I apologize in advance if this issue was resolved elsewhere, I tried to look for it first, but then got impatient haha

Basically I just got the 8310 curve from att and it came with the User Tools CD (4.2.2). I installed it and connected the phone, but the media manager (my main reason for using the software) refused to work. I downloaded the updated 4.3 version from blackberry.com hoping this would fix the problem, but to no avail.

I'm running Windows XP, and when I open up Desktop Manager and hit "detect", it finds my phone just fine. The Curve then says that it is connected to the desktop. But when I try to use Media Manager, it says that there is no device connected (even though my phone clearly says that it is connected to the desktop). Hitting refresh doesn't seem to help matters either.

Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure it is something very silly, but I'm so frustrated right now that I don't know what to do. Thanks in advance, and sorry again if this was already addressed elsewhere.
    11-25-07 12:29 AM
    I am having the same problem and i'm using Vista. In addition my media manager just says not responding and freezes. I am highly frustrated as i cannot transfer media. Is there a work arround?
    11-25-07 06:08 AM
    I've kind of had some what of the same problem to an extint... My Desktop manager errors right after i transfer stuff to my BB... Maybe we need to reinstall the program?
    11-25-07 11:01 AM
    Just turn on mass storage mode when you connect it to your pc, then transfer your files directly onto your storage card. Very easy.

I wasted a full day trying to get desktop manager working in Vista, registering .dlls and modifying the registry -- what a nightmare. It is hands down the buggiest installer I have ever seen.
    11-25-07 03:26 PM
    thank you jwcraig. I will certainly do that because the media manager and vista is a waste of blackberry time
    11-25-07 08:15 PM
    I am having the same issue with Media Manager not working... BB and Desktop Manager both say connected but when I open Media Manager, under 'My Devices' is says "Removable Disk (F" and on the right side window it says "There is no device connected. Please connect your device in order to view its contents." I do not have a micro SD card in the slot. Just wanted to copy over some mp3s. I tried to bluetooth them over but it didn't work for some reason either. Bluetoothing mp3 ringtones and pics worked but not full songs.
    11-25-07 08:27 PM
    I had similar problem once or twice and was told to disconnect any usb devices on my computer than might also have storage like card readers, cameras, etc and then reboot the computer with just the connector between BB and the computer connected. It helped me!

Good luck!
    11-25-07 08:42 PM
    Make sure that your bb is set to mass storge device, that is step 1 then pull the battery, and retry to connect again. This is how my bb is set up and media manager works great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-07 09:58 PM
    Thanks, tumbleweed, but it didn't work

These are the settings I have under Options > Media Card:
    Media Card Support: On
    Encrytion Mode: None
    Mass Storage Mode Supprt: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Yes

Does it matter what computer Desktop Manager is installed on? I use my BB for work (BES) but I'm trying to move files from my personal laptop at home.
    11-25-07 10:45 PM
    I had a similar problem with 4.3. ATT told me it was still beta and to download 4.2 service pack and that fixed the problem
    11-26-07 11:50 AM
    I also had this problem with my 8320. I clicked on options in the Desktop Mgr;connection settings and where it says connection: the drop down was set to <none>. I changed it to USB and clicked on detect. I haven't had any problems since.
    11-26-07 02:57 PM
    Well let's hope it is corrected in version 4.3.1
    11-26-07 09:20 PM
    if you have a curve 8310 4.2 can you download 4.3 software and then did you get the video capability in media manager
    12-09-07 08:56 PM
    can anybody say ya or na? help if so
    12-09-07 10:53 PM
    I'm having the exact same prob's as originally posted. 8310 curve that works great, until media manager tries to hook up. It then tells me it's not, device mgr. says it is; set to mass media mode, it is; dnload update 4.3, I did & still doesn't work; all the while freezing up my computer like it's a 286 trying to luanch the shuttle or something.
    No one out there (moderator) have any idea's yet???
    Thanks in advance!
    01-05-08 02:48 PM
    I'm having the exact same prob's as originally posted. 8310 curve that works great, until media manager tries to hook up. It then tells me it's not, device mgr. says it is; set to mass media mode, it is; dnload update 4.3, I did & still doesn't work; all the while freezing up my computer like it's a 286 trying to luanch the shuttle or something.
    No one out there (moderator) have any idea's yet???
    Thanks in advance!
    I know this reply is not going to be very constructive, so forgive me in advance.

Roxio software is basically crap. Use something else, seriously. When they took over that company, about 7yrs ago, they admitted openly in usenet that not one person on their staff knew anything about the NT kernel. It seems, they still don't.

Just a little tidbit, also. T-Mobile offers the Desktop Manager download without Media Manager. That's gotta tell you something, right there.
    Last edited by Strontium; 01-05-08 at 03:06 PM.
    01-05-08 03:03 PM
    When I click Media Manger a box comes up and says:

"The current Display settings do not meet the minimum requirements for this application. Please change the screen resolution to 1024 x 768 pixels or higher, and the color quality to 16-bit or higher."

What this mean?

Someone Please help me =)
    06-11-08 04:10 PM
    I thought I had the same problem however if I wait for a bit, the media manager works
    06-21-08 05:20 AM
    I am having the same problem. I am currently with Alltel, version4.3. It syncs just fine w/computer, but when I pull up Roxio it freezes and says no device detected. I tried everything mentioned and then some to no avail. Finally, I just started using explorer and transfered my musice that way. Really inconvenient for the price. I guess I could email customer service or call, but then what would we talk about in these forums?
    06-21-08 06:06 AM
    Am having Media Mgr problem too. I reinstalled Desk Top Manager and it worked...for awhile. Now's it's back into its original state: inoperable.

Be very interested to hear what others are doing short of throwing the 8310 against the wall.
    06-22-08 02:07 PM
    Remember that if you have Roxio Creator SW installed already and you install 4.3 or 4.5 with the Roxio Manager option it will un-install your Roxio Creator. You will have to install it again. Check for updates. When you start DM and click media manager it will run OK. So will your Roxio Creator.
    Last edited by ChiefT; 06-23-08 at 02:40 PM.
    06-23-08 02:35 PM
    Just a little tidbit, also. T-Mobile offers the Desktop Manager download without Media Manager. That's gotta tell you something, right there.
    TMo is not the only one... RIM has numerous options to choose from when downloading an install for DM.

The most recent version is 4.5... give that a try. Also, set mass storage to 'prompt'. I think the Curve is not supposed to be set in mass storage mode when using Media Manager. I forget, I will have to check when I get home...

It needs mass storage to drag and drop from Windows Explorer... but I forget which setting needs to be on for Media Manager. Experiment and see... try both ways.

I, personally, have never had issues with my Berry mounting to my PC or MediaManager. Disconnect all other USB devices, if possible... make sure you are connecting directly to the PC... not through a USB hub. Give it a whirl
    06-23-08 02:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD