Just reading my twitter feed this morning. One fella who follows tech says that he feels the iPhone 6 needs to be a hit or people will end up with device fatigue...
    Is there a 7 year itch when it comes to using a certain platform? Does Apple need to re-invent the iPhone? Can BlackBerry exploit a weakness here?

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    08-15-14 08:21 AM
    The iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 extra-large will be hits.

Anybody is free to "re-invent" the smartphone... if they can come up with what the next generation of smartphone is suppose to be and them manufacture it at a cost that fit consumers budgets.

See no reason for anyone to think that BlackBerry was in a position to provide some new experience that would meet some "itch". You have looked at their line up of devices ....?
    coachshawks likes this.
    08-15-14 08:55 AM
    Of course Apple will enjoy success with iPhone Air (iPhone 6)

They NEED this to be a hit, they are losing market share every quarter.

Market share growth in the high end segment has stalled. Just ask Samsung.

And with rumblings of an $800 price tag, they'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 09:03 AM
    I am willing to bet they will break sales records with the release of the iPhone 6 and their profit will be there too.

I would just wish Blackberry would come up with a release date for the passport and classic. Maybe for once we can beat them to the punch.

Sent using the CB forums app.
    rai187 and Made in flanders like this.
    08-15-14 09:06 AM
    I actually kind of want an iPhone 6 (the bigger version). I like BlackBerry a lot but I want that iPhone as a side device. It looks really fancy

Posted via CB10
    Made in flanders likes this.
    08-15-14 09:14 AM
    Regardless of how the sales are there is no chance of BlackBerry benefiting. And this will be successful for iPhone as each launch is.

Posted via CB10
    Made in flanders likes this.
    08-15-14 09:22 AM
    They have many people entrenched in the ecosystem. Have the best service and support system of any smartphone maker in the world. They will sell great, and probably better than the 5 or 5s because of the reported larger screens. Apple brand is strong, BlackBerry is not.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Roo Zilla and JeepBB like this.
    08-15-14 09:37 AM
    Samsung is reinventing its phones - to look like iPhones.

I don't know if Apple is going to reinvent the iPhone, however, we can safely assume that if they do, they will not make it wider and thicker.

I'm tired of this iPhone. Give me something more hefty that I need two hands to use and won't fit in my shirt pocket. And, I don't want to use these apps anymore. I just want to look at spreadsheets and MRI scans. And if I turn the phone on its side, I want the screen to look exactly the same - don't make it easier to read or better for viewing media.
    eyesopen1111 and JeepBB like this.
    08-15-14 09:44 AM
    Sadly, this isn't the first time Samsung tried to make their own iPhone copy.
    08-15-14 09:49 AM

I don't know if Apple is going to reinvent the iPhone, however, we can safely assume that if they do, they will not make it wider and thicker.
    That clipped post was drubbing dumbs

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 09:50 AM
    That clipped post was drubbing dumbs
    I'm simply pointing out the fantasy in thinking that just because people may be getting tired of the iPhone that they will start looking at a phone like the Passport just because it's different. That's like saying that some person you are attracted to is going to get tired of their successful good-looking athletic companion and look towards you because you aren't like that at all.
    08-15-14 10:17 AM
    I'm simply pointing out the fantasy in thinking that just because people may be getting tired of the iPhone that they will start looking at a phone like the Passport just because it's different. That's like saying that some person you are attracted to is going to get tired of their successful good-looking athletic companion and look towards you because you aren't like that at all.

Freakin' hilarious!
    red_devil_fan_1999 likes this.
    08-15-14 10:57 AM
    They have many people entrenched in the ecosystem. Have the best service and support system of any smartphone maker in the world. They will sell great, and probably better than the 5 or 5s because of the reported larger screens. Apple brand is strong, BlackBerry is not.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Yep. I know a few people who have had iPhones for a fair few years now but are a bit bored with them (that's just human nature), yet say they are locked in to it because of all the apps particularly. Doesn't mean they won't jump ship, but the barrier to doing so is a bit higher. Apple did this superbly.
    JesseBabe23 likes this.
    08-15-14 10:58 AM
    Yep. I know a few people who have had iPhones for a fair few years now but are a bit bored with them (that's just human nature), yet say they are locked in to it because of all the apps particularly. Doesn't mean they won't jump ship, but the barrier to doing so is a bit higher. Apple did this superbly.
    Agreed.

This is why it's kind of sad to see "little" things like BBM Music go. These serve the same purpose.
    08-15-14 11:01 AM
    I don't agree with this analogy but have to give you mad props for the hilarious images it brings to mind! How many of us back in our skinny, pimply teen years would have loved for this to be the case with our crushes?

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 11:11 AM
    I don't agree with this analogy but have to give you mad props for the hilarious images it brings to mind! How many of us back in our skinny, pimply teen years would have loved for this to be the case with our crushes?

Posted via CB10
    Most disappointing moment of my teenage life....I was working at a small convenience shop, and this vision, this utterly heavenly, gorgeous, stunning creature walks in. Self and colleague go from sulky miserable teenagers to dogs on heat within a millisecond. She walks up to the counter, is pleasantly chatty and says...."What are you doing tonight?". Heart skips a beat, tongue is well and truly tied, all my dreams and aspirations are coming true.....and then realisation dawns.

She just means "are you doing anything interesting over the weekend".

Bollocks. Bloody hell. Dammit. And yes, I am still bitter.
    08-15-14 11:17 AM
    I would love nothing more than to see iSteve dig him self from the grave in order to cook up sales of these fisher price devices. But we all know that's not going to happen. The apple Staff is to long and popular media built strong fences to shield the flock.

In the same respect I'm for whatever gets you through the night. Be it Apple, Android, or a bottle of....sorry, BlackBerry.

BleedBlk-
    08-15-14 11:29 AM
    ...perhaps it's just me, but after eyeballin' the new look of the large, square Passport, all rectangle phones seem so, BORING! They all have the same shape, no matter how big or small. As for APPLE, personally I don't see this new iphone 6 as being anything special. So they are offering bigger sizes, with perhaps over priced stronger screens, along with maybe some internal changes, I really don't see any breathtaking new innovation going on with it. I really believe that the market for iphone will continue to be current iphone users buying all the new, latest APPLE offerings, I don't believe there will be millions of brand new iphone customers buying the phones for the very first time. APPLE is just recycling all of the current users to keep spending into their vortex of smoke and mirrors. Especially now after all of the negative news media revelations related to iphone data breachings, hackings and for sure the Chinese Gov't has already banned their devices for some uses, Russia won't touch APPLE products, and well, we all know how Germany feels about security. I suspect that its only a matter of time now before the rest of the world jumps off of the APPLE train. APPLE will of course pad the numbers as they always do after they have a launch, trying to stimulate interest and drive up stock, but who isn't hip to this trick? They have also been buying back their own stock to jack up the numbers on paper with Wallstreet, ipod sales are almost gone, and ipad sales are dwindling way. Apparently according to the current news reports, American carriers are pushing android phones over iphones because perhaps of APPLEs greed for kick backs/profits. BlackBerry does have a smit of a chance to roll in on this because they are offering something different, and functional with new physical keyboard true innovations, large screen/high performance/security. For sure, whoever does buy a Passport, when they walk into a room and place it on the table/desk, guaranteed that everyone will look at it, then look at their own phones and at least pause for a moment, and that is a BIG step in the right direction!
    JesseBabe23 and melb_me like this.
    08-15-14 11:29 AM
    Every year we think the iPhone won't do so great, that there aren't any big enough changes, every year we think the phone is underwhelming and regardless of whether or not it is, it sells. It will sell again.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 11:34 AM
    I don't think it matters if it's a hit or not apple minions will buy it in droves. It could be the original iPhone labeled iPhone 6 retro. With original spec. And it would still sell and be called the next big thing.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by silversmith75; 08-17-14 at 09:36 AM.
    Loc22 likes this.
    08-15-14 11:42 AM
    Every year we think the iPhone won't do so great, that there aren't any big enough changes, every year we think the phone is underwhelming and regardless of whether or not it is, it sells. It will sell again.

Posted via CB10
    LOL. I see you've been around a while.
    08-15-14 11:44 AM
    If I'm not mistaken, Android is the most popular system right now in terms of sales. I think having the big 2 duking it out would present an opportunity for an fresh alternative.
    Reminds me of an old saying...
    If the money is split on the favourites, bet on the long shot...

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    08-15-14 11:50 AM
    You should consider that there are lots and lots of people out there that were waiting for a bigger iPhone. Whatever you think about it the reality won't change, and the phone will break every record in sales, just as the one before did, and it will have more sales in a few weekends that all BBOS10 devices combined had in almost two years.

It's sad for BlackBerry but that's the world we live in.
    eyesopen1111 and Flatman like this.
    08-15-14 11:53 AM
    Of course the iPhone 6 doesn't need to be a homerun. Many Blackberry fans are anticipating Apple to release one bad product and for the entire company to go plop. That's not how real life works.

Blackberry didn't go from its peak to where it is now in a year. In the same vein, Apple has lots of time to hash out a new product even if consumers get "bored".
    FRG_RC likes this.
    08-15-14 11:57 AM
    Sorry, but just because the iPhone doesn't look that different from year to year doesn't mean that Apple isn't innovating - that's a pretty superficial way for a tech enthusiast to evaluate a smartphone. Does it have to look radically different in order to be innovative?

I would make a list of iPhone innovations, however, nothing is more boring and meaningless than someone repeatedly saying "that's a gimmick...who needs that?" or "someone else did that already." Yeah, we know. You used it several years ago and found it useless.

Companies try radical physical changes when they are floundering like Palm or Blackberry. There's nothing wrong with that. Palm didn't have much to lose in 2009 so they made the slider phone shaped like a river stone. It was so innovative that it won CES Best of Show before it flopped. Then they made an oval candy bar phone and tiny slider phone. They even had a bigger phone in the works before they were put out of their misery.

Blackberry is making their flagship too big to be a comfortable smartphone and too small to be a useful tablet. That's OK. What does Blackberry have to lose at this point? The 22% of its sales volume that it has left compared to last year?

Successful companies with successful products innovate incrementally. It would be insane to radically change a successful product unless the competition is having success with something new at your expense. The more strategic thing to do is to strengthen your ecosystem lock-in and spin off new products to your existing customers. If you innovate on the inside then you can get your repeat customers and still lead the market in features.

Getting back to the OP, does iPhone 6 need to be a home run? Not if your team is 3 runs ahead. All you need to do is get on base and perhaps steal 2nd. Chances are that the iPhone 6 will sell more the first week than Blackberry sells the entire year.
    TGR1, FRG_RC, dragyn451 and 7 others like this.
    08-15-14 12:14 PM
114 123 ...