Does BlackBerry provide software updates outside of the carrier? Through BlackBerry Link?

The reason I ask is that in the future, certain carriers may not carry future phones. But it seems as though BlackBerry will be selling them directly. So how are software updates going to work?

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 07:40 AM
    Well software updates are always available HERE
    08-16-14 08:38 AM
    Well software updates are always available HERE
    I do enjoy playing with leaks and official software (ahead of Verizon's lengthy vetting process) that I find here on Crackberry. But what does BlackBerry expect users to do if they buy a GSM Passport on ShopCrackberry and no US GSM carriers carry it?

If there's a BlackBerry CEO who could force pushed updates from BlackBerry's own servers as Apple does, I'd imagine Chen would be the man to do it.

Isn't this a potentially major issue?

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 10:28 AM
    Might have just answered my own question:
    Attachment 291128

I guess BlackBerry will be offering downloads through their website or through BlackBerry Link. I hope they'll find a way to push updates over the network as well.

p.s. Can a mod delete my second screenshot? I tried deleting it but it didn't work. CB10.
    Attached Thumbnails Non-carrier Software Updates?-img_20140816_103718.png  
    08-16-14 10:37 AM
    I guess BlackBerry will be offering downloads through their website or through BlackBerry Link. I hope they'll find a way to push updates over the network as well.
    Have you tried this yet? If it works then why hasn't this been on the homepage of Crackberry? This is major news if BlackBerry no longer needs the carriers to do OS updates.
    08-16-14 10:04 PM
    Have you tried this yet? If it works then why hasn't this been on the homepage of Crackberry? This is major news if BlackBerry no longer needs the carriers to do OS updates.
    I haven't tried it yet, but you can check BlackBerry's home page--it's the first thing.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 10:07 PM
    If you are with a carrier, you will be pushed the updates via the carrier
    If you get your device unlocked, you will be pushed updates directly via BB (meaning any available update for any carrier should go to you, though it doesn't seem to be the case currently.)
    If you have a sim card with a carrier that supports BB, you will receive updates from only them currently, but if not, you will be pushed updates directly from BB
    However, you could always load OS from Link or BB website since 10.0.9.*. It just depends whether it's available to you or not
    08-16-14 10:09 PM
    If you are with a carrier, you will be pushed the updates via the carrier
    If you get your device unlocked, you will be pushed updates directly via BB (meaning any available update for any carrier should go to you, though it doesn't seem to be the case currently.)
    If you have a sim card with a carrier that supports BB, you will receive updates from only them currently, but if not, you will be pushed updates directly from BB
    However, you could always load OS from Link or BB website since 10.0.9.*. It just depends whether it's available to you or not
    What about being on a BB-supported carrier, but updating with Link? Could you officially upgrade through BB before your (slow)carrier has approved the build?

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 10:13 PM
    I bought an unlocked Z10 from Shopblackberry.com. It immediately updated to .2977. I am using the SIM card from my AT&T Q10. The Q10 is on an earlier update. Does that mean that my Z10 will get 10.3.1 before my Q10 will?
    08-16-14 10:19 PM
    I just tried it, it scanned my phone, this is new I've tried this before but only worked with BlackBerry 7 now they incorporated it onto site!

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 10:21 PM
    I just bought a Z30 from BlackBerry directly, let see what OS and if it updates if I don't put a sim card in.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 10:22 PM
    Question what is the latest z30 official software? I'm STA100-5 UNLOCK From blackberry directly and it told me I have the most recent version. I'm running 10.2.1.2997

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 10:23 PM
    BlackBerry 10 Software Updates - New Update Software for BlackBerry Smartphones - US
    For BlackBerry 10 smartphones

There are three ways to update your smartphone software if you are running BlackBerry� 10.
    1.On the web

2.Using BlackBerry� Link
    3.From your smartphone (over-the-air)

Find your smartphone’s operating system

See below for instructions on how to update. If your BlackBerry smartphone is integrated within an enterprise, check with your IT department to learn about plans for updating.

Update on the web

To see if you have the most recent software, or if there are updates available, connect your smartphone to your computer via USB and click the button below.

Check for Updates

Please note: Until the update is complete, you will not be able to use your BlackBerry smartphone. Should you unplug or cancel the update process before completion, your smartphone may be unusable and you may need to restart the update process to regain use of your device.
    08-16-14 10:24 PM
    What about being on a BB-supported carrier, but updating with Link? Could you officially upgrade through BB before your (slow)carrier has approved the build?

Posted via CB10
    No. Even through Link, your SIM still determines what OS you get - the one officially supported by your carrier.

Unless, as already mentioned, you have a true factory unlocked phone (not one that was sold locked to a specific carrier but later unlocked either by you or by your carrier). Then, you would get the latest BlackBerry released OS. Either way, you get them OTA, or through Link

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 11:48 PM
    No. Even through Link, your SIM still determines what OS you get - the one officially supported by your carrier.

Unless, as already mentioned, you have a true factory unlocked phone (not one that was sold locked to a specific carrier but later unlocked either by you or by your carrier). Then, you would get the latest BlackBerry released OS. Either way, you get them OTA, or through Link

Posted via CB10
    You can get them now through the site like I posted before. Now read my post before

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 11:54 PM
    This works...BUT it still only allows for the latest version that your carrier supports.

For us t-mobile customers, I would prefer BlackBerry treat us like we had a factory unlocked handset since t-mobile have confirmed that they will not be releasing ANY New BlackBerry software releases!

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 07:04 AM
    You can get them now through the site like I posted before. Now read my post before

Posted via CB10
    As GJW says, the same conditions apply - you still only get what your carrier supports.

I read your post, and I've been to that page on the BlackBerry site that's been there for at least a year (as long as I've had my Z10).

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 07:21 AM
    This works...BUT it still only allows for the latest version that your carrier supports.
    That's too bad to hear. That means that for most people it's not going to be much different. It seems that getting factory unlocked phones is the way to go.

IMO it's just a better user experience to get OS updates directly from the OS company rather than wait on the carriers. Even for the popular phones it still takes the carriers too long to release OS updates. When new OS updates are released, the best user experience is to be able to download it on the same day.
    08-17-14 12:47 PM
    ...It seems that getting factory unlocked phones is the way to go... IMO it's just a better user experience to get OS updates directly from the OS company rather than wait on the carriers. Even for the popular phones it still takes the carriers too long to release OS updates.
    Yep. After the wait for upgrades to be released by AT&T when I had a locked Z10, the recent update for my unlocked Z30 was a joy.

Thumb-flicked from my Z30 via CB10
    08-17-14 03:32 PM
    As GJW says, the same conditions apply - you still only get what your carrier supports.

I read your post, and I've been to that page on the BlackBerry site that's been there for at least a year (as long as I've had my Z10).

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I've checked the site throughout the year but they never allowed you to update directly from the site just through BlackBerry Link.... this is actually new since I tried with my z10 a few months ago and the site was different

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 04:07 AM