I remember being at work in the evening and getting no tweets, not texts, no emails or no BBM on my BBOS 6 curve device.

I actually felt completely isolated from the world I rang up o2. I didn't see any news and I didn't have wifi available.

And just a few months before BBM was the main tool which fuelled the London riots of 2011. 2011 was a dark year for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 05:34 PM
    Yes... the great "global" crash which had many US based trolls claiming their businesses were ruined although the US/Canada based servers and worldwide BES continued to operate normally.

Oh, and the riots which were important for a few days at local level but insignificant nationally, perpetrated by lowlife scum who broadcast their offenses but didn't have the intelligence to set a password on their devices and lock out the cops. BlackBerry didn't fuel anything but it did help round up the perpetrators. The most useful intel gleaned from BB devices came within minutes or hours directly from the pockets of arrested criminals, not days later when warrants were executed to trace the contacts of the initial prisoners.
    08-11-14 07:38 PM
    Ah yes, the dreaded global crash
    Actually the first time in a long while that I saw people actually communicating with each other with almost no phones in sight

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 08:02 PM
    We are calling it that now? Thought it was simply a temporary service outage.

Posted via my STA100-5 z30
    08-11-14 08:05 PM
    remember when whatsapp was down a few weeks ago
    tjseaman likes this.
    08-11-14 08:15 PM
    We are calling it that now? Thought it was simply a temporary service outage
    It was temporary, but media attention portrayed it as something far more spectacular than the reality. It was the only service outage to have non-BB users in non-affected regions claim they were dumping BlackBerry and moving to alternate devices.
    bintheredundat likes this.
    08-11-14 08:17 PM
    Ironically that outage is what convinced me to get a BlackBerry because SMS et al are routed through BlackBerry's servers. I loved BBM from the first moment I used it on my first cell phone which I got for work. Plus no one ever talks much about when cellular carrier networks go down.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 08:21 PM
    Wasn't Facebook just down? Oh that doesn't matter!

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    08-12-14 06:12 AM
    Wasn't Facebook just down? Oh that doesn't matter!

Posted via CB10
    Apparently it does.

Facebook Down: People Call Police in Los Angeles - TIME
    MarsupilamiX and step07 like this.
    08-12-14 06:28 AM
    Leuten up guys.

At that time I remember working for a brand design company. It was 2011. I was a diehard Apple Fan boy. And I had. A co-worker which I hated. He was an arrogant BlackBerry Fan boy mocking us as iSheeps all the time.

Then the big World Crush came and I smirked at him a lot. I remember that the 2 CEOs came up with free apps and an apology. But in the media it really came as a world crush.

Now, I know that my former Co worker was alright and I understand him. BlackBerry was about to go down with many bad decisions. It was the time where I started to see that iPhone was a mass phone.

I once went with him into a electronic media store. We both saw the Bold 9900. We were both impressed. That's when I made the switch 100% to BlackBerry.

I once contacted my former Co worker earlier this year. He switched to Android.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 07:10 AM
    I remember the people who said over 2 years ago that BlackBerry wouldn't be around in 6 months.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 08:51 AM
    I remember being at work in the evening and getting no tweets, not texts, no emails or no BBM on my BBOS 6 curve device.

Ironically that outage is what convinced me to get a BlackBerry because SMS et al are routed through BlackBerry's servers.
    Both of you are wrong: SMS messages are completely separated from the BlackBerry Infrastructure and is transmitted directly via the carrier network(s) to the recipient. When the BBI was out all BB devices was capable of voice and texting.

As you probably remember, it took days before BB finally made a comment. It was the old management team and NOBODY was allowed to say ANYTHING unless approved by HQ in Canada.

I had a good contact within BB in UK at the time and he was kind enough to let me know that a Cisco router was defective and the failover did not happen. It took 4 hours to fix the issue and restart some systems, but the backlog of messages was so huge, that they had to throttle messages during the next days.

As far as I remember they prioritized BES traffic before BIS and BBM (which was enabled in several steps).

Oh yes.... the good old times when BlackBerry was bigger and at LOT more arrogant (mangement wise). The new BlackBerry is completely different.
    bintheredundat likes this.
    08-13-14 12:05 PM
    Don't down play the outage. It happened on almost every planet!
    Anyone remember The Great BlackBerry Global Crash?-img_20140813_121838.png

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 12:20 PM
    Don't down play the outage. It happened on almost every planet!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140813_121838.png 
Views:	386 
Size:	438.5 KB 
ID:	290533

Posted via CB10
    LOL!

I can't believe BlackBerry is still even around...they still make those? :s

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 12:22 PM
    I remember shortly after I got my first BB (the 9700 in 2009) there was an outage, but not as big as the global one a couple years later. I was so mad because I had switched to BlackBerry from the Sidekick platform because of the Great Sidekick Outage of 2009 that ate up several thousands of users' data. That outage was ultimately the final nail in the Sidekick coffin. I thought I was just bad luck! By the time the big one hit, I was switching between my 9700 and an Android device, so when that hit I just used my Android until it was fixed. Luckily none of the BB outages resulted in more than a mere inconvenience for me.
    08-13-14 02:09 PM
    I remember shortly after I got my first BB (the 9700 in 2009) there was an outage, but not as big as the global one a couple years later. I was so mad because I had switched to BlackBerry from the Sidekick platform because of the Great Sidekick Outage of 2009 that ate up several thousands of users' data. That outage was ultimately the final nail in the Sidekick coffin. I thought I was just bad luck! By the time the big one hit, I was switching between my 9700 and an Android device, so when that hit I just used my Android until it was fixed. Luckily none of the BB outages resulted in more than a mere inconvenience for me.
    One of the problems with the 4-8 hour outage was the backlog of messages. The BBI could be considered as a "huge router with buffer/memory if the package could not be delivered right away".

As far as I can conclude, RIM had to process them. If they were deleted, emails for enterprise users would have been delayed for 7 days. This was as far as I remember the "timeout" BES used for a package delivered to the BBI before it was concidered lost. I don't even know if it was retransmitted or not after the 7 days.
    08-13-14 02:22 PM

I actually felt completely isolated from the world I rang up o2. I didn't see any news and I didn't have wifi available.

And just a few months before BBM was the main tool which fuelled the London riots of 2011. 2011 was a dark year for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    OK seriously. Is this thread meant to just create a little shock and awe?

I recall the service outage but OP please advise how BlackBerry was responsible for you not getting news nor receiving tweets nor getting text messages.

Oh and bbm didn't fuel the riots. Idiots with a shortage of brain cells did.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 03:52 PM
    For some reason, I've never experienced an outage on Whatsapp. Even when friends complain and I see articles, my messages still get delivered.

Posted via CB10 on Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2228
    08-13-14 04:23 PM
    The media always has a way of wording and escalating things. "... On EVERY PLANET?

Posted via CB10 on Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2228
    08-13-14 04:25 PM
    Yes I remember, in Greece we were out of service for something more than 2 days.

Sent from my Z 30
    08-13-14 04:39 PM
    At that time i owned np BlackBerry but i cud hear friends/collegues talking bout the crash

Z10 stl-1/10.3.0.700
    08-13-14 04:53 PM
    Yes I remember it. Gave the company a black eye and exposed the weakness of BIS devices and the architecture.

I also remember the DC earthquake a few years ago and the cell phone systems being crushed with text and voice traffic and BBM being the only reliable way to communicate for hours.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    08-13-14 05:48 PM