OK so I've been complaining a lot as of late but I really hope these somehow get back to BBM developers.

Why can't we just send high quality pictures to our BBM friend straight of the bat? Why is it every time they get a picture from me or I from them, the pictures come in looking crappy. Yea, yea I know we can long press the picture and request high quality version, but I don't want to do that. We shouldn't have to do that. It just looks crappy and makes BBM look second rate. Especially when WhatsApp not only sends high quality pictures but they also appear large on the chat screen instead of small, like they appear on BBM.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 01:26 PM
    It's for data saving.

I agree they should put an option to make it automatic, but both involved parties would have to agree to it
    08-11-14 01:34 PM
    Because some people like me don't want a high quality picture of every meme or funny shot people send me. I find the quality is perfectly fine for my own use and when I get the odd picture that I want to save, then I request the high quality version. If you're sending photos from a birthday party or a trip, then email them or send them via Dropbox.

Also, note that from what I remember, Whatsapp also compresses pictures, just not to the same extend as BlackBerry. But at least with BlackBerry, you can request the full quality version.
    08-11-14 01:36 PM
    High quality pictures take up lots of data. When I send a picture by bbm it's pretty much a throwaway. If I really want to send a high quality one, I can do. I honestly don't see the issue I'm afraid.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor and yvpan1 like this.
    08-11-14 01:36 PM
    This has been spoken about many times. I can send a pic on GPRS out in the sticks if required. If it was high quality then this wouldn't be possible.

Also, some people are on limited data plans and might not want to receive my full resolution xMB picture and vice versa.

Having an option to enable receiving high res pics at all times is a want and has been mentioned many times on BBM feedback to surveys, check out the BBM forums on BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor and Banco like this.
    08-11-14 01:37 PM
    You know why BBM uses less data than whatsapp? Because of things like this. It doesn't use unnecessary data if it doesn't need to. It doesn't make it second rate. Priorities are different.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    08-11-14 01:45 PM
    Because some people like me don't want a high quality picture of every meme or funny shot people send me. I find the quality is perfectly fine for my own use and when I get the odd picture that I want to save, then I request the high quality version. If you're sending photos from a birthday party or a trip, then email them or send them via Dropbox.

Also, note that from what I remember, Whatsapp also compresses pictures, just not to the same extend as BlackBerry. But at least with BlackBerry, you can request the full quality version.
    I hear what you're saying but in that case I think BSpence87 has the right idea. It should be a pre determined selection in settings between you and your friends on BBM so that you don't have to continuously do a long press just to get a decent picture. I'm sorry but you get good crisp pictures on WhatsApp and it works just fine. Speaking in general if you don't care about the quality of the picture, than you won't mind if the pictures comes nice and clear so the rest of us can enjoy them.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 05:15 PM
    This has been spoken about many times. I can send a pic on GPRS out in the sticks if required. If it was high quality then this wouldn't be possible.

Also, some people are on limited data plans and might not want to receive my full resolution xMB picture and vice versa.

Having an option to enable receiving high res pics at all times is a want and has been mentioned many times on BBM feedback to surveys, check out the BBM forums on BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    This makes sense g33. And I can appreciate what your dilemma is. I guess like I said before we should have the option in settings for those of us who want to get the better quality without having to do the long press and request it.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 05:19 PM
    How do you long press and get the full quality?

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 05:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    Touch the picture and hold until the side bar option pop up.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 05:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    The Long press doesn't immediately give you a better quality picture it just gives you the option to request the better quality picture then you have to wait for the other person to accept. Too complicated, unfortunately, yet another reason the few friends I have left on BBM are going back to WhatsApp.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 08:29 PM
    The Long press doesn't immediately give you a better quality picture it just gives you the option to request the better quality picture then you have to wait for the other person to accept. Too complicated, unfortunately, yet another reason the few friends I have left on BBM are going back to WhatsApp.

Posted via CB10
    Too complicated? You gotta be kiddin'.

BBM handle compressed pictures just fine. The only time me and my friends request for higher quality is whenever we send gifs.
    yvpan1 likes this.
    08-11-14 08:40 PM
    When I long press a picture (tried in photo app and bbm) I do not see the option to choose the quality to share

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 09:26 PM
    For me I would want high quality as default, sometimes if I get sent a pic of an article to read I can't even read it cause it pixilated too much. Plus if I am sending pics from my BlackBerry I want to show off how good it can take a pic, not be compressed and make it look worse

2mb for a high quality HDR doesn't seem like it's too high to send for me. I could understand if it was like 15mb a pic but when does that happen

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 09:28 PM
    When I long press a picture (tried in photo app and bbm) I do not see the option to choose the quality to share
    If someone sends you a photo in BBM, press and hold on the thumbnail of the photo in the chat. You will then be presented with an option on the right side to request a high quality version from the sender.

For me I would want high quality as default...
    2mb for a high quality HDR doesn't seem like it's too high to send for me. I could understand if it was like 15mb a pic but when does that happen
    2 MB here and 2 MB there add up very quickly when you're roaming. I sure as heck wouldn't want that!
    08-11-14 10:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    The person you sent it to has to request for higher quality.
    08-11-14 10:39 PM
    The person you sent it to has to request for higher quality.
    Oh awesome, I didn't know that was there.. after seeing how it's set up, this way does make a lot of sense

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 11:30 PM
    I can say one thing for sure, BBM should compress images so much. They can pump up the quality a little bit. Not for getting HQ pics everytime. But a little better quality would be better. Whatsapp is doing that good. Let's face it. It's not using crazy data. On an average 20-25KB more per pic. Which seems to be making all the difference. I am sure people wouldn't mind that extra 20-25Kb.
    08-11-14 11:54 PM
    While I don't find it difficult and I agree it's a great way to keep the data down, the real problem lies in the lack of explanation to new users. You shouldn't be able to even use BBM without a full tutorial on every feature.

"BB POWERED" C001C1D66
    08-12-14 12:03 AM
    I can say one thing for sure, BBM should compress images so much. They can pump up the quality a little bit. Not for getting HQ pics everytime. But a little better quality would be better. Whatsapp is doing that good. Let's face it. It's not using crazy data. On an average 20-25KB more per pic. Which seems to be making all the difference. I am sure people wouldn't mind that extra 20-25Kb.
    Hmm it's KB compressed to MB when on HQ it adds up quickly. Have the default setting as is but give people the option to always give HQ. I can agree with that yes.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    08-12-14 12:54 AM
    I think that all that nitty-gritty shouldn't apply when you are fully connected to Wifi. Even the mere fact of having to ask the other guy to confirm your request of a HQ it's just too much admin.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 10:43 AM
    I think that all that nitty-gritty shouldn't apply when you are fully connected to Wifi. Even the mere fact of having to ask the other guy to confirm your request of a HQ it's just too much admin.

Posted via CB10
    What if the person at the other end isn't connected to wifi? I'd be less than pleased to send or receive a hi res image of my friend's dog on the other side of the world when roaming.
    08-12-14 10:53 AM
    I think we should have an option to send in HQ then when the other person receives the photo they have an option to save in HQ without requesting it, or just a permanent receive in high quality option would suffice

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 10:59 AM
    It's like you guys don't know reasonable compromises. Has to be all or nothing for you. Lol.

There should be two new options: automatically request hq and automatically accept hq requests.

That way, if two people want nothing but hq they can get it. Otherwise they can conserve bandwidth.

Posted via CB10
    StephanieMaks and bspence87 like this.
    08-12-14 11:24 AM
    It's like you guys don't know reasonable compromises. Has to be all or nothing for you. Lol.

There should be two new options: automatically request hq and automatically accept hq requests.

That way, if two people want nothing but hq they can get it. Otherwise they can conserve bandwidth.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    08-12-14 11:26 AM
35 12