Hello friends
    Please suggest whether amazon app store and 1 mobile market are safe for BlackBerry z10 since I am using BlackBerry OS very first time.

Your prompt reply is highly appreciated.

Thanks
    08-17-14 03:53 AM
    Yes safe as houses

Sent from 2AD743B7 via Tapatalk Pro
    08-17-14 04:04 AM
    Thanks for the swift response.

Actually I was reading few comments that anti virus or app scanner is must if installing any android app from amazon store or 1mobile market.

Is it really must or simply ignore it?

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 04:35 AM
    Using the principle of "you can sue where the money is" Amazon is likely to be as safe as Playstore or any of the other western sources.

It appears that the risk attached to 1mobile is significantly higher. Google "1mobile malware" and make your own judgement, but personally I wouldn't trust anything from that site. Also lookup the ownership of 1mobile and ask yourself which country is suspected of supporting most of the hacking attacks against western systems.

>> whois 1mobile.com
    Domain Name: 1MOBILE.COM
    Registry Domain ID: 82841245_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
    Registrar URL: Domain Names | The World's Largest Domain Name Registrar - GoDaddy
    Update Date: 2013-12-23 22:32:23
    Creation Date: 2002-01-21 19:25:14
    Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2015-01-21 19:25:14
    Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
    Registrar IANA ID: 146
    Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
    Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.480-624-2505
    Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
    Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited
    Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited
    Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited
    Registry Registrant ID:
    Registrant Name: Kunlun Kunlun
    Registrant Organization: Kunlun Wanwei Keji Gufen Youxian Gongsi
    Registrant Street: Beijing
    Registrant Street: Xicheng District
    Registrant City: Beijing
    Registrant State/Province: Beijing
    Registrant Postal Code: 100040
    Registrant Country: China
    Registrant Phone: +86.18611593115
    Registrant Phone Ext:
    Registrant Fax: +86.1059320800
    Registrant Fax Ext:
    Registrant Email: [email protected]
    Registry Admin ID:
    Admin Name: Kunlun Kunlun
    Admin Organization: Kunlun Wanwei Keji Gufen Youxian Gongsi
    Admin Street: Beijing
    Admin Street: Xicheng District
    Admin City: Beijing
    Admin State/Province: Beijing
    Admin Postal Code: 100040
    Admin Country: China
    Admin Phone: +86.18611593115
    Admin Phone Ext:
    Admin Fax: +86.1059320800
    Admin Fax Ext:
    Admin Email: [email protected]
    Registry Tech ID:
    Tech Name: Kunlun Kunlun
    Tech Organization: Kunlun Wanwei Keji Gufen Youxian Gongsi
    Tech Street: Beijing
    Tech Street: Xicheng District
    Tech City: Beijing
    Tech State/Province: Beijing
    Tech Postal Code: 100040
    Tech Country: China
    Tech Phone: +86.18611593115
    Tech Phone Ext:
    Tech Fax: +86.1059320800
    Tech Fax Ext:
    Tech Email: [email protected]
    Name Server: NS1.1MOBILE.COM
    Name Server: NS2.1MOBILE.COM
    DNSSEC: unsigned
    URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
    Last update of WHOIS database: 2014-07-25T21:00:00Z
    <<

Yes safe as houses

Sent from 2AD743B7 via Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks for the swift response.

Actually I was reading few comments that anti virus or app scanner is must if installing any android app from amazon store or 1mobile market.

Is it really must or simply ignore it?

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    08-17-14 06:01 AM
    Well, when advising my niece (see elsewhere) on her new phone, I've got her to download the Amazon App Store, told her about Snap, but definitely not told her about 1Mobile. Draw your own conclusions.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 06:14 AM
    Keep in mind that the latest Snowden leak shows the NSA having the capability to hack computers to make cyber attacks appear as if they are coming from a foreign country...so whether these are actually Chinese cyber attacks or if this is being done to make China look bad is still unclear.

Posted via CB10
    oldguy102 likes this.
    08-17-14 08:55 AM
    Keep in mind that the latest Snowden leak shows the NSA having the capability to hack computers to make cyber attacks appear as if they are coming from a foreign country...so whether these are actually Chinese cyber attacks or if this is being done to make China look bad is still unclear.

Posted via CB10
    seriously? its not unclear. Its the record of the account owner for 1moble. Noone hacked the records. SMDH
    08-17-14 11:40 AM
    Using the principle of "you can sue where the money is" Amazon is likely to be as safe as Playstore or any of the other western sources.

It appears that the risk attached to 1mobile is significantly higher. Google "1mobile malware" and make your own judgement, but personally I wouldn't trust anything from that site. Also lookup the ownership of 1mobile and ask yourself which country is suspected of supporting most of the hacking attacks against western systems.

>> whois 1mobile.com
    Domain Name: 1MOBILE.COM
    Registry Domain ID: 82841245_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
    Registrar URL: Domain Names | The World's Largest Domain Name Registrar - GoDaddy
    Update Date: 2013-12-23 22:32:23
    Creation Date: 2002-01-21 19:25:14
    Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2015-01-21 19:25:14
    Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
    Registrar IANA ID: 146
    Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
    Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.480-624-2505
    Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
    Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited
    Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited
    Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited
    Registry Registrant ID:
    Registrant Name: Kunlun Kunlun
    Registrant Organization: Kunlun Wanwei Keji Gufen Youxian Gongsi
    Registrant Street: Beijing
    Registrant Street: Xicheng District
    Registrant City: Beijing
    Registrant State/Province: Beijing
    Registrant Postal Code: 100040
    Registrant Country: China
    Registrant Phone: +86.18611593115
    Registrant Phone Ext:
    Registrant Fax: +86.1059320800
    Registrant Fax Ext:
    Registrant Email: [email protected]
    Registry Admin ID:
    Admin Name: Kunlun Kunlun
    Admin Organization: Kunlun Wanwei Keji Gufen Youxian Gongsi
    Admin Street: Beijing
    Admin Street: Xicheng District
    Admin City: Beijing
    Admin State/Province: Beijing
    Admin Postal Code: 100040
    Admin Country: China
    Admin Phone: +86.18611593115
    Admin Phone Ext:
    Admin Fax: +86.1059320800
    Admin Fax Ext:
    Admin Email: [email protected]
    Registry Tech ID:
    Tech Name: Kunlun Kunlun
    Tech Organization: Kunlun Wanwei Keji Gufen Youxian Gongsi
    Tech Street: Beijing
    Tech Street: Xicheng District
    Tech City: Beijing
    Tech State/Province: Beijing
    Tech Postal Code: 100040
    Tech Country: China
    Tech Phone: +86.18611593115
    Tech Phone Ext:
    Tech Fax: +86.1059320800
    Tech Fax Ext:
    Tech Email: [email protected]
    Name Server: NS1.1MOBILE.COM
    Name Server: NS2.1MOBILE.COM
    DNSSEC: unsigned
    URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
    Last update of WHOIS database: 2014-07-25T21:00:00Z
    <<
    Thanks for saying what I was thinking. While I have little doubt that Amazon is tracking every move you make with the files you download, I'm hoping it does not go beyond that.

But what can be done with the modules the are in the other packages? Track visits, probably, potentially copy emails and file, possibly. Grab passwords, who knows. They have to do something to enable apps to run without the Google Services but what they do or can do in order to accomplish that??????????????????
    08-17-14 11:57 PM
    1 Mobile, uninstalled.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    08-18-14 12:09 AM
    Thanks for saying what I was thinking. While I have little doubt that Amazon is tracking every move you make with the files you download, I'm hoping it does not go beyond that.

But what can be done with the modules the are in the other packages? Track visits, probably, potentially copy emails and file, possibly. Grab passwords, who knows. They have to do something to enable apps to run without the Google Services but what they do or can do in order to accomplish that??????????????????
    The thing about 1mobile that scares me is the number of reports (see suggested google search in my first post above) suggesting it hosts software which is not what it appears at first glance. It is easy to rebadge a malicious download as something innocent and probably not too difficult to add a few "special extras" to an install package. There were reports recently for this kind of activity targeting asian e-banking apps. When it has been installed... too late, your device is (potentially) already owned.

The worst you will generally see from Amazon or G/Play is a few cookies, and *very* occasionally something bad which slipped through screening. These are $million companies on the US markets, they know the commercial harm which would follow from hosting malware and allowing it to remain after first reports, so removal is usually rapid.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-18-14 02:48 AM
    I only recommend snap and amazon.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    08-18-14 03:12 AM
    I seem to always have issues with apps from 1mobile market for some reason. As far as amazon goes they seem to work better.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 05:42 AM
    Hi friends

I have un installed the 1mobile market after seeing comment from many of users.

Should I un installed the app too which I had installed from 1mobile market(app is rediffmail NG)??

Kindly advise.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 08:00 AM
    Hi friends

I have un installed the 1mobile market after seeing comment from many of users.

Should I un installed the app too which I had installed from 1mobile market(app is rediffmail NG)??

Kindly advise.

Posted via CB10
    You have to make that decision. Is the app available form Amazon or using Snap (the google play store provides those apps). Do you NEED that app?
    08-18-14 09:49 AM
    Any thoughts on Mobogenie?

"Hip to be Square" - Huey Lewis and the News
    08-18-14 10:34 AM
    Or apktoid?
    08-18-14 03:01 PM
    both of those are not direct from the playstore and therefore would have the same risks as downloading random bar/apk files off the net.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-18-14 03:36 PM
    To be honest, I uninstalled 1 Mobile only recently and started to use Amazon Appstore, I have to say that I am completely disappointed with Amazon app store. It runs slow as a duck on my Z30, way way slower than snap and 1Mobile.

This makes me want to install back 1Mobile app, which has so much more features and still runs faster.

What's the real risk here with 1Mobile app? copying my contact info? Copying my BlackBerry password? Steal my credit card number?

Could anyone explain?

08-20-14 05:29 PM
    I use Amazon and I just downloaded Aptoid store which works well.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 06:40 PM
    My order of operations are as follows: BlackBerry World, Amazon, Snap ( only reason Snap isn't before Amazon is that Amazon apps never need Google Play integration) From a pure app perspective Snap is very slick. It works great.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 06:51 PM
    They're both secure, depending on what you download, just like on a Windows computer.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 07:02 PM
    I think the bottom line is that in terms of the phone itself being infected, that BB10 is likely safer for a whole variety of reasons, no matter WHERE you get your apps from. I have not heard yet of BB10 itself being infected with malware.

That said, there are all kinds of bad things that an app can do to you without infecting your phone. BlackBerry does have a malware/spyware scanner called Guardian that is currently in use in BlackBerry World. It will be in use in Amazon's app store when it is included with 10.3. It will NOT be in use for apps from other sources, and that includes 1mobile.
    08-20-14 07:06 PM
    To be honest, I uninstalled 1 Mobile only recently and started to use Amazon Appstore, I have to say that I am completely disappointed with Amazon app store. It runs slow as a duck on my Z30, way way slower than snap and 1Mobile.

This makes me want to install back 1Mobile app, which has so much more features and still runs faster.

What's the real risk here with 1Mobile app? copying my contact info? Copying my BlackBerry password? Steal my credit card number?

Could anyone explain?

I think the issue is that in order to get apps to work without Google's various services, the apps are "recompiled" (re-written). Amazon obviously has one way to do that. As noted, they are a publicly traded company with lots to lose if they allowed apps to "borrow" certain info and ship it off to who-knows-where. Now this does not mean they are not data-mining our locations, our interests what apps we use. But maybe they don't read our emails or check for credit card info when using the internet for purchases.

On the other hand, the other outfits are not subject to any limitations. So, once you give an app permission for the internet (or with Android apps, we have little or no control over any PERMISSIONS), anything on your phone could be fair game and shipped to anyone, anywhere. Make a purchase and that might be recorded?????????????

All SPECULATION - yup. But it can give one pause
    08-20-14 08:14 PM