How many of you have had job interviews by webcam and they use Skype?

Seriously what's the appeal with Skype? I hate it, I think Skype is seedy and promiscuous personally. Why don't businesses realise their enterprise of choice has the ability to provide security to their clients using cross country connectivity?

Posted via CB10
    Moazzam Shahid likes this.
    08-11-14 05:49 PM
    People actually get job interviews through Skype?
    chiefqualakon likes this.
    08-11-14 05:53 PM
    That's news to me.
    08-11-14 08:09 PM
    I've done phone interviews, but never Skype. That seems a bit strange.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 08:56 PM
    Interviews by videochat are far from new.

It's especially useful for remote interviews by committee. When hiring freelancers that work across the globe, it can be a useful tool.

Skype works for people because it's relatively cheap and has name recognition. The sooner BBRY puts out a decent competitor, the better. The other platforms have good solutions already.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-11-14 09:19 PM

Seriously what's the appeal with Skype? I hate it, I think Skype is seedy and promiscuous personally. Why don't businesses realise their enterprise of choice has the ability to provide security to their clients using cross country connectivity?

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you on not liking Skype, and thinking that enterprises should usse something more secure. However "seedy & promiscuous"?

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 09:58 PM
    People actually get job interviews through Skype?
    I know I did

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 05:50 AM
    The company I've worked for in the past use IBM lotusnotes and "sametime" chat apps on their corporate computers

Mind you, these IBM services crash and give strange errors ALL the time (if you open sametime first, you can't get your emails)

The only video conferencing I've seen done before is through Skype but thats because there wasn't an approved corporate method...

Hopefully when they build their new eBBM suite video conferencing is part of it

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30
    08-12-14 12:15 PM
    BBM needs a decent desktop program, then we can talk about going up against Skype.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 01:20 PM
    My rant for today. Re: the title of this thread. BlackBerry is a company, an entity. While it may contain many people, it is a company, singular! The title needs to say BlackBerry NEEDS to compete. You would never say: That bus are going too fast just because the bus contains several people. So when referring to BlackBerry or any other company or team, etc., It should be: BlackBerry is, BlackBerry does, etc. This is not a personal criticism of the OP, I have been fuming over this for a long time. The person who started this is deserving of forty whacks.
    08-12-14 03:56 PM
    This is the future! And yes I once did an Job interview by skype!! This is something BlackBerry should consider. Good point OP.

Z10 10.2.2.xxxx
    08-12-14 06:34 PM
    I really cannot see one doing a job interview video conference on a smartphone, though. I'd think the Skype interview would've been done with the interviewee using a desktop or laptop PC. BlackBerry doesn't have anything similar to Skype that is available for Windows, OS X, and Linux.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    08-12-14 06:47 PM
    Google Hangouts is really good we use it everyday for meetings with our remote employees. It's great because it's allows multi person video and audio, has screen sharing.

Posted via my Q10
    08-12-14 07:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    Don't hate Skype. I'll always need a backup in the competitors when BBM is down,
    08-12-14 07:55 PM
    Since Microsoft has bought them things went downhill very fast.I can't even turn off that stupid auto update service, which is making me furious.
    08-12-14 08:20 PM
    I really cannot see one doing a job interview video conference on a smartphone, though. I'd think the Skype interview would've been done with the interviewee using a desktop or laptop PC. BlackBerry doesn't have anything similar to Skype that is available for Windows, OS X, and Linux.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    Maybe not directly on the smartphone per se. But a BB10 device mirrored to a bigger display while still using the front facing camera for video is possible.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    08-13-14 12:03 AM
    Maybe not directly on the smartphone per se. But a BB10 device mirrored to a bigger display while still using the front facing camera for video is possible.

Posted with X10 via CB10

That would work, especially if the interviewee didn't have a webcam. 😊

However, if I were the interviewer, I'd expect the interviewee to be sitting at a desk and looking professional, not on the sofa, outside or in the car.
    08-13-14 12:10 AM
    That would work, especially if the interviewee didn't have a webcam. 😊

However, if I were the interviewer, I'd expect the interviewee to be sitting at a desk and looking professional, not on the sofa, outside or in the car.
    So no casting couch then?

Posted with X10 via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-13-14 12:11 AM