Does anyone else agree that BlackBerry should get rid of the drop down menu system, which usually holds the "settings" option, and move all of those options to the right "more" menu?

Issues I have with this implementation:

1) The drop down menu isn't all that intuitive seeing how there's no indication that it's even there.

2) In certain applications, such as drawing apps, the drop menu system gesture just gets in the way if one wants to start a line from the top of the bezel of the phone.

3) I don't really see how it's necessary to have yet another options menu. For crying out loud, there are damn near three of them! Plus removing it would remove some inconsistencies within the OS such as, if one were to swipe down from the top of the screen while in the hub, the quick settings come up instead of the drop down menu. This in itself can be confusing and unintuitive.

So instead of having the drop down menu system, how about just have the quick settings accessible throughout the entire OS with just one swipe? I don't know about you, buy I use my phone one handed most of the time, and using two fingers to access the quick settings within applications isn't all that efficient. Or how about just not have any gesture related to swiping down from the top bezel? Just put the settings options on the right menu and streamline to the bottom of the list so users always know that it's there.

Anyways, what does everyone think?
    08-17-14 09:39 PM
    I love my drop down menu.
    08-17-14 09:41 PM
    I love to drop it down....

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 09:45 PM
    I love the drop down menu hope it doesn't change / get rid of

Posted via CB10
    ShevyRock and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    08-17-14 10:19 PM
    Switch to android and youll be missing a lot of things .. Like the fact the settings menu is always a drop down away. Never thought I'd say that but the grass is always greener on the other side and I can't wait to get a working bb again.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    dracolnyte, Supa_Fly1 and Mic_JP like this.
    08-17-14 10:22 PM
    The drop down menu is awesome, leave it!

Posted via the Z30 on CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    08-17-14 10:44 PM
    Not really. Bottom for a few of the major tasks, right side for the rest, left side for navigation and top for infrequent stuff. Makes sense.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    08-17-14 10:48 PM
    I believe they're making the drop down accessible on all screens including when you're using in an app for 10.3, so that should make it even more useful and efficient to use
    08-17-14 10:51 PM
    I use the drop down more then any other driver function myself and love the quick simplicity of it. Get rid of it.. No, not for me. I would rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick. lol

Akawarrior..

Sent Via z10 STL100-3 (2228/2229)
    Shadowyugi and ra2axe like this.
    08-17-14 11:03 PM
    Well, OP, there you go.

I guess we can close this thread now, see y'all somewhere else.
    donemt and Shadowyugi like this.
    08-17-14 11:12 PM
    I love the drop down menu because it gives me access to most of the settings asap.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 11:26 PM
    Na leave the drop down where it is.

When I want to access the settings I don't want to faff about having to do this that and the other. It works perfectly as it is.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    08-17-14 11:29 PM
    That's one of my favorite things about BB10. It's such an intuitive gesture once you've tried it a few times.
    tHe.iR1sH likes this.
    08-17-14 11:32 PM
    2) In certain applications, such as drawing apps, the drop menu system gesture just gets in the way if one wants to start a line from the top of the bezel of the phone.
    On this point I would agree. Except... in these certain applications it is up to the application developer to NOT use the drop down to avoid this issue. if they are still using it and causing issues that's on the dev for poor testing and bad design.

Devs don't have to use it.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    08-17-14 11:36 PM
    I'd like a notification panel drop down menu like on the bbos but it won't happen.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 11:55 PM
    On this point I would agree. Except... in these certain applications it is up to the application developer to NOT use the drop down to avoid this issue. if they are still using it and causing issues that's on the dev for poor testing and bad design.

Posted via CB10
    So if the dev decides not to implement it then the settings would be tucked away in the "more" overflow menu. So, there goes the consistency and overall intuitive-ness. IMO, something like settings should never be inconsistent because it's a feature that everyone will have to go to at some point. Also, an application can be different from another, but there will ALWAYS be a settings menu within an application so the settings should always be in the same location.
    08-17-14 11:59 PM
    I already think the house has spoken. But I figured I would share too.

1) The drop down menu isn't all that intuitive seeing how there's no indication that it's even there.

[It is the point. It's completely out of the way unless needed.]

[covered already_ app developers issue write them.]

3) I don't really see how it's necessary to have yet another options menu. For crying out loud, there are damn near three of them! Plus removing it would remove some inconsistencies within the OS such as, if one were to swipe down from the top of the screen while in the hub, the quick settings come up instead of the drop down menu. This in itself can be confusing and unintuitive.

[I actually love that it is more than 1 way to skin a cat. I think it helps not only long time BlackBerry users but people coming from other OSes find a way to get what they need to get done without hunting around for only 1 way to do it. So if you know it's there use it.]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it not part of the tutorial when you first get your phone. If it is...then everyone knows it's there.
    My vote leave it.

Secret squirreling with my Q. DPI Private Investigations ?C0001FE5D ?
    08-18-14 12:44 AM

Posted via CB10
    :,(

Attachment 291460
    08-18-14 12:45 AM
    Drop it like it's hot!

BB10_Is_So_Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    08-18-14 01:16 AM
    Inb4 the lock!

Why in the world would you want them to get rid of it?
    Do you not like changing brightness on the go?
    Do you not like turning on/off wifi in an instant?
    Do you not like turning on/off alarm with just a touch?

Posted via CB10
    anon5288998 likes this.
    08-18-14 01:25 AM
    Inb4 the lock!

Why in the world would you want them to get rid of it?
    Do you not like changing brightness on the go?
    Do you not like turning on/off wifi in an instant?
    Do you not like turning on/off alarm with just a touch?

Posted via CB10
    You apparently didn't read the post correctly lol.
    08-18-14 01:45 AM
    Maybe you're right.
    It's too late here. I'm on my bed readin' through the forum.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 01:47 AM
    So if the dev decides not to implement it then the settings would be tucked away in the "more" overflow menu. So, there goes the consistency and overall intuitive-ness. IMO, something like settings should never be inconsistent because it's a feature that everyone will have to go to at some point. Also, an application can be different from another, but there will ALWAYS be a settings menu within an application so the settings should always be in the same location.
    It's already inconsistent. The browser settings are not accessed from a top swipe. Neither is the hub.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 01:48 AM
    It's already inconsistent. The browser settings are not accessed from a top swipe. Neither is the hub.

Posted via CB10
    Hub gives access to Quick Settings so the Hub setting itself has to be somewhere else

The Browser I agree. They could have just put the page title at the bottom

But all things considered there is nothing bad with the top settings

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    08-18-14 02:21 AM
    I agree with the OP. The "pull down" menu/options don't seem necessary. I'd rather have universal access to quick settings with a single swipe down.
    Having said that, I don't think BlackBerry will be implementing this seeing as they've already announced the 2-finger swipe down gesture for quick settings. Totally counter intuitive and definitely one of the poorer BlackBerry 10 design choices in my opinion.
    08-18-14 03:14 AM
76 123 ...