Hi all,
    I've been reading these forums for several weeks, and now that the Storm is here, i thought i should have a go at posting another review on here as I know everybody in North America is itching to get their hands on a Storm! I especially thought you might be interested in hearing the opinion of somebody who has owned both a 2G and 3G iPhone.

Quick background on me:
    -I had a BB Curve last year, then I got the offer from o2 to upgrade to the iPhone 2G (in otherwords -end the contract early, still had to pay �269 for handset). I loved the iPhone 2G, i actually think it was worth the money, even though I loved the Curve.
    NOTE: I am not an Apple fanboy, hopefully you will agree when you read this that i am pretty unbiased.. I'm generally a gadget nerd though!!
    Anyway, I then got the opportunity to take the free 3G handset upgrade in July, although i paid the extra �59 for the 16gb version.

In my opinion, the iPhone 3G was released way too early, and several software updates later it still crashes, lags, drops signal at an unacceptable level. I have to admit, I am pretty sour on the iPhone experience by now, but I can still admit its a brilliant device, but it is fundamentally flawed. I believe that the iPhone was mis-sold to customers on an almost fraudulent level, but thats another argument for another day (and possibly a different forum lol!)

Onto the STORM!!
    It arrived yesterday, no shipping/ordering issues for me although Vodafone communication has been poor, I never received an email to say it was even shipped to me yet!
    I have also bought a dock/cradle from my local Vodafone store (its really nice, great quality and looks) and an 8gb card from eBay for �12, works great also.

The handset is amazing, such great quality. For me, the home screen/menu is classier than the iPhone, I prefer the less-technicolour approach to icons! As for the screen, it is very responsive and certainly doesn't lag like the iPhone does. I did notice the slight lag when tilting from landscape to portrait etc, but definitely not too slow or anything to worry about.
    Typing on the keyboard is amazing to me, if you haven't had a touchscreen before then you will need time to adjust -but trust me, it is much better than typing on the iPhone. To explain, the 'keys' seem bigger and easier to hit correctly, plus there is no lag time to worry about.

The demo video on the Storm really showcases the screen quality -it is simply the best i have seen on a mobile device of this size.
    Oh, don't know if this has been mentioned already, but the screen on the iPhone is slightly taller than the Storm -both are similar in width. However, the Storm is much sharper.

Onto sound, and like another reviewer said -the little external speaker is mindblowingly good! Very loud, crisp and clear.

Sound quality when making a call is excellent also -on the iPhone this is one of the worst aspects, like last week I was in a mall (wasn't even busy/loud) and i couldn't hold a conversation on the iPhone, it was too difficult to hear the caller. No such problems with the Storm.

You might all think that I'm hating on the iPhone a little too much, but I have to say that its iPod feature is better than the Media player part of the Storm.... but hey, that is what Apple does best after all. On the Storm, the Media playback is still great and i'm more than happy with it -very easy to use, simple just as it shoud be. And of course, at least it isn't tied to iTunes.

Well, I think i've covered the basics.... please ask me any questions you have, as I realise that i haven't covered half what i intended to -but i know that you don't want to read a novel here lol!

Conclusion: you will LOVE your Storm when you get it!
    11-15-08 02:41 PM
    Cool, great review. I can't wait for it to get released in the US

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 02:46 PM
    Thanks for the write-up! I have a couple questions:

- Any problems with the web browser? Has it worked rather well on most sites you have tried?

- Any noticeable lag when you are multitasking? I am guilty of opening as many applications as possible at one time.

- Is the gap at the bottom of the screen as noticeable as it is in all of these high res pictures?
    11-15-08 02:48 PM
    awesome review, absolutely awesome, im literally sold on the storm after this post because i really badly want the iphone. But now my mind is swayed. thank you
    11-15-08 02:50 PM
    Would you say that the Storm has an easier learning curve for typing than an iPhone for someone who has never owned a touchscreen?
    11-15-08 02:52 PM
    YEESSSSS thanks dude... definitely still getting it i have my pre order in the in the U.S. in
    11-15-08 02:53 PM
    Thanks for the write-up! I have a couple questions:

- Any problems with the web browser? Has it worked rather well on most sites you have tried?

- Any noticeable lag when you are multitasking? I am guilty of opening as many applications as possible at one time.

- Is the gap at the bottom of the screen as noticeable as it is in all of these high res pictures?

When I read my own review just now, I realised that I left so much stuff out and only scratched the surface, so I'm glad you asked questions!

-The web browser is good, but i'm no a ood person to ask as I don't have 3G where I live.... will be able to answer this better when I get to work on Monday!

-There is a little lag if you multitask, but nothing major and I bet a few software updates will fix this!

-Hmmm, there is (in my opinion) a definite gap all around on the screen, but of course its only noticeable in poor light or darkness. To be honest, I haven't read the other posts on this problem, so not sure what others have said. I did notice it, but I think the gap is caused by the space needed for the 'click' action in the screen.
    11-15-08 02:54 PM
    Would you say that the Storm has an easier learning curve for typing than an iPhone for someone who has never owned a touchscreen?

I would say that if you already owned a BB, then you will find typing easy. That might sound weird, but i'm thinking of how predictive text etc works the same on all Blackberrys -i am having to relearn all that again from my Curve days!

I would say that if you have never owned a touchscreen, then both iPhone and Storm take about 2 days to get used to 100% which is qute easy really. I can't fault typing on either, except for the iPhone's terrible lag.
    11-15-08 03:00 PM
    Great unbiased review Jonny. You've put my mind at ease with the few concerns I had.

Can't wait to receive mine on Monday!
    11-15-08 03:02 PM
    If all the problems with the iphone were fixed that you mention (ie, Call Quality and Crashing Problems) would you have stuck with the iphone or do you feel that the storm really does surpass what the iphone offers. The thing that makes me love the iphone so much is:

1) The APP store (great utility to find any type of app)
    2) Mac Integration
    11-15-08 03:03 PM
    hmm great review thanks !!! could you possibly take a video of some of the storm in action ?
    11-15-08 03:06 PM
    Could you tell us how is your Google Maps working, can you get accurate GPS location with it? Just like to clear some rumors about GPS being blocked for provider software only.

Thank you for great review. Thank to people like you we all here sleep better.
    11-15-08 03:09 PM
    If all the problems with the iphone were fixed that you mention (ie, Call Quality and Crashing Problems) would you have stuck with the iphone or do you feel that the storm really does surpass what the iphone offers. The thing that makes me love the iphone so much is:

1) The APP store (great utility to find any type of app)
    2) Mac Integration

1) The App store is one thing i think that I will miss, but then again i never had that on the 2G iPhone and i had way less problems with that handset. Hopefully the BB 'app store' will be just as good when it happens.

2) When I had my Curve last year, I was synching to a Mac iBook, so I know what you mean (assuming I am picking you up correctly!).... now I have a Windohs comp though. If I was in your position now though, I would not let mac integration prevent me from choosing a Storm ahead of an Apple.

Edit: I didn't really answer the first part of your question, so here goes... I think the Storm surpasses the iPhone overall, the only thing that I will miss is WiFi, especially as I dont have 3G reception where i live. I can't wait to get to work on Monday (first and only time I will ever say that in my life!), as we have good 3G signal there and I can test out the browser etc properly. Thats why i have avoided commenting on that stuff so far.
    Last edited by JonnyIreland; 11-15-08 at 03:14 PM.
    11-15-08 03:10 PM
    good to hear, oh yeah. screw the iphone.
    11-15-08 03:14 PM
    I also enjoyed reading your review from your unique perspective! I hopefully will pick mine up this Friday.
    Last edited by lbostons; 11-15-08 at 03:31 PM. Reason: clarity
    11-15-08 03:18 PM
    1) The App store is one thing i think that I will miss, but then again i never had that on the 2G iPhone and i had way less problems with that handset. Hopefully the BB 'app store' will be just as good when it happens.

2) When I had my Curve last year, I was synching to a Mac iBook, so I know what you mean (assuming I am picking you up correctly!).... now I have a Windohs comp though. If I was in your position now though, I would not let mac integration prevent me from choosing a Storm ahead of an Apple.

Edit: I didn't really answer the first part of your question, so here goes... I think the Storm surpasses the iPhone overall, the only thing that I will miss is WiFi, especially as I dont have 3G reception where i live. I can't wait to get to work on Monday (first and only time I will ever say that in my life!), as we have good 3G signal there and I can test out the browser etc properly. Thats why i have avoided commenting on that stuff so far.
    thanks for the reply,

i wouldn't really choose a phone just because of my computer. But i am in love with my mac, ive had windows my whole life and although i like it, macs are just so much better in every way possible. And the fact that apple came out with a phone that pretty much does everything and has terrible service (at&t), and the fact that they picked verizon first but verizon passed up. Just makes it so much more interesting to me to be able to sync everything perfectly between my computer and my phone. But the storm is awesome and they are coming out with new Desktop Manager Software for macs. so we'll see but im definatly getting this phone. Thanks!
    11-15-08 03:24 PM
    what a great review and very detailed I'm excited about the storm coming to Telus but I do understand I have a few more weeks : (( hope you enjoy your storm and welcome to CB, even though you been here you haven't posted so it doesn't count lol!!
    11-15-08 03:26 PM
    what a great review and very detailed I'm excited about the storm coming to Telus but I do understand I have a few more weeks : (( hope you enjoy your storm and welcome to CB, even though you been here you haven't posted so it doesn't count lol!!
    Thanks for the welcome!

I am visiting Toronto in a couple of weeks from now... if you don't get your Storm by then, i'll let you stare at mine for a loonie!
    (thats my attempt at Canadian humour, sorry!)
    11-15-08 03:29 PM
    nice review. Thanks! And im sure the wifi debate will continue on for months after the storms release.
    11-15-08 03:35 PM
    Cool review, thanks JI!
    11-15-08 03:49 PM
    You mentioned the screen on the Storm was responsive but what is your take on the differences of navigating the screen; for example, scrolling, panning, flicking, etc?
    11-15-08 04:47 PM
    You mentioned the screen on the Storm was responsive but what is your take on the differences of navigating the screen; for example, scrolling, panning, flicking, etc?
    I am still getting used to all those things you mentioned, vs the iPhone. The only reason being that I am familiar with the iPhone screen, so I have to teach myself all over again to adjust to the little differences with the Storm screen's operation. I am surprised though, for example, how intuitive it is to work the camera zoom by simply flicking the screen diagonally. It all works very smoothly. I do forget sometimes to click the screen though!
    11-15-08 04:51 PM
    Nice review, I am also going from iPhone to the Storm. Heres my question: do you miss the App Store? What about the ability to play games on the iPhone, does that bother you? I'm afraid I'll miss the fun factor of my iPhone, so I am thinking I will need an iPod Touch.
    11-15-08 04:54 PM
    Fresh review. Thanks for posting it.
    11-15-08 05:07 PM
    Nice review, I am also going from iPhone to the Storm. Heres my question: do you miss the App Store? What about the ability to play games on the iPhone, does that bother you? I'm afraid I'll miss the fun factor of my iPhone, so I am thinking I will need an iPod Touch.
    Are you keeping your existing iPhone, or is that not possible? If you're ending your contract but keeping the handset, then really you already have an iPod Touch, as the iPhone minus cell contract is pretty much an iPod Touch. That is how i use my iPhone now.

(Did that make sense, or am I talking cr@p?)
    11-15-08 05:08 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD