While the new report mentioned that Blackberry has gained some in Asia and North America compared to previous quarters, it also shows that 2Q14 shipments dropped 78% from 2Q13. How in this world can BB reached 10 million units to stay afloat?

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS25037214
    08-14-14 03:57 PM
    For starters, volumes have increased which is a good thing.

Another thing to note is when was the last time a new BlackBerry phone came out? This could possibly explain something.
    08-14-14 04:04 PM
    We are talking shipments here not market share. As stated above its been a while since BlackBerry had a phone release so wait til the results after passport and classic are released to get a more realistic figure no?

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 04:09 PM
    Following three consecutive quarters of sequential decline, BlackBerry volumes have REBOUNDED slightly from the previous quarter, but remain 78.0% lower than shipment levels from a year ago. In keeping with its strategy, BlackBerry saw IMPROVEMENTS within one of its KEY markets, Asia/Pacific, as well as SOME GAINS among ENTERPRISE users within North America and Western Europe.

I used captioning to underline the important parts of the release. YES sales aren't that of corresponding quarter but seeing no new devices (apart from the limited release of the Z3)arrived and NO marketing was done, it's pretty good news . With the two other devices rolling out this year and continued release of the Z3 we can expect to see better numbers at end of this financial year.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    08-14-14 04:14 PM
    We are talking shipments here not market share. As stated above its been a while since BlackBerry had a phone release so wait til the results after passport and classic are released to get a more realistic figure no?

Posted via CB10
    That's not true, Blackberry released the Z3. I think the Z3 was better poised to grab marketshare than the Passport or Classic will. The Z3 is a low end device targeted at Blackberry's most popular markets. The Passport and Classic are targeted at developing markets that have already proven indifferent towards BB10 and are too expensive for emerging markets.

Fans tend to forget about Blackberry "savior" phones as soon as they are released. IMO, the insignificant impact of the Z3 is a big negative for Blackberry with regards to the chances of a comeback. On a positive note, I think there will be future BB10 phones after the Classic and Passport even if they flop (despite many observers thinking otherwise). The Z30 and Z3 indicate Blackberry is committed to BB10 hardware in the short or intermediate term.
    Minhaaj Rehman likes this.
    08-14-14 04:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    We keep saying the same thing as last year, "let's wait for the release of the Q10, Z30, etc etc". The Passport is a niche product not expected to sell in any meaningful number
    08-14-14 04:27 PM
    I think the numbers are doing exactly what Chen wants them to do. He's focused on enterprise mobile security and qnx on devices ( Internet of things) in health care, automotive and elsewhere. We'll see if it works.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 11:31 PM
    While the new report mentioned that Blackberry has gained some in Asia and North America compared to previous quarters, it also shows that 2Q14 shipments dropped 78% from 2Q13. How in this world can BB reached 10 million units to stay afloat?

Worldwide Smartphone Shipments Edge Past 300 Million Units in the Second Quarter; Android and iOS Devices Account for 96% of the Global Market, According to IDC - prUS25037214
    Please visit

http://press.blackberry.com/content/...ss_Release.pdf

And read:

During the first quarter, the Company recognized hardware revenue on approximately 1.6
    million BlackBerry smartphones compared to approximately 1.3 million BlackBerry smartphones in the previousquarter. During the first quarter, approximately 2.6 million BlackBerry smartphones were sold through to end customers, which included shipments made and recognized prior to the first quarter and which reduced the Company’s inventory in channel.

I hate statistics for obvious reasons, but I would like to share my view on the handsets business:

1. When we compare Q1 FY2015 with Q4 FY2014, then, voil�, we suddenly observe a postive trend!

2. For FY2015 a massive inventory write-off is not expected. In the previous fiscal year was a terrible write-off over $934 million for unsold Z10s.

3. I actually don't know if John Chen was thinking of a very foggy "10 millions per year shipped" or a transparent and rocksolid "10 millions per year sold to end customers at a profitable price", but I assume in the end only the latter will count.
    If we see a stable enduser demand of 2,5 million handsets/quarter, then sooner or later (depending on the inventory), everything should be green.

Go BlackBerry!!!
    Last edited by Superdupont 2_0; 08-15-14 at 04:53 AM.
    08-15-14 03:27 AM
    I think the numbers are doing exactly what Chen wants them to do. He's focused on enterprise mobile security and qnx on devices ( Internet of things) in health care, automotive and elsewhere. We'll see if it works.

Posted via CB10
    And meanwhile Microsoft is poised to eat into huge chunks of the enterprise market.
    The only thing blackberry shines at right now is with bes10. I cannot be optimistic about hardware right now.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    08-15-14 04:22 AM
    Interesting to see Chen maneuver. Handsets are one part of the equation, and from Chen's previous statements, may not be a big part in the end.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 10:37 AM
    Don't forget that in these shipments we have to take into account that BBOS sales will have continued to plummet. For BlackBerry to show an overall increase they have to replace those BBOS sales AND sell more BB10. So a 15% rise overall will have meant a much higher than that increase in BB10 sales. No it's not grounds for celebration, but it is mildly promising.
    08-15-14 10:48 AM
    Most of Android's strength this quarter was fueled by gains in the low (US$100<US$200) and ultra low-end (<US$100) of the market, seeing those categories grow 16.5% sequentially since the first quarter.
    IDC

Real shame that Chen couldn't deliver on a device that really could be sold in the low end of the market. Really don't know what the capabilities of a $125+/- Android powered smartphone are. But they do seem to be making an impact on the market.

Seems as if everyone (Apple, Microsoft and even BlackBerry) is selling more devices from the previous quarter, it's just with Android's growth being to fast..... they are all still losing marketshare.
    08-20-14 09:18 AM
    Is the Z3 seeing any kind of success? Its like they released it and then it was forgotten about. Are there any numbers on how sales of it have been?
    08-20-14 09:21 AM
    AFAIK, we haven't heard anything about Z3 sales from anywhere, beyond the initial batch being "sold out" in Indonesia at launch (no info on how large that initial batch was). I suspect we aren't going to hear anything until the next quarterly report.
    08-20-14 10:29 AM
    AFAIK, we haven't heard anything about Z3 sales from anywhere, beyond the initial batch being "sold out" in Indonesia at launch (no info on how large that initial batch was). I suspect we aren't going to hear anything until the next quarterly report.
    Doubt we'll hear even then. Probably just break out BBOS vs BB10 numbers. Z3 was suppose to be the BB10 Moto G, an affordable full-touch screen for emerging markets but with the Z10 price reductions and the higher than expected launch prices $200+ it often makes sense to go Z10 instead of Z3.
    08-20-14 11:24 AM
    We did get a report on India also Retailers in India have sold through their initial stock of the BlackBerry Z3 | CrackBerry.com. The initial sellout in India was based on 25K - 30K devices.

But yeah the news on the Z3 has gone very quite... and even checking the Google Trends for BlackBerry the Z3 doesn't even show up under BlackBerry.
    08-20-14 01:01 PM
    The shipment levels from a year ago were unsold Z10s. Not a worthwhile statistic if you don't look at the context lol...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    08-20-14 01:13 PM