With every OS 10.2 release, the Google Play Services errors on my Z10 (STL 100-4, OS 10.2.1.2976) get worse and worse. I have the latest version of Play Services from Snap. When I run any Android-based app -- not just native apps installed from Snap or the Amazon app store, but even the official BB Android-ported apps like Kindle and Skype -- I get the "Unfortunately, Google Play Services has stopped" dialogue box about every 3-5 seconds. The apps don't crash; they seem to run contentedly when you tap OK. But they are basically unusable because the error box pops up continually. Are other people experiencing this? Aside from deleting and reinstalling apps, wiping and restoring the device, all of which I've tried, are there any other fixes? In the Dark Ages of 10.0 and 10.1 I never had any problems with Kindle and other official BB versions of Android apps. Will things improve with 10.3?

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 05:25 PM
    Snap doesn't install Google Services, it just allows you access to the apps. Google has made the decision to encourage integration of Google Services into Android applications. This increases Google's control over their platform and also rewards those who are a part of the Open Handset Alliance. It also differentiates Android from the variants like Amazon's Fire OS, and the Cyanogen mods, as well as the BlackBerry Android runtime.

To be certain of Android based applications running without the need for Google Services you'll need to either install ported apps from BlackBerry World or the Amazon app store.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 05:37 PM
    You need a patched version of Google Play services. Check my signature for more details.

Sent from my Q10 using CB Forums mobile app
    hmptec likes this.
    08-10-14 05:51 PM
    Thanks Cobalt232, I'll try your version. But why should I need any version of Play Services installed to run the official BB10 Kindle app?

rthonpn, thanks but you read my post too quicky. The problem occurs with apps downloaded from BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kleinpg; 08-10-14 at 07:19 PM.
    08-10-14 06:03 PM
    Google Play services are used for various features, i.e. displaying map content.

Sent from my Q10 using CB Forums mobile app
    08-10-14 06:11 PM
    Yes, I understand. But I'm not trying to run Google Maps, just the BlackBerry World versions of Kindle and Skype. Does anyone else think it's weird that these should yield a Play Services error?

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 07:21 PM
    Kudos to Cobalt for the all the hard work on these patches. Unfortunately, I'm still having troubles. To keep things simple, I'll restrict my discussion to the Kindle app.

1. I installed Lucky Patcher and the patched version of Google Play Services according to the instructions at http://forums.crackberry.com/android...atcher-947141/.

2. I still get the "Unfortunately, Google Play Services has stopped" error when running the "official" BlackBerry version of Kindle, i.e., the one you download from BlackBerry World. Of course, it's an Android port, but should run smoothly without any additional Google Play Services dependencies. In any case, in Lucky Patcher, the message under the Kindle app is "Nothing to patch here."

3. The Play Services error occurs even when the Kindle app is the only open app. I assume that the Kindle app doesn't call upon Google Play Services, so perhaps another Android app is running in the background; if so, is there a way to detect and kill or uninstall the problem app?

4. My basic confusion is expressed in the post just above this one. Why does BBOS know or care that I have Google Play Services installed -- patched or otherwise -- when running an Android-based app that does not use any of these services?
    08-13-14 04:23 PM