BB10 Browser (No import, Export, Update, only share 1 link at a time) ... and it's painstaken to use a file in Evernote/Remember via Evernote. Not ideal nor as efficient.

But I love the native browser so I'll keep using my contacts at or working in relation to BB indirectly to get this natively.

ATV_Hightower,

THAT my friend is positive criticism, something I appreciate and not what I received from M1kr0 above. I've been harsh on these boards, but I've been MORE helpful than harsh and my harshness was directly related and in tune to the root post I was rude towards, not just arrogance.

BTW, I goto KFC because they make a better, more filling and tastier burger that is more competitively price that nourished my taste & appetite vs most of the competition. If KFC offers an Apple Pie that supposedly is 70% as good as McDonalds yet every time I go in to place my order why should I NOT have nor WANT it? The alternatives isn't helping me with that pie.

^ clap if you completely understood just how directly that is related to BB vs Android Apps:
    Completes my day to day = better filling.
    Tastier = more user friendly/easier for me to use,
    I'm excited to use BB10, enjoy it more than Android = tastier,
    Better total cost of ownership that keeps me upgrading every 6mths (not a spec *****) = more competitively price that nourishes my taste & appetite,

Finally .... Android Runtime features = If KFC offers an Apple Pie that supposedly is 70% as good as McDonalds yet everytime I go in to place my order why should I NOT have nor WANT it?

@Raesstloz,

I'm not sure I fully understand your post other than "they haven't supported us natively" ... well you can thank the former developer leadership offering porting Android apps in 5mins. Why they hell would developer learn new coding language, guidance rules and API's when porting is so much cheaper to do on their dime/dollar per minute?! Hmm. There my friend lies the rub right from the beginning. Kinda like if you like hot women and Scarlett Johansson asks you to got The Island (movie) with you, are you gonna resist, and for how long? Same idea Android developers are faced with. So I get the issue.

ATV_Hightower likes this.
    08-21-14 05:10 PM
    Supa_Fly1 - you are a favorite here for sure. That was quite an op . . . . are you off your meds or maybe . . . should you get ON some?
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    08-21-14 06:01 PM
    Here are Screenshots of the latest update of chrome running on 10.3.0.700 Dev OS. Also, because i have the patched Google login services by Cobalt installed, I was able to sign in and synced my bookmarks

Name:	IMG_20140821_081339.png 
Views:	1053 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	292090

Name:	IMG_20140821_081244.png 
Views:	1056 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	292091

Name:	IMG_20140821_081309.png 
Views:	1055 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	292092

Name:	IMG_20140821_081259.png 
Views:	1054 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	292093

No way, that's awesome! I hadn't gotten one to work ever so I quit trying. Nice to know that it works now
    08-21-14 09:21 PM
    Supa_Fly1 - you are a favorite here for sure. That was quite an op . . . . are you off your meds or maybe . . . should you get ON some?
    Lmao! Thanks I think. Been a rough two weeks just got pushed and drained to the limit

DocDRM likes this.
    08-22-14 01:56 AM

It isn't any different from any non-Google Android phone, though. Amazon's new Fire phone, the Nokia X, Sailfish, and hundreds of cheapie Android phones are in the same boat.

If you want Android, buy Android. The runtime in 10.2.1 works very well on most Android apps, and I understand that 10.3 will improve on that.
    08-22-14 02:11 AM
    [QUOTE=Supa_Fly1;10744085]
    @M1kr0,
    typical response from the old gaurd that plagued CB; thought we outgrown members like you. Thanks for the rude link - I'm no fool, and I think I've proven that but I guess you did not READ my post fully.

1. I'm no newb to BB10, nor BB, just to Android on BB10.
    2. I did NOT EVER STATE I wanted All Android Apps on BB10.
    Hmm I wonder if there is a Google search on ... Teaching or Guiding Forum Members HOW TO READ
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=teaching+a+child+how+to+read
    A little give and take for you with tongue in cheek.
    /QUOTE]
    Appreciate your opinion - all the old guard stuff that plagued CB - and that you are absolutely entitled to. I respect your opinion but we have to agree to disagree here: from your OP all your needs will clearly be addressed by an out of the box, native Android experience from any number of top Android phones out there. No need to punish yourself with the BlackBerry experience. Oh and the link I posted was a little tongue in cheek, not implying you are new to this or don't know it. Perhaps BlackBerry in the current format is just not for you?

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.3.0.1052
    Last edited by m1kr0; 08-23-14 at 10:18 AM.
    08-22-14 12:50 PM
    Supa, I have people saying on my thread that all those apps are working on the new 10.3 leak.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=10747025

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    08-23-14 09:43 AM
    Supa, I have people saying on my thread that all those apps are working on the new 10.3 leak.

10.3 OS apps now working or working better? - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Posted via CB10
    Confirmed ... installed the new 10.3.0.1059 leak and LOVING IT!

Android changes far too much as an experience from device model and from manufacturer - I've Tried Sony Xperia SL, Ion, SGS II, LG Optimus, and the HTC One M7 (which I gave to my son and he prefers android). I'm loving BB10 but I had to face there are a few things based on usage habits that I required some Android applications: Maps, Chrome/FireFox.

Again solved with the recent leak.
    Thunderbuck and brian4591 like this.
    08-23-14 05:25 PM
26 12