Edit: "BlackBerry BBM Protected" of course.
    Good news! The initial rollout was only for corporate-only activations, now the rest of us can enjoy intra-company encrypted BBM w/ Balance-activated BBs.

I am currently using BlackBerry Enterprise Instant Messenger which requires Lync or Office Communicator infrastructure in the back end. Granted this also leverages other features of the Microsoft products, but it's great that we now have native end-to-end BlackBerry choices.

Apparently all it takes to enable BlackBerry Protected is to assign the appropriated IT policy to the user on the BES. Unlike regular BBM, the encryption keys stay within your organization, meaning that the encryption cannot be easily circumvented by third parties. BlackBerry's NOC does not generate the keys.

Something to try!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by webmeister; 08-12-14 at 09:55 PM. Reason: wrong title
    08-12-14 03:21 PM
    Can Silver perpetual license enable this or do we have to upgrade to gold? It wasn?t clear to me when reading the BlackBerry website about BBM Protected.
    08-12-14 05:57 PM
    Silver

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 08:16 PM
    I enable BBM Protected on an IT policy for my family members and pushed it to the devices. Next time my brother and I chatted in BBM, BBM generated a passphrase which it then prompted me to transmit to my brother out-of-band, using either text message, email or "tell them". Once he put in the passphrase, we were chatting as before but now benefiting from the higher encryption and the BES infrastructure's safeguarding of our encryption keys. Very easy and intuitive and a great enterprise-class feature for the newly focused BlackBerry.

Good job!
    08-12-14 09:59 PM
    I enable BBM Protected on an IT policy for my family members and pushed it to the devices. Next time my brother and I chatted in BBM, BBM generated a passphrase which it then prompted me to transmit to my brother out-of-band, using either text message, email or "tell them". Once he put in the passphrase, we were chatting as before but now benefiting from the higher encryption and the BES infrastructure's safeguarding of our encryption keys. Very easy and intuitive and a great enterprise-class feature for the newly focused BlackBerry.

Good job!
    Sweet! Guess I have something to do tonight!
    08-12-14 10:20 PM
    Hm, I don't know why, but in our company it is not working, yes, we had the policy always activated....

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 01:00 PM
    Hm, I don't know why, but in our company it is not working, yes, we had the policy always activated....

Posted via CB10
    It seemed to take several hours before it took effect for me.

I still don't see the lock icon by the list of contacts or list of existing chats for people on BBM Protect, but I see the "Protected. Enter a message" prompt in blue when communicating with another person with BBM Protect.

In BBM Groups I see the lock icon.
    08-20-14 04:02 PM
    We have activated the policy a long time ago (months), but still there is no prompt or "lock symbol" nothing. Most devices in our company are in balance mode, some in work+personal regulated, some regulated. We have silver and gold licenses and some devices with emm dataplan.

But with absolute NO device BBM Protected is working.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 10:04 PM
    @deiop: have you installed the latest version of BBM? It is needed in addition to associating the BBM protected IT policy to the users. Also, you should consider resending the policy to the users' devices.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 10:10 PM
    All done. Latest BBM on all devices, resent policy a couple of times... I have no idea.

MAYBE BlackBerry shuts down the protected service after a some time of activated policy???? I don't know.

On Monday I will reboot the whole infrastructure, maybe it is fixed then.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 11:36 PM
    Did the complete Reboot of all Systems - now it works :-)

Deiop with Q10 / 10.3
    webmeister and aaasingh like this.
    08-24-14 06:16 AM

Deiop with Q10 / 10.3
    Wow. Pixie dust and magic. Glad it works for you but that sounds like a Microsoft-ish way of troubleshooting! LOL.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 09:37 PM

Deiop with Q10 / 10.3
    Wow -We've been having the same issue i'll give it a go and let the group know.
    08-26-14 12:48 PM
    deiop: THANK YOU! a restart of BES worked for us. I'm not sure why it takes a restart blackberry support was very unhelpful in regards to this issue.
    webmeister likes this.
    08-26-14 05:37 PM