I've never used a blackberry device, so that's why I'm asking the question. This is a more philosophical question about Blackberry.

I have a Galaxy S (bought Jan 2011) and the last time Samsung or T-mobile updated the OS was Nov 2011. Moreover, I know when a new iOS comes out, the older iPhones typically loose performance (source: NY Times; search "Hold the Phone: A Big-Data Conundrum"). Planned Obsolescence at its finest. Lets make the phone slow on purpose, or simply not update the phone so its running software riddled with security holes.

I'm interested in the Z10. Its seems like a nice value for the money. I like the fact that its a user replaceable battery, and the BB 10 OS seems nice from reviews. For now, I know the Z10 is being supported by updates including the upcoming 10.3, by which time the Z10 will be on the market for nearly 2 years.

My question is how much longer is Blackberry likely to keep updating the Z10 if i bought it today. It doesn't have to be new features, but I'd like security patches for a long time. If a new phone comes out early next year, would that mark the end of life for the Z10. I'd like something that would last at least 5 to 6 years as i'm not into replacing things every 2 years.

So I ask, for those of you who are die hard blackberry fans, how good is blackberry about keeping their phones updated with patches. Like i said it doesn't have to be new features, but keeping the OS patched on existing devices for security issues is crucial. Thanks.
    08-18-14 08:45 PM
    With the legacy devices, they got the latest OS updates as long as the hardware supported it, even after that they would get the occasional patch.

I assume that the Z10 will keep getting updates until BlackBerry revamps the OS to take advantage of quad-core processors.

BlackBerry 10 is completely new so there isn't really a precedent to go on.
    Sean Fanelli likes this.
    08-18-14 09:10 PM
    I think this is a common concern amongst many here, albeit for some the concern is simply, "if I buy a new BlackBerry, am I buying a device that will only be left to rot due to possible out-pulling of consumer devices/handsets altogether."

Unfortunately, despite BlackBerry's pretty significant strides as of late, no clear answer to this is available as far as I can see.

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247 TMO US
    08-18-14 09:14 PM
    After 2012 almost all android devices from reputable manufacturers had about 2 years of support. IOS is a different story. They went a bit crazy with all the eye candy which is why it lagged on the iPhone 4 and to some degree on the 4s, but considering the 4 is already 4 years old.... I'd say it had a fantastic period of support.
    08-18-14 09:23 PM
    From what I have seen over the years when devices go end of life they usually support them for about 3 to 4 years.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 09:42 PM
    They're still actively updating the 99xx line. It was released three years ago. You'll be fine.

Posted via Q10RR
    08-18-14 10:24 PM
    They're still actively updating the 99xx line. It was released three years ago. You'll be fine.
    People who bought a PB thought they would "be fine" too.

Food for thought.

CDN
    08-18-14 10:56 PM
    The 9900 is a special case. With os7 being phased out and customers not willing to migrate to bb10 BlackBerry was forced to restart production of the 9900. It really tells you something when BlackBerry was giving their own employees steep discounts on BlackBerry 10 devices while the 9900 was offered to employees at full price.

The 9380 was only available for something like 150 days before they pulled the plug on it. Support for that model didn't last too long either.
    08-18-14 11:14 PM
    People who bought a PB thought they would "be fine" too.

Food for thought.

CDN
    Well they did at least, slightly update the playbook, or was it blackberry bridge? Idk, I get to text and bbm through the playbook now using the bridge when connected to my Q10 and that wasn't possible before.

The playbook is a different matter though. Blackberry thought they were going to make more than one tablet they didn't plan to begin and end with the playbook.

I wouldn't worry about updates RIGHT NOW. The Z10 and Q10 are still really new if you think about it. The chance of not getting updates in a couple years is most likely zero. This is my opinion.

And after all, I AM a Crackberry Master now

Posted via Q10RR
    08-19-14 04:44 AM
    BlackBerry is known for their great security. Even if the Z10 won't get any more updates with new functionalities, I strongly believe that security will be maintained.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    08-19-14 05:13 AM
    BlackBerry is known for their great security. Even if the Z10 won't get any more updates with new functionalities, I strongly believe that security will be maintained.

What you believe and what history has evidenced sadly do not match.
    08-19-14 08:13 AM
    I've never used a blackberry device, so that's why I'm asking the question. This is a more philosophical question about Blackberry.

I have a Galaxy S (bought Jan 2011) and the last time Samsung or T-mobile updated the OS was Nov 2011. Moreover, I know when a new iOS comes out, the older iPhones typically loose performance (source: NY Times; search "Hold the Phone: A Big-Data Conundrum"). Planned Obsolescence at its finest. Lets make the phone slow on purpose, or simply not update the phone so its running software riddled with security holes.

I'm interested in the Z10. Its seems like a nice value for the money. I like the fact that its a user replaceable battery, and the BB 10 OS seems nice from reviews. For now, I know the Z10 is being supported by updates including the upcoming 10.3, by which time the Z10 will be on the market for nearly 2 years.

My question is how much longer is Blackberry likely to keep updating the Z10 if i bought it today. It doesn't have to be new features, but I'd like security patches for a long time. If a new phone comes out early next year, would that mark the end of life for the Z10. I'd like something that would last at least 5 to 6 years as i'm not into replacing things every 2 years.

So I ask, for those of you who are die hard blackberry fans, how good is blackberry about keeping their phones updated with patches. Like i said it doesn't have to be new features, but keeping the OS patched on existing devices for security issues is crucial. Thanks.
    Firstly, 10.3 is not coming to the Z10. 10.3 will only be released for the passport (3GB RAM). 10.3.1 will be released shortly after for all devices.

And second, there are rumors if a Z20 replacing the Z10 in the future. If that does happen, I still think the z10 will be supported but they'll probably follow the 10.3 and 10.3.1 example (where high end devices get an update first, and then lower end get an optimized performance update)

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 09:04 AM
    What you believe and what history has evidenced sadly do not match.
    Oh? Can you give an example? (not the PlayBook, I'm talking about phones)

08-21-14 08:11 AM
    Firstly, 10.3 is not coming to the Z10. 10.3 will only be released for the passport (3GB RAM). 10.3.1 will be released shortly after for all devices.

And second, there are rumors if a Z20 replacing the Z10 in the future. If that does happen, I still think the z10 will be supported but they'll probably follow the 10.3 and 10.3.1 example (where high end devices get an update first, and then lower end get an optimized performance update)

Posted via CB10
    Well as far as I have seen the leaked 10.3 for Z10 and those people who have loaded it on their devices were not facing any lag. And Z10 is capable of running 10.3. BlackBerry just only want to keep 10.3 for Passport and 10.3.1 for all other devices.

Posted via CrackBerry App on my Zed 10
    08-21-14 09:37 AM
    Thanks for the responses. Its seems most people expect the Z10 to at least get security updates (which is good with me, since the phone itself meets my needs) for a while (years). Out of curiosity, do the Blackberry 7 devices still receive security updates, even after the 10 has been out for 1 1/2 year.
    08-26-14 02:39 AM
    Thanks for the responses. Its seems most people expect the Z10 to at least get security updates (which is good with me, since the phone itself meets my needs) for a while (years). Out of curiosity, do the Blackberry 7 devices still receive security updates, even after the 10 has been out for 1 1/2 year.
    As stated above They still do get patches, no more significant updates

Posted via my z10. "Living life on the edge"
    08-26-14 07:24 AM